OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

LaserLines sixth-scale room box/diorama elements, Part I

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
After passing these MDF (wood-based product) surfaces and elements for dioramas and dollhouses by a few times, I decided to give them a chance, and ordered the first few months ago from LaserLines, an Arizona-based shop selling through Etsy.  They arrived quickly and safely, and I was struck by how sturdy and precise they were.  So I ordered more on a couple of additional occasions.  Having been pretty busy, I did not have the chance to do anything with them, apart from see how they come together and work, which was all pretty easy.  Since Mark is advancing in his construction of his own little Westworld, I thought these could possibly be useful.

Let me point out that the surfaces are meant to be painted or covered up with printed (or 3D printed?) elements of your choice, and what I show below is a bare minimum intended to demonstrate the basic appearance and possibilities of the product that would be mailed to you.  I intend to keep them modular and to be able to use both sides of each wall, so I did not glue the couple of brackets they provide to keep the surfaces perfectly flush with each other, or anything else, so they will not align perfectly in the photos.  But you can achieve that easily. 

Even after three orders and several sets, taken apart, the surfaces and elements are very compact.

Window - LaserLines sixth-scale room box/diorama elements, Part I Laserl10

I ordered effectively four sets, almost every one of which allows for various custom options. Mine were:
A corner set with hardwood floor pattern, one wall with a door, and one wall with tall windows.
A corner set with hardwood floor pattern, one plain wall, and one wall with arched windows.
A middle set with hardwood floor pattern, one plain wall.
A middle set with hardwood floor pattern, one wall with tall windows.
Additionally, I purchased trim for the door, two trim sets for the two sets of tall windows, and a trim set for the arched windows.  These trims are quite low in price.  I also bought a little chalkboard.  Included for free were a couple of brackets to keep the walls flush with each other (which I didn't use), and a little gift in an envelope.

Window - LaserLines sixth-scale room box/diorama elements, Part I Laserl11

Unimaginatively putting together the four sets side by side (perhaps compensating for how cramped sixth scale environment pieces can be), we get the following.  I attached the trim temporarily using Sticky Putty.  Again, one can make the floor and wall surfaces flush with each other, but I was in a bit of a hurry and did not want to attempt any potentially permanent solutions.  The four "squares" measure 14.25 x 14.25 inches at the bottom, and the height of the walls is 14 inches.  They can be assembled in different configurations (the squares do not actually attach to each other, the corner walls interlock where they meet).  

Window - LaserLines sixth-scale room box/diorama elements, Part I Laserl12

I would say that the result is a workable minimal depth and height for sixth scale figures and furniture (of course, a different configuration would add more depth instead of width, etc). For example, here it is with a larger bed.

Window - LaserLines sixth-scale room box/diorama elements, Part I Laserl13

Window - LaserLines sixth-scale room box/diorama elements, Part I Laserl14

And here with a sofa, coffee table, and flat screen TV (of course, these could be lined up against the wall, and then there would be plenty of space in front of them). Note: the flat screen TV, remote control, and DVDs, all very simple affairs but the look is effective, come from a different Etsy shop, BijouDollsHouseShop.

Window - LaserLines sixth-scale room box/diorama elements, Part I Laserl15

Window - LaserLines sixth-scale room box/diorama elements, Part I Laserl16

Window - LaserLines sixth-scale room box/diorama elements, Part I Laserl17

Different configuration with much the same elements.  Of course, the windows and door are see-through, more on that below.

Window - LaserLines sixth-scale room box/diorama elements, Part I Laserl18

Window - LaserLines sixth-scale room box/diorama elements, Part I Laserl19

I have yet to get a door -- they have that too, with tiny hinges that work -- but here I've moved the right corner area to make a new left corner area to the other side of the door.  Didn't even have to reassemble it or the items inside it. Because I swapped the walls but did not transfer the trim to the other side, you can see how the arched windows look without trim.

Window - LaserLines sixth-scale room box/diorama elements, Part I Laserl20

An older photo, when I had different figures lying around, demonstrating the suitability of seeing a landscape (or cityscape, or whatever) image on a screen beyond the windows. I'd say it works pretty well, especially if you watch the perspective and angle (which is less than ideal in the photo).

Window - LaserLines sixth-scale room box/diorama elements, Part I Laserl21

While I have clearly not used these to their full potential yet (that will be in Part II, if it happens), I think these pieces are very promising. With a handful of sets and a couple of extra elements, one could do so much.  Even permanent treatment to a surface still allows us to use the other side, and I suppose one could overlay if needed.  The sturdiness of these MDF surfaces seems to me a great advantage over cardboard and foamboard, which warp (even more so if you get them wet with paint or glue).

I may be rediscovering the wheel (no experience with doll houses), but finding these sturdy modular pieces in sixth scale seemed like a worthwhile find and something to share.  Most of the floor and wall sets are about $30-45 (USD), depending on whether it is two surfaces or three.  Trims and other elements are significantly lower in price.  Shipping is free (at least to the US), although that might depend on the price of what's in your cart.  Given that one can use both surfaces, and that they are very sturdy, I think it was worth it.  Of course, now I have to actually put them to good use. Smile

Hope this is useful.

Links:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/LaserLines
https://www.etsy.com/shop/BijouDollsHouseShop

#diorama #wall #floor #window #mdf #laserlines

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Pretty cool. The windows and doors are the wrong shape and style for my needs, but still pretty cool.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Window - LaserLines sixth-scale room box/diorama elements, Part I C8485110

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Pretty cool. The windows and doors are the wrong shape and style for my needs, but still pretty cool.

Thank you, though I had little to do with it. I know this would have required adjustment to work for you, but was hoping that with the superimposition of other elements it might work. They do have a couple more options, check out their listings. Moreover, I suspect they might be open to doing a special project that they might end up selling as another line of products.

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
Looks nice, uses the same material and techniques as the room I recently put together:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t5876-robotime-diy-miniature-house-soho-room

For the windows: since they're from two parts, you could (have) put a clear plastic sheet between them, so there's a 'glass' window, this improves the look quite a lot. And of course painting the walls and frames also improves it.

Wallpaper on the walls is another option. It shouldn't be hard to find printable patterns on the internet.

But you probably have thought all that for part II.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
TravelGuide wrote:Looks nice, uses the same material and techniques as the room I recently put together:
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t5876-robotime-diy-miniature-house-soho-room

For the windows: since they're from two parts, you could (have) put a clear plastic sheet between them, so there's  a 'glass' window, this improves the look quite a lot. And of course painting the walls and frames also improves it.

Wallpaper on the walls is another option. It shouldn't be hard to find printable patterns on the internet.

But you probably have thought all that for part II.

Thank you, just experimenting. I haven't gotten to Part II, just wanted to have something for Mark and everyone else to look at and see if it could be useful with a lot of (not too difficult) customization. Neat as they are, these surfaces do not easily convince without treatment of the kind you mentioned.

If I were to put thin clear plastic sheets for the windows, I would do it on the back side of the wall, so that the grilles would appear in front of the "glass" (in reality they are both in front and behind at the same time). Sticking the clear plastic between the trim and the wall would be more natural, perhaps, but it would look wrong from that point of view.

Indeed, I have been thinking of wallpaper -- whether wallpaper meant to look like wallpaper, or wallpaper meant to look like brick, etc.

csyeung

csyeung
those are pretty awesome! Thanks for sharing GF. Really adds to the settings.

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
GubernatorFan wrote:

If I were to put thin clear plastic sheets for the windows, I would do it on the back side of the wall, so that the grilles would appear in front of the "glass" (in reality they are both in front and behind at the same time). Sticking the clear plastic between the trim and the wall would be more natural, perhaps, but it would look wrong from that point of view.

Indeed, I have been thinking of wallpaper -- whether wallpaper meant to look like wallpaper, or wallpaper meant to look like brick, etc.
Ah, yes, the trims don't have the grilles in them, they should have. Frankly it would have been better if the windows had been separate parts (i.e. the wall with a gap where the window shouls be, and then the window having two parts where you can put a plastic sheet inbetween).

And indeed you can get wallpaper-wallpaper or brick-wallpaper (or other designs, like panelling).

Valiarde

Valiarde
Very nice, interesting thread. I few weeks ago I bought some mdf Star Wars Death Star Panels - which turned out pretty well!
I like your room already. Maybe I need also some "backdrops" for some photography projects. Smile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
csyeung wrote:those are pretty awesome! Thanks for sharing GF. Really adds to the settings.

You are welcome, and I'm glad you liked it. I think it has a lot of potential, and makes diorama/backdrop making easier at any level of skill.

TravelGuide wrote:Ah, yes, the trims don't have the grilles in them, they should have. Frankly it would have been better if the windows had been separate parts (i.e. the wall with a gap where the window shouls be, and then the window having two parts where you can put a plastic sheet inbetween).

And indeed you can get wallpaper-wallpaper or brick-wallpaper (or other designs, like panelling).

Good point about the trims, although maybe the grilles are expected to be more recessed than the window frame. I don't know. Smile

As for "wallpapers," that was always the plan, down the line.

Valiarde wrote:Very nice, interesting thread. I few weeks ago I bought some mdf Star Wars Death Star Panels - which turned out pretty well!
I like your room already. Maybe I need also some "backdrops" for some photography projects. Smile

Than you very much. Your real 3D walls and windows and doors are so much more stunning. But, when you need to make a shortcut, these might provide viable ways of doing so even for you. I should look into those MDF Death Star panels. Do you happen to have a link?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I’ll see if these guys are willing to make square windows, and the right kind of doors. Pretty neat stuff. I found a couple websites awhile ago where she had free printable images of different wallpaper styles from the Victorian Era to modern day, and copied the images for later use.

https://www.printmini.com/index.html

http://www.jennifersprintables.com/

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:I’ll see if these guys are willing to make square windows, and the right kind of doors. Pretty neat stuff. I found a couple websites awhile ago where she had free printable images of different wallpaper styles from the Victorian Era to modern day, and copied the images for later use.

Thanks for the links. As for LaserLines, they do have square windows, I saw some on their other products, and trim for them. I think I even saw a two-story basic house with them, but I forget whether it was sixth-scale. They also have a larger door opening for "French doors" that might work for the swing doors of a saloon (or would it be too wide?). I'm pretty sure they would be willing to do a custom project, and would realize the potential of adding yet another set of products to their menu for other customers.  Good luck.

Valiarde

Valiarde
GubernatorFan wrote:[ I should look into those MDF Death Star panels.  Do you happen to have a link?

I found this one on etsy when looking for the typical death star panels: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1050724684/death-star-diorama-hot-toys-16-scale?ref=yr_purchases

I asked the etsy shop owner, if instead of the whole thing he could provide me only panels with those holes. I also asked him for custom sizes, as I wanted the walls to be even higher than those in the offering. He could.
So just write him a message what you want, what size you want and amount and he can manage that.  Smile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Valiarde wrote:I found this one on etsy when looking for the typical death star panels: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1050724684/death-star-diorama-hot-toys-16-scale?ref=yr_purchases

I asked the etsy shop owner, if instead of the whole thing he could provide me only panels with those holes. I also asked him for custom sizes, as I wanted the walls to be even higher than those in the offering. He could.
So just write him a message what you want, what size you want and amount and he can manage that.  Smile

Thank you very much for the links and info, Simon, I will look into it. I should probably reprint my current DS backdrops (which have suffered with time) to begin with.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That's good to know, Simon. Thanks. I'm going to have to ask for some custom stuff as well. My Star Wars collection (for good or bad) keeps growing and growing.

Ovy

Ovy
Yep that's a more convenient way to put stuff together and I love how little space it takes away when disassembled. That floor would look great and high quality with some shiny wood paint.
Considered something like that too once but decided it would be too expensive and just do it myself with inferior materials that are probably much more expensive in the sum of it all, haha.

I'd be careful around those two handymen as they are notorious for removing people's heads.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:Yep that's a more convenient way to put stuff together and I love how little space it takes away when disassembled. That floor would look great and high quality with some shiny wood paint.
Considered something like that too once but decided it would be too expensive and just do it myself with inferior materials that are probably much more expensive in the sum of it all, haha.

I'd be careful around those two handymen as they are notorious for removing people's heads.

I see you remember their last appearance (if it was their last, I've lost track)... Smile No heads were taken off that day, I assure you.

To be honest, I wonder about painting these surfaces. They are super sturdy and I think the product information indicated that they are paintable, but being made of wood (particles, I imagine). They certainly don't warp by themselves, the way that cardboard and foamboard do. I like their versatility, even if I end up merely covering them temporarily (or permanently) with printed out wall patterns, etc.

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
GubernatorFan wrote:
Ovy wrote:Yep that's a more convenient way to put stuff together and I love how little space it takes away when disassembled. That floor would look great and high quality with some shiny wood paint.

I see you remember their last appearance (if it was their last, I've lost track)... Smile No heads were taken off that day, I assure you.

To be honest, I wonder about painting these surfaces.  They are super sturdy and I think the product information indicated that they are paintable, but being made of wood (particles, I imagine). They certainly don't warp by themselves, the way that cardboard and foamboard do. I like their versatility, even if I end up merely covering them temporarily (or permanently) with printed out wall patterns, etc.
MDF is made of small woodparticles glued together. It's paintable. If you remember the Robotimeroom I put together recently, the walls and windows were of MDF too. I painted them (white) with the paint that was included in the kit. There was no label on it, but it looked and acted like acrylic paint, so I'm pretty sure it was.

Be careful with water though. The main surface can handle a bit of water, but probably not if it gets exposed to it for a longer time, and if you get on the edges, they will likely expand.

You can easily cut it with a saw, but it releases a lot of dust and wearing a mask is recommended.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
TravelGuide wrote:MDF is made of small woodparticles glued together. It's paintable. If you remember the Robotimeroom I put together recently, the walls and windows were of MDF too. I painted them (white) with the paint that was included in the kit. There was no label on it, but it looked and acted like acrylic paint, so I'm pretty sure it was.

Be careful with water though. The main surface can handle a bit of water, but probably not if it gets exposed to it for a longer time, and if you get on the edges, they will likely expand.

You can easily cut it with a saw, but it releases a lot of dust and wearing a mask is recommended.

Thank you for confirming about the composition of MDF, and its ability to be painted. I thought so, but it's nice to hear testimony about your actual experience. That makes the product even more versatile.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I have a few questions, Ian.

1. When you asked them for custom sizes, did you give them measurements for the doors and windows, or were those standard?

2. Can they make the walls higher, or is 14" the maximum?

3. Do they also make "wall boards/trim" -- like crown-moulding and running boards along the floor and ceiling? (I didn't see a lot of options for it in 1/6 scale).

4. How much did your custom requests run you?

5. Can anyone confirm if these MDF walls can take glue of any kind (to add wallpaper)? Or is that similar to the "water"?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
Stryker2011 wrote:
5. Can anyone confirm if these MDF walls can take glue of any kind (to add wallpaper)? Or is that similar to the "water"?
They can take glue, adding wallpaper should be no problem. The robotimeroom I mentioned a few posts before had a bottle of clear glue included. I'm not sure what it's called, but it's cheap type of glue usually sold in bottles of about 100 ml as 'hobbylijm' (hobbyglue) here in the Netherlands.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Cool. Thanks for the info TravelGuide.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:I have a few questions, Ian.

1. When you asked them for custom sizes, did you give them measurements for the doors and windows, or were those standard?

2. Can they make the walls higher, or is 14" the maximum?

3.  Do they also make "wall boards/trim" -- like crown-moulding and running boards along the floor and ceiling? (I didn't see a lot of options for it in 1/6 scale).

4. How much did your custom requests run you?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Hi Mark.

I did not mean to imply that what you see here was a custom order. I just ordered products listed on their Etsy store. I wrote that they might do customs, because, if I recall correctly, I saw a review where someone was thanking them for helping him (or her) with a custom project. I think that especially if you can convince them that the custom design they might do for you would sell more generally, they might not up the price much, if at all. Also, ordering an X amount of a certain element might make more fiscal sense than otherwise. I am also positive they have square windows at least in twelfth scale, and I can't see why they would have any trouble making them in sixth scale.

I don't know that they could do crown molding (assuming you mean that curved profile), though you could potentially find some of that in some other Etsy stores; I saw some Etsy listings for sixth-scale (not just twelfth-scale) hardwood floor boards, for example (which are very thin and would have to be glued onto the floor surface). As for regular molding along the bottom of the wall, if that is just like a plank, I cannot see them having any trouble making some as a simple custom.

I have not yet experimented with them taking glue, but from the product descriptions and the reviews, I think they are supposed to work with glue and with painting. In fact, they seem to be intended for that.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Fantastic Ian! Love those set pieces!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
BAMComix wrote:Fantastic Ian! Love those set pieces!
Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked them. They pale in comparison to what you have done at this stage (and perhaps always will, even after customization and sprucing up), and perhaps you do not need any help making your own diorama backdrops and rooms, but I suppose even you could find them potentially useful. I would also imagine there are probably some people on Etsy making something similar in the UK, which might save on time and cost.

BAMComix

BAMComix
To be fair, I wish I could get some over here, those set pieces have so much potential. I'm sure you can make them look amazing!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum