OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16 ... 28  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 28]

blackpool

Wow that's some incredible creations!!! Totally in love with the extended behind the scene/ building process, it looks so simple when you show and explain everything so well!

( I can only dream about the day you and ephiane meet and bring both your heroic fantasy collections)

Thanks for sharing bro!

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
I wish I knew more about printing on cloth. I actually have a printer that can do it, but haven't tried it out yet. Looks like you got the black and white versions of the patterns working well, which is still very encouraging and promising. The one on purple, even when I first saw it, seemed to me to have too little contrast between pattern and background. Perhaps this also had an impact on the printer's interpretation (though I can't know that that is precisely what happened), and resulted in an indistinct pattern and darker background? Also, and I'm sure you know this, screen color is subject to various conditions (settings, back-light) that don't apply to printed color.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

shovelchop81

blackpool wrote:Wow that's some incredible creations!!! Totally in love with the extended behind the scene/ building process, it looks so simple when you show and explain everything so well!

( I can only dream about the day you and ephiane meet and bring both your heroic fantasy collections)

Thanks for sharing bro!

Thanks blackpool! Hearing that cheered me up! As for ephiane and my fantasy collections met it would probably be like 'The Battle Of The Five Armies'! lol.

GubernatorFan wrote:I wish I knew more about printing on cloth. I actually have a printer that can do it, but haven't tried it out yet. Looks like you got the black and white versions of the patterns working well, which is still very encouraging and promising. The one on purple, even when I first saw it, seemed to me to have too little contrast between pattern and background. Perhaps this also had an impact on the printer's interpretation (though I can't know that that is precisely what happened), and resulted in an indistinct pattern and darker background? Also, and I'm sure you know this, screen color is subject to various conditions (settings, back-light) that don't apply to printed color.

Ah well thought my printer being a Canon would be decent enough to catch the pattern but I guess not, cheers for the tip on colour differences between the monitor (large tv in my case so even more contrast!)and the printer; I guess when in doubt go light? I've ordered some more ink (got a refund from aliexpress that only took 3 days to be available in my account! I now believe in miracles!!) but went ahead and painted it with the purple goo I'd already made for the tunic purpleizing, not the best purple but I have a lot of work to still do to the patterns to make them pop and be more 3D using pencils etc.. Then make them subtle but in white...basically the black pattern is just there as a guide!

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 HX2WBs9

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 IP77bmy

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 MZqKwrU

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 OWwiuu2

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Well done! They do pop. Once your whole elements are given that treatment and they are in place, I'm sure they will look just right.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:Well done! They do pop. Once your whole elements are given that treatment and they are in place, I'm sure they will look just right.

Getting there, taking turns sewing (badly but it will be covered) and working on the pattern, finished the white, now I get to do it again in purple! This is starting to feel like my Balin build but hopefully less sewing required (that was a marathon of intricate stitching). After the purple, probably a watered down sepia ink wash then a coat of PVA clear, remove backing paper and mount it on thin foam, cut to size and attach either with glew or thread to the tunic..

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 COJIi8D

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 QV5nKhb

blackpool

blackpool
shovelchop81 wrote:
blackpool wrote:Wow that's some incredible creations!!! Totally in love with the extended behind the scene/ building process, it looks so simple when you show and explain everything so well!

Thanks for sharing bro!

Thanks blackpool! Hearing that cheered me up! As for ephiane and my fantasy collections met it would probably be like 'The Battle Of The Five Armies'! lol.

Well I wouldn't mind Very Happy

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Got the pattern pretty close to where I wanted it (after chasing my tail for hours redoing all the white over and over again until I realised it was a chalk pencil and not a wax one DOH! so redid it with a wax one). I then decided to seal and protect it with matte clear acrylic, 2nd dumb move of the day as it made the white and purple smudge together and somehow come out (no pun intended) looking like the LGBT+ flag!! Well that was two days work down the drain, tried to fix it with a siena ink wash but that just made it look like a dirty LGBT+ flag. Gone over it again with the original purple goo I used to start with. I think I'll just redo the white and purple detailing again on parts as I use them since I won't need all of it hopefully! A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 1f623

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 ZVyjiAE

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 EtttIXR

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 9l8pimO

And I thought this would be an easy build....

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Who would have thought that would prove the most difficult part of the build? I have no doubt you will get it just right in the end, and am happy to see you persevere. Blackpool's idea bout you and Ephiane meeting with your collections (and documenting said summit amply) is pure genius. One can dream...

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Great work, it's amazing to see how you turn so many parts into a complete figure.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 1f60e

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:Who would have thought that would prove the most difficult part of the build? I have no doubt you will get it just right in the end, and am happy to see you persevere. Blackpool's idea bout you and Ephiane meeting with your collections (and documenting said summit amply) is pure genius. One can dream...

I'm really feeling bad for those poor people in sweatshops who have to do repetitive work everyday for peanuts! Doing the white AGAIN...waiting for the violet ink to arrive etc... I don't even like this character!! bom

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 FvDhVko

Theboo-bomb wrote:Great work, it's amazing to see how you turn so many parts into a complete figure.

Thanks! That's the joy of scratch building, looking at little junk objects and seeing something useful in them for a build.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Well this is looking much improved already. And they say patience is a virtue... just not one of my many virtues... Smile

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
It looks like all the repetitive (hard) work is paying off — even if you don’t like the character (I didn’t either).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 C8485110

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:Well this is looking much improved already. And they say patience is a virtue... just not one of my many virtues... Smile

Stryker2011 wrote:It looks like all the repetitive (hard) work is paying off — even if you don’t like the character (I didn’t either).

Thanks guys! I'm calling the pattern done! I must have gone over the white 10x already, then purple marker, then purple ink, more white.. On a side note I did get to explore some pretty good photo editing apps and filters for my new phone which might help with the next barrage of Dwarvish patterns! You might notice I slowly changed the pattern design to make it more angular (more of a diamond than a geometric horse shoe shape) so it was much easier to keep it looking Dwarvish and to repeatedly draw.
Removed the backing paper and glued onto thin foam and waiting to be measured, then cut and attached to the tunic.

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 INi6wUz

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 JJXn947

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 L1cD7kG

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 OibAQur

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 P07onq3

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 RcGiXP3

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 4F0A97T

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 CTf19QH

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
It really pops now. Looking forward to how it looks on the figure.

Ovy

Ovy
You have been busy! Will that be the last dwarf?

There is a lot to like, Oins's beautiful mace, the hearing horn, his beard (although I think you could rework his eyes),
the beautiful red Price Charles dwarf, I think he is one of my favourites,
your lovely mugshot
and your dedication of that purple tunic and your work on the pattern. An of course that Ori dude in casual streetwear.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:It really pops now. Looking forward to how it looks on the figure.

Cheers GTF!

Ovy wrote:You have been busy! Will that be the last dwarf?

There is a lot to like, Oins's beautiful mace, the hearing horn, his beard (although I think you could rework his eyes),
the beautiful red Price Charles dwarf, I think he is one of my favourites,
your lovely mugshot
and your dedication of that purple tunic and your work on the pattern. An of course that Ori dude in casual streetwear.

Thanks OVI! The last Dwarf? Nope! Still got Boffur, Fili, Kili and Thorin to go yet, then a young Bilbo. Also got Arwen and a Uruk-Hai soldier lined up, possibly the forest wizard who saves Gandalf too.
As for Oin's eyes, I wanted him to look a bit insane and confused as the actor did a lot of 'eye popping' expressions in the film. I've always had a problem with doing eyes but slowly getting better I hope. The Prince Charles Dwarf? Oh you mean he met Prince Charles, I thought you meant he looked like him!!!!lol.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I think you could create an awesome little troop of Uruk-Hai and orcs. Heck, you totally should! Smile

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:I think you could create an awesome little troop of Uruk-Hai and orcs. Heck, you totally should! Smile

LOL, I already have! Wink Grishnak, Moria archer Orc in full armour with removable helmet and Lurtz the Uruk-Hai leader complete with big axe bladed bow, arrows and quiver (hard to see those in the pics but I can't reach him!) are my own custom scratch builds not Asmus or SideShow.

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 6Rd30Co

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 D1lWbIB

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 RRPqHsV

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 U1TKhHs

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Alright. Some of these actually look a little familiar, maybe we've seen them before after all. They look really good. But can you ever have enough orcs and Uruk-hai? Wink I mean, you've got so many many dwarves! Wink

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:Alright. Some of these actually look a little familiar, maybe we've seen them before after all. They look really good. But can you ever have enough orcs and Uruk-hai? Wink I mean, you've got so many many dwarves! Wink

Just noticed Gothmorg's hand has fallen off! Due to the heavy mace I guess, they should have made it out of plastic not polystone! The Dwarves are essentially a set, so if you make one you need to make the rest! I have two Asmus Elven archers stuck in Taiwan due to covid shipping issues, been months now...

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Those Uruk-Hai are absolutely amazing. I remember when I used to raid in WoW, my orc death knight I tried to make him look like one but there was no way to get close to that rather iconic look or I just failed game fashion.

That pattern work is also top notch, I like how the fabric looks, it has the appearance of being woven and thick like on the 1:1 costume.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 1f60e

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Theboo-bomb wrote:Those Uruk-Hai are absolutely amazing. I remember when I used to raid in WoW, my orc death knight I tried to make him look like one but there was no way to get close to that rather iconic look or I just failed game fashion.

That pattern work is also top notch, I like how the fabric looks, it has the appearance of being woven and thick like on the 1:1 costume.

Thank you very much TBB! Took me a while but I got there, think I'm a bit rusty! LOL. I know nothing about playing computer games or games in general but I do know a bit about copyright and patent law as a designer, the Jackson LOTR character designs are heavily protected, they even went as far as to destroy all the masks, props, ears, feet etc.. right after filming the movies.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
They always say that 'the devil is in the detail', I'm not sure exactly what that means except perhaps that detail work is hard because I'm pretty sure detail work isn't 'evil' unless you have a phobia of some kind about it. Well whatever it is I've been doing a lot of it the last few days, had to retailor the tunic a bit as you will see the hem line initially was sticking out at a whacky angle once the boarders were glued on. The thread I need to use (still sewing) to sew the boarders in place decided it was going to behave like a cat had played with it, so I'm cutting it in shorter than normal sections and taking a bit longer to finish as I'm using double thread stitches as usual. The rest is pretty explanatory, the poppers are being used as buttons that will have loop closures like Oin's coat.

WRONG SHAPE

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 OSsuPY1

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 XRpTZ6y

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 P80cvzW

RIGHT SHAPE

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 5fUqziY

MAKING THE BELT AND BUCKLE, REINFORCED WITH PLEATHER AND A LOT OF SAWING ON A NUT!

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 SCm99mO

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 2FXnN2X

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 VZNoIck

PVA STOPS BELT DETERIORATING A THREAD AT A TIME AND PROTECTS INK FROM BEEN QUICKLY WORN OFF.

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 EWIsxck

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 YMssPa4

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 7AMBxhA

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 XHjlsmN

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 82T0pzR

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 59qDjHE

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 VrzXgzJ

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 Thga111

BEFORE CLEAN UP OF GLUE AND FREEING UP PRONG.

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 XBfqxrZ

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 7T2q9AV

AFTER.

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 1yRDNDZ

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 GybF1yH

BELT ATTACHED TRADITIONALLY.

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 MSGap1U

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 6RBsfTu

BUTTONS

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 TIIcJ4g

BLACKENED.

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 1qSIKZ4

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 5c7NeSe

THREAD FROM HELL.

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 QqDci8H

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 0QkdVcQ

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 B21OIEP

BIT WONKY BUT STILL WORKING ON IT.

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 UeZbBE3

Pontiacivan

Pontiacivan
Always,always,always a pleasure to read your posts. I have learned so much from top your crafting skills. I have even applied some of your solutions to my work world.
There are so many ways to get from point A to point B!
I lament some of the figures I had as a kid and discarded when I thought they were “unrepairable”!
Thanks for sharing!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Impressive, Alex. That belt buckle is something else. Really amazing attention to such a small detail.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

A CROWN IS BORN../ The Hobbit Dwarves etc.. WIP's & Finished Builds Part 2 - Page 6 C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I second Stryker. Excellent detail. Can't wait to see how it all comes together.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Pontiacivan wrote:Always,always,always a pleasure to read your posts. I have learned so much from top your crafting skills. I have even applied some of your solutions to my work world.
There are so many ways to get from point A to point B!
I lament some of the figures I had as a kid and discarded when I thought they were “unrepairable”!
Thanks for sharing!

Thank you so much Pontiacivan! A pleasure to hear from you again too! We all broke things and they got chucked as kids, the worst thing I did was leave boxes full of what now are highly sought after collectables in a basement when we moved house because I was then a teenager and had 'grown out' of that 'silly kids stuff'...

Stryker2011 wrote:Impressive, Alex. That belt buckle is something else. Really amazing attention to such a small detail.

Thank you! I was quite pleased with finding the perfect nut to make it from! LOL.

GubernatorFan wrote:I second Stryker. Excellent detail. Can't wait to see how it all comes together.

More sewing done but been finishing a marathon of a review for you guys on the 1/6 Bemular figure by Eastern Models and Illusion Studios(?), it's definitely not concise without too many pictures like yours are, I went overboard as usual! Wink

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:By the way, in case you missed it, check out this thread:

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t4697-new-product-syy-toys-syy-toys-no-004-1-6-scale-ringwraith?nid=16#64744

Cheers have done now thanks to you! Think I already have The Nine but they're bloody hard to count in the dark!! Twisted Evil

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 28]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 16 ... 28  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum