OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Thor (god, not superhero) custom

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Thor (god, not superhero) custom Empty Thor (god, not superhero) custom Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:41 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Another transfer from the old site. I have since made some potential upgrades, with the M35 body (among the review photos HERE) and given him a whole comedy series (HERE, with another actress playing his wife).

Thor

I wanted to make a Thor figure rooted as much as possible in the actual Scandinavian tradition, as opposed to the superhero movie version. I say "as much as possible," because there is very little pictorial or sculptural evidence and what there is, tends to be very simplistic. So after some research, improvisation, customization, kitbashing, and sculpting, I came up with the following figure (picture heavy section at end).

Based on Scandinavian lore and the minimalist available imagery, I settled on a horned helmet (two of those, from the Bronze Age, were found at Veksø in Denmark), a sword, a Norse armlet, and then the three traditional attributes of Thor: an iron glove (one of two Járngreipr), iron hammer (Mjölnir), and warrior belt (Megingjörð). Although the imagery generally depicts the gods and their champions nude (apart from the weaponry, etc.), I added a wolf-skin cape and wolf kilt for the sake of decency. And before anyone says it, apparently the long red beard of the tradition wasn't always conceived of as long or red, while the winged helmet was invented for 19th-century Wagnerian operas.

I sculpted the helmet and the hammer (actually two hammers, one bigger, one smaller) from air-drying clay in a rustic, barbarian manner, painted them with acrylics, put together the belt (actually two belts) from various bronze-finished beads, and used a Spanish rabbit fur for the wolf-skin cape and kilt. The armlet and the clasp for the cape also came from bronze-finished jewelry. All these materials I found at Hobby Lobby. I used Phicen's M34 body, a Hot Toys head sculpt of Chris Hemsworth as Thor, and one of the gloved hands that came with Hot Toys' General Zod. I also added a Kaustic Plastik Roman belt. Since the worship of Thor preceded the Viking Age by almost two millennia, I went for an older, early-to-mid-Iron-Age look.

Hope you like it.

Thor (god, not superhero) custom Attachment

Thor and Friends

Over the last couple of days I made some changes and additions to my Iron-Age non-superhero-movie Thor. To wit, a more accurate and detailed helmet (it came out a tad largish, the old one was a tad smallish), newly created torque and armlets, tunic, a fishing boat, a friend (Hymir), an adversary (Jörmungand), a wife (Sif), and a mistress (or part thereof). These were customized, kitbashed, or put together (like the tunics, jewellery, and drinking horn) by me. It became a bit of a photo essay. Pictures follow below.

You can find a detailed review of the Phicen M34 body HERE.

(Below) Thor showing off his new helmet (great helm?) and wielding his hammer...

(Below) Close up...

(Below) Thor sheds some of his equipment to go fishing with his friend Hymir, and accidentally catches the Midgard serpent Jörmungand... the Evil One gets away... Snakes!

(Below) After all the exertion, Thor cleans up and tries out a fancy new tunic, which was all the rage in AD 600 (or therebouts), which he saw advertised on a helmet plaque buried with a king of the Angles on one of those drizzly western isles...

(Below) Close up...

(Below) Remembering he had a home, Thor goes back there, and his lovely wife Sif dutifully greets him a drinking horn filled with delicious mead. Her annoyance and reproach at her husband's belated homecoming is suitably concealed, yet clearly detectable... Women!

(Below) Ever the gentleman, Thor produces an impromptu bouquet of flowers he must have helped himself to in the nearest god's front yard. For a moment Sif thinks he has remembered their anniversary... or the International Day of the Woman... then she remembers whom she is dealing with... Men!

(Below) Although touched by Thor's effort with the flowers, lovely Sif wanted a very different and much more satisfying gift for their anniversary. And being a woman and a goddess, she had already helped herself to a vital part of one of her rivals for Thor's affection while he wasn't paying attention... Lovely! (and not so innocent)

(Below) And they all lived happily ever after. (Hey, if Marvel and Hollywood can mess up ancient Scandinavian mythology, so can I... No Ragnarok!)

Hope you enjoyed!

2Thor (god, not superhero) custom Empty Re: Thor (god, not superhero) custom Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:28 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nice upgrades. And the photo story with Sif was fun. Did you make the boat from balsam? Nice work all around.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Thor (god, not superhero) custom C8485110

3Thor (god, not superhero) custom Empty Re: Thor (god, not superhero) custom Fri Nov 11, 2022 11:31 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for finally sharing these here! I remember seeing them on the other site but it's great to have them all in one place.

The rabbit fur looks awesome.... did you actually find a rabbit pelt at Hobby Lobby???

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

4Thor (god, not superhero) custom Empty Re: Thor (god, not superhero) custom Fri Nov 11, 2022 3:09 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2011 wrote:Nice upgrades. And the photo story with Sif was fun. Did you make the boat from balsam? Nice work all around.

Thank you very much, Mark. Glad you enjoyed them. But to be clear, the actual updates I mentioned (and I have more in the works, if I ever get back to them) are in the linked M35 body review and Odinssons threads. What I re-posted here are the first Thor custom and its first upgrade, all from the old site.

Edited to add: I forgot about this in my original response. No, I didn't make the boat. It was a decorative piece from Hobby Lobby. If I recall correctly, it was painted (naively) light blue, and I repainted it.

skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for finally sharing these here! I remember seeing them on the other site but it's great to have them all in one place.

The rabbit fur looks awesome.... did you actually find a rabbit pelt at Hobby Lobby???

Thank you very much, I'm glad you still like them. Yes, the rabbit fur is awesome. It is from Hobby Lobby and, if I recall correctly, they import it from Spain.

5Thor (god, not superhero) custom Empty Re: Thor (god, not superhero) custom Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:20 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
You know these are old when Thor has the matted (plastic) hair, still nice however and the upgrades you did later on even better.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Thor (god, not superhero) custom 1f60e

6Thor (god, not superhero) custom Empty Re: Thor (god, not superhero) custom Sat Nov 12, 2022 1:36 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Theboo-bomb wrote:You know these are old when Thor has the matted (plastic) hair, still nice however and the upgrades you did later on even better.

Thank you very much for the kind words. I do have a bunch of Thor heads, including one someone had rehaired (HERE), and one (from the Fat Thor set) that I rehaired myself (HERE).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum