OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Alternative Body for Nova Studio Slam Dunk Figures and Baoman Rukawa

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

trick.refuse

trick.refuse
Hi guys!

I have a Rukawa and Sakuragi kit from Slam Dunk. But, they have no bodies. What body do you suggest I use? Since they are wearing jerseys, if the skintones doesn't match it will be too obvious. I think the body also needs to be taller because I think their bodies from Nova Studio is around 31.5 cm? I hope someone can help. Thanks!

Rukawa's kit is from Baoman but I also have a Nova Studio Rukawa head. Sakuragi's head is from Nova Studio (I think).

I'm from Asia btw so I think some brands are hard to find here or they cost more.

The Kit (Baoman)
Alternative Body for Nova Studio Slam Dunk Figures and Baoman Rukawa Kit10

Baoman Head
Alternative Body for Nova Studio Slam Dunk Figures and Baoman Rukawa Boaman11

Nova Studio Head
Alternative Body for Nova Studio Slam Dunk Figures and Baoman Rukawa Nova_r10

Side by Side
Alternative Body for Nova Studio Slam Dunk Figures and Baoman Rukawa Both10

Nova Studio Rukawa Set
Alternative Body for Nova Studio Slam Dunk Figures and Baoman Rukawa Nova_k11

Baoman Rukawa Set
Alternative Body for Nova Studio Slam Dunk Figures and Baoman Rukawa Baoman11

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Hi, trick, and welcome. Can you post pics of the kits you are talking about? It’ll give folks a better idea of how to help.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Alternative Body for Nova Studio Slam Dunk Figures and Baoman Rukawa C8485110

trick.refuse

trick.refuse
Stryker2011 wrote:Hi, trick, and welcome. Can you post pics of the kits you are talking about? It’ll give folks a better idea of how to help.

Hi, Thanks! Yeah I forgot about that, sorry. I'll edit my post

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
So you are looking for a seamless body of the right height and the right color. This is going to be difficult. TBLeague's seamless bodies include M32 (about 30 cm with head) and M36A (about 33.5 cm with head). These are their tallest bodies, an closest to your goal height, but their color (male "suntan," in TBLeague terminology) is likely to be a bit darker than your heads and hands, from what I can see (although lighting and computer settings can make a lot of difference). You can, however, re-color the body with oil pastels.

You can find the bodies and links to modification tutorials here.

trick.refuse

trick.refuse
GubernatorFan wrote:So you are looking for a seamless body of the right height and the right color. This is going to be difficult. TBLeague's seamless bodies include M32 (about 30 cm with head) and M36A (about 33.5 cm with head). These are their tallest bodies, an closest to your goal height, but their color (male "suntan," in TBLeague terminology) is likely to be a bit darker than your heads and hands, from what I can see (although lighting and computer settings can make a lot of difference). You can, however, re-color the body with oil pastels.

You can find the bodies and links to modification tutorials here.

A regular non-seamless body is fine for me, even 3rd party ones is no problem. I saw these too and I came across Jiaou Doll brand which is I think the budget version of TBLeague? Would that be a good alternative? Btw, regarding that oil pastel option, I might try that if I find a suitable body. But I'm open for other recommendations. Thanks!

Edit: Also is the oil pastel mod applicable to non TBLeague bodies?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
trick.refuse wrote:A regular non-seamless body is fine for me, even 3rd party ones is no problem. I saw these too and I came across Jiaou Doll brand which is I think the budget version of TBLeague? Would that be a good alternative? Btw, regarding that oil pastel option, I might try that if I find a suitable body. But I'm open for other recommendations. Thanks!
Unless something has changed drastically since last I looked, Jiaou is not much cheaper than TBLeague. Moreover, it is less poseable and easier to damage.
I do use plenty of regular hard plastic visibly jointed bodies for covered up looks, but provided they are reasonably easy to balance and hold a pose, they don't make too much of a difference to me, so I have paid less attention to them and the differences between them. WorldBox (which are hardy but also heavy), DAM (old and new), even Easy & Simple and the new DID are all viable options. Coo (CM) is ok, though sometimes the wrist pegs are frustrating.
That said, this thread compares six new-ish bodies of this type, and you can find links to some TBLeague-Jiaou comparisons as well.

trick.refuse

trick.refuse
GubernatorFan wrote:
trick.refuse wrote:A regular non-seamless body is fine for me, even 3rd party ones is no problem. I saw these too and I came across Jiaou Doll brand which is I think the budget version of TBLeague? Would that be a good alternative? Btw, regarding that oil pastel option, I might try that if I find a suitable body. But I'm open for other recommendations. Thanks!
Unless something has changed drastically since last I looked, Jiaou is not much cheaper than TBLeague. Moreover, it is less poseable and easier to damage.
I do use plenty of regular hard plastic visibly jointed bodies for covered up looks, but provided they are reasonably easy to balance and hold a pose, they don't make too much of a difference to me, so I have paid less attention to them and the differences between them. WorldBox (which are hardy but also heavy), DAM (old and new), even Easy & Simple and the new DID are all viable options. Coo (CM) is ok, though sometimes the wrist pegs are frustrating.
That said, this thread compares six new-ish bodies of this type, and you can find links to some TBLeague-Jiaou comparisons as well.

Here in the Philippines I saw that the Jiaou is around 2000 pesos ($35) then the TBLeague is twice that. So I thought the Jiaou is the budget version 😅 maybe the price here is much higher because of some other reasons. But given the quality of TBLeague I think it's worth it. I'll check that thread too. Thank you very much!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
trick.refuse wrote:
Here in the Philippines I saw that the Jiaou is around 2000 pesos ($35) then the TBLeague is twice that. So I thought the Jiaou is the budget version 😅 maybe the price here is much higher because of some other reasons. But given the quality of TBLeague I think it's worth it. I check that thread too. Thank you very much!
I see. That does seem like a good price; here they seem to be almost twice that. The difference in price in the TBLeague bodies, however, seems to be smaller, though apparently they are a little cheaper in the Philippines than here (usually $75+).
You are welcome and good luck.
These threads should help if you do go with a seamless body (especially TBLeague, Jiaou is easier to damage with the pastels) --
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t4922-yet-another-tbleague-body-pale-repaint-experiment-updated-with-part-ii-2-0

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3922-repainting-head-sculpts-to-match-body-updated-with-part-iii

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t260-painting-seamless-bodies-nsfw

trick.refuse

trick.refuse
GubernatorFan wrote:
trick.refuse wrote:
Here in the Philippines I saw that the Jiaou is around 2000 pesos ($35) then the TBLeague is twice that. So I thought the Jiaou is the budget version 😅 maybe the price here is much higher because of some other reasons. But given the quality of TBLeague I think it's worth it. I check that thread too. Thank you very much!
I see. That does seem like a good price; here they seem to be almost twice that. The difference in price in the TBLeague bodies, however, seems to be smaller, though apparently they are a little cheaper in the Philippines than here (usually $75+).
You are welcome and good luck.
These threads should help if you do go with a seamless body (especially TBLeague, Jiaou is easier to damage with the pastels) --
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t4922-yet-another-tbleague-body-pale-repaint-experiment-updated-with-part-ii-2-0

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3922-repainting-head-sculpts-to-match-body-updated-with-part-iii

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t260-painting-seamless-bodies-nsfw

Thanks for these guides! I'll check them out.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
There is a slim male Jiaou body that comes in a paler skintone than the Tbleague bodies, so perhaps the Jiaou would have better chance of matching your headsculpts.

Alternatively, you could use a visible-joint male body. Was there a particular body that was suggested by the set? Sometimes sets tell you which body is best to use for it, and it looks like they had a body in mind in the photos, but I cannot tell exactly which one it is.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

trick.refuse

trick.refuse
skywalkersaga wrote:There is a slim male Jiaou body that comes in a paler skintone than the Tbleague bodies, so perhaps the Jiaou would have better chance of matching your headsculpts.

Alternatively, you could use a visible-joint male body. Was there a particular body that was suggested by the set? Sometimes sets tell you which body is best to use for it, and it looks like they had a body in mind in the photos, but I cannot tell exactly which one it is.

Yeah I saw that too, the whiter skin color. But I'm also considering getting a visible-joint body because it's cheaper, I don't want to over-use the TBLeague or Jiaou body incase I get one.

Nova Studio has their own basketball body. But I cannot find it anywhere, I came across a store that gets their stock in China and he said that unfortunately it's out of stock because of the pandemic. Maybe you have a similar body in mind? Third party bodies is no issue for me hehe

Alternative Body for Nova Studio Slam Dunk Figures and Baoman Rukawa Nova_b10

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh, interesting. I had never seen that body before. A quick search shows it is indeed not anywhere to be seen on ebay.

I don't know of any exact equivalent to that body, but you could have a look at CooModel extra tall muscular body (both the older version and newer version), some of the WorldBox bodies, and then there is a super tall GameToys body which is intended for anime style characters (I think it was made for Sephiroth), but it is very expensive and not widely available. That one is also probably a little *too* tall even for these characters, if I remember correctly.

With each of the above, you will probably not find any that match the skintone exactly, but it would (imo) be easier to repaint a hard plastic body than the seamless Jiaou or Tbleague body.

trick.refuse

trick.refuse
skywalkersaga wrote:Oh, interesting. I had never seen that body before. A quick search shows it is indeed not anywhere to be seen on ebay.

I don't know of any exact equivalent to that body, but you could have a look at CooModel extra tall muscular body (both the older version and newer version), some of the WorldBox bodies, and then there is a super tall GameToys body which is intended for anime style characters (I think it was made for Sephiroth), but it is very expensive and not widely available. That one is also probably a little *too* tall even for these characters, if I remember correctly.

With each of the above, you will probably not find any that match the skintone exactly, but it would (imo) be easier to repaint a hard plastic body than the seamless Jiaou or Tbleague body.

Yeah, the seller said that it's hard to find since the production stopped because of the pandemic. Regarding the CooModel if found their newer version body but it's only around 27.5 cm so I kind of reserved it. I saw some WorldBox bodies too but I thought that their skin tone might be too realistic to match the anime style but according to the reviews, the quality is quite good for a budget body. Then lastly the GameToys, this one is probably the closest, like you said it is intended for anime characters because, their bd001 is used for Ichigo from the anime Bleach but cannot find it anywhere as well and their bd003 which is for Sephiroth is the one I found for originally for around 3,300 pesos ($57) then the seller gave me a discount so the final price is 2,500 pesos ($43) which is pretty nice haha the height of the Gametoys is exactly the same with Nova (31.5 cm) so this is the one I'm considering. The thing holding me back is the skin tone and price (idk if it's worth it because I cannot find a review of it), the skin tone for Rukawa is okay (I think) but for Sakuragi, it might need some repainting.

GAMETOYS GT-BD003
Alternative Body for Nova Studio Slam Dunk Figures and Baoman Rukawa Gameto10

Nova Studio Basketball Body (Height Reference)
Alternative Body for Nova Studio Slam Dunk Figures and Baoman Rukawa Nova10

Nova Studio Rukawa (Height Reference)
Alternative Body for Nova Studio Slam Dunk Figures and Baoman Rukawa Nova_r10

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Yeah, I would probably go with the GameToys one if it were me! I know it's a bit pricey but it seems like it would suit your needs well. Repainting it shouldn't be too bad since it's all hard plastic, but maybe it will even be ok as-is since it's meant for anime characters.

trick.refuse

trick.refuse
skywalkersaga wrote:Yeah, I would probably go with the GameToys one if it were me! I know it's a bit pricey but it seems like it would suit your needs well. Repainting it shouldn't be too bad since it's all hard plastic, but maybe it will even be ok as-is since it's meant for anime characters.

Thanks! Maybe I'll get that GameToys body. But I came across this body, it's only 28.5 cm but the skin tone looks like it can match both of the characters it's only $18. What do you think?

Alternative Body for Nova Studio Slam Dunk Figures and Baoman Rukawa Body_j10

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
If the height is not a big deal for you, then it seems like it would be ok. : )

ETA: I guess my only caution would be that if you choose a smaller body, the clothing could be a little loose or not fit as well on it.

trick.refuse

trick.refuse
skywalkersaga wrote:If the height is not a big deal for you, then it seems like it would be ok. : )

ETA: I guess my only caution would be that if you choose a smaller body, the clothing could be a little loose or not fit as well on it.

Ohh yeahh good point, I'll consider that too. Thank you very much!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
DO NOT get that last (generic) body you posted!! Those bodies are floppy crap. I have that tall Game Toys body. It’s very sturdy, close to what World Box produces. I would go with that.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Alternative Body for Nova Studio Slam Dunk Figures and Baoman Rukawa C8485110

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for the warning, Stryker. I do think the GameToys is the better bet.

trick.refuse

trick.refuse
Stryker2011 wrote:DO NOT get that last (generic) body you posted!! Those bodies are floppy crap. I have that tall Game Toys body. It’s very sturdy, close to what World Box produces. I would go with that.

Thank you for the warning. I was about to order it haha I'll get the GameToys Body instead.

trick.refuse

trick.refuse
Does anyone have this body on-hand?

Alternative Body for Nova Studio Slam Dunk Figures and Baoman Rukawa Haoyut10

trick.refuse

trick.refuse
Stryker2011 wrote:DO NOT get that last (generic) body you posted!! Those bodies are floppy crap. I have that tall Game Toys body. It’s very sturdy, close to what World Box produces. I would go with that.

Do you have pictures of the GameToys body sir? How's the articulation? Unfortunately, I don't see any reviews about the body, only review of the Sephiroth set.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum