OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Six New-ish Bodies comparison

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Six New-ish Bodies comparison Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:02 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I know we tend to prioritize the seamless action figure bodies (for a comparison of Jiaou and TBLeague/Phicen bodies, see HERE), as they promise a higher degree of realism, but there is plenty of use for traditional hard plastic visible-jointed bodies. They are, after all, more affordable, easier to clothe (in part because so much sixth-scale clothing is made with them in mind), and safer to leave in extreme poses for a long time. I may experiment stuffing TBLeague bodies into all sorts of garments, but if they cover the shoulders, elbows, and knees, I am likely to turn over these garments to the more traditional bodies.

Some time ago Ovy treated us to an overview of several low budget bodies (see HERE), and I am following up with this look at six new-ish bodies of similar type. If you've been around the hobby for a while, you would have noticed that companies spend some years using basically the same body before changing the design and moving on to a new one, with some exceptions for special characters. Three of the leading military action figure companies, DAM, Easy & Simple (E&S), and Dragon in Dreams (DID) have all recently started using new body designs. While DID is actually selling base bodies, the other two can be obtained easily enough from parted out sets. Although less recent, there are also some new-ish bodies by JX (I am looking at the S-02 and S-03), and there is the very recent bulkier body by Molaolao, which was used (with added tattoos) for the Gangster Ma figure by Moz Studios (for all I know, Molaolao and Moz Studios are the same thing, but I cannot confirm it).

The figures and their articulation range are shown three at a time in two sets, with a TBLeague M33 seamless body for comparison. Some of the poses parallel those from Ovy's comparisons, others hearken back to my old reviews (mostly on Michael Crawford's review site). All in all, all six bodies have good articulation, although some are better than others; unsurprisingly the bulkiest body, by Molaolao, is usually the one that can attain a more limited range than the others, although on occasion it surprises; the JX bodies have single-jointed elbows, unlike the others; the DID body (which is a slender shortish version, apparently they come in several variants) is meant for heads with integral necks or a separate neck piece. There is a general trend away from the Hot Toys Truetype-style bodies with their visible open shoulder joints, presumably for aesthetic purposes; these are now concealed behind the softer plastic shell of the upper torsos, except for Molaolao, which does not have this articulation or a softer plastic shell.

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Nbc0110

DAM 3.5 (with its own head) is 29.5 cm (11.6 in) tall; this height varies depending on the length of DAM ankle joints one uses (there are two); the new body's feet are also taller than the old ones.
E&S MK3 (with its own head) is 30 cm (11.8 in) tall; the new feet are unarticulated and characteristically cut off flat at the top.
DID Advanced Slim (with its own head) is 29 cm (11.4 in) tall; these bodies come (or will come) in several variations (this one being "advanced slim," or OA60002) and can be purchased as base bodies ($19 USD at Timewalker Toys!); the body is the only one that still uses articulated feet.
M33 (with an HT head) is 29.75 cm (11.7 in) tall. Just here for comparison.

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Nbc0210

All bodies can stand reasonably well on their own, even in minor stride, and place their arms in front of their torso.

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Nbc0310

All bodies can extend their arms straight up or bend them over the shoulder.

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Nbc0410

All bodies can take a knee (hero landing pose) and touch their opposite shoulder or biceps.

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Nbc0510

DAM and E&S have some trouble making splits properly but DID and M33 can.

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Nbc0610

All bodies can talk on a cell phone or make a face palm, and touch the opposite elbow.

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Nbc0710

Bending backwards, DAM performs least impressively, M33 most impressively, E&S and DID about the same, somewhere in-between.

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Nbc0810

All bodies can sit cross-legged.

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Nbc0910

Bending forwards, DAM is most limited, E&S less so, DID can reach his feet, M33 can do the same and more (see second set).

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Nbc1010

Sideways twist: all but M33 (due to its TPE "skin" or rather "flesh") should be able to rotate around their axis at the waist, but the effect would not be natural. In such a pose and with variously extended limbs and foot placement, the bodies can stand unassisted.

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Nbc1110

All bodies can make slightly wider strides and remain standing.

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Nbc1210

And all bodies have no problems sitting on a chair or bench, which should be a given, but is not always the case, especially where heftier or seamless bodies are concerned.

On to the second set of bodies, with JX S-02, JX S-03, and Molaolao.

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Nbc1310

JX S-02 (with a KO Arnold head) is 30.2 cm (11.9 in) tall. The JX bodies' ankles function a little strangely due to the ring fitted over the ankle joint, between the bottom of the leg and the top of the foot. Their elbows are single-jointed and the sculpted nipples are painted. (Available at Timewalker Toys for $38.50 USD)
JX S-03 (with a DAM head that doesn't match color-wise) is 29.5 cm (11.6 in) tall. (Available at Timewalker Toys for $30 USD)
Molaolao ATM01 (with an InFlames head that doesn't mach color-wise) is almost 31 cm (12.2 in) tall. The upper torso is a hard plastic shell, meaning less shoulder and neck articulation. The ankles are unfortunately like those of the soccer player figures from years ago, with the ankle peg fitting at an angle forward into the foot. It works strangely and not very effectively, especially combined with the body's weight and high center of gravity.

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Nbc1410

The single-jointed elbows and shoulder limitations of the JX bodies mean they cannot cross their arms beyond the wrists; Molaolao has double-jointed elbows, but bulky muscles made of hard plastic and proportionately relatively short arms, meaning the best he can do is point at the ring on his left hand (a leftover of the Moz Studios Gangster Ma design). Despite the various strange or unfortunate ankles, all three bodies (as well as M33) can stand on their own in a small stride pose.

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Nbc1510

They can extend their arms up, albeit at some angle, and can bend it behind their backs, although the single-jointed elbows of the JX bodies limit the articulation to about 90 degrees. M33 does not have these limitations.

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Nbc1610

All can take a knee (superhero landing pose), but none of the three can reach his opposite shoulder or biceps (except, of course, M33).

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Nbc1710

Surprisingly, all bodies can do the splits very well, with or without rotating one of the legs around its axis (I did it, but unnecessarily); JX bodies still have trouble bending the arm over the back.

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Nbc1810

JX bodies cannot easily talk on a cellphone (unless on Speaker!) or do a face palm; Molaolao can, but none of the three (excepting, of course, M33) can reach their opposite elbow.

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Nbc1910

Bending backwards, the JX bodies are more limited, though not unreasonably so. Molaolao excells them, which was a surprise, and of course M33 can just about roll itself into a ball.

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Nbc2010

All the bodies can sit cross-legged.

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Nbc2110

Bending forward, Molaolao is the most limited, and the JX bodies a little better. M33 can actually touch and hold his toes.

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Nbc2210

Sideways twist: again, the hard plastic visible-jointed bodies technically excel M33 by being able to rotate completely around their axis at the waist, but this is not how human articulation works. JX S-02 can do this more easily than the others, which encounter more resistance than M33 with its own only partial rotation.

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Nbc2310

All the bodies can take a wider stride and still stand on their own.

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Nbc2410

Finally, all the bodies can sit in a chair or on a bench without trouble. Especially in the case of the bulky Molaolao this was not a given (a cushion might still help, as the body might want to rock/roll backwards if unsupported).

If you are interested in bulkier bodies, check out also my recent review of World Box AT030 linked below.

I hope this was helpful and informative.

As always, what do you think?

Other recent or relevant reviews:

Hot Toys Star Wars Return of the Jedi Scout Trooper

Mr Toys MT2021-08 Slave Princess set (and Huttlslayer Leia customs)

World Box AT030 Body

Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Assault Tank Commander

Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Director Krennic

Premier Toys PT0001 Wasteland Gladiator

Toys Headquarters Vol 003 Fighter

TBLeague Ramesses the Great

Figure Masters Vamp Lou

LDDoll Seamless Figure Body

SooSoo Toys Frozen Man

SooSoo Toys Mr Butcher

Sideshow and Hot Toys Star Wars Scout Troopers (comparison)

Thunder Toys Hell Detective

Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine

TBLeague Barbarian Soul

Hot Toys Star Wars Return of the Jedi Stormtrooper

ADD Toys War Wolves Back (muscle version)

World Box AT027 body

Hot Toys Star Wars Solo Mudtrooper

Sideshow Star Wars TIE Fighter Pilot

Woo Toys WO-004 Fat Thor

HH HY Rome Infantry

HH HY Rome Centurion

Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (He-Man)

Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (Conan the Barbarian)

Dragon and TBLeague Alexander the Great (comparison)

Kautic Plastik Roman Infantry 2019

JX Toys Peggy Carter

TBLeague 1:12 seamless male bodies

Hasbro Star Wars Rogue One Imperial Combat Assault Tank

Hasbro Star Wars imperials 2019

Hasbro Star Wars Jabba's Tatooine Skiff

CC Toys Unexplored Nate (summer version)

Jiaou Doll Boss Chair

Hot Toys Star Wars Solo Patrol Trooper

China Toys Teutonic Knight

Star Ace 300 Queen Gorgo

Black Box Toys Spectre Girl (Madeleine Swann)

Hot Toys Star Wars Royal Guard

VS Toys Bathroom

Coomodel Vikings Vanquisher Viking Ship

Coomodel Vikings Vanquisher Valhalla (double set)

TBLeague M36 body

Chinese wooden chairs and table sets A and B

HY Toys Armchair

TBLeague M35 body

Sideshow Jack Burton

Disney Star Wars Director Orson Krennic

TBLeague Spartan Goddess of War

AR Toys Hellman

Dragon Men in Black 3 Agent K 1969

#actionfigure #body #comparison #review #articulation

2Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Re: Six New-ish Bodies comparison Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:15 pm

Ephiane

Ephiane
Thank You for the time You spend into test and all the bodys and share Your experience with us. I like the slim body and details like the well sculpted soles of the Molaolao. A Move i never get with all the figures i have is this one.  Smile

Six New-ish Bodies comparison 24160310

Here´s  a barbarian girl while filling her water bladder. That´s the maximum movement in that way i get.

Six New-ish Bodies comparison Oimp7u11

3Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Re: Six New-ish Bodies comparison Tue Oct 18, 2022 2:32 pm

Diana

Diana
Thank you so much for these reviews! Love your choices of heads especially for Bucky, which got a few laughs within the context. Smile

4Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Re: Six New-ish Bodies comparison Tue Oct 18, 2022 5:24 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Talk about “made to move”. Such a wild comparison and poses. I’m tempted to pick up one of those new DiD slim bodies.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Six New-ish Bodies comparison C8485110

5Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Re: Six New-ish Bodies comparison Wed Oct 19, 2022 2:32 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ephiane wrote:Thank You for the time You spend into test and all the bodys and share Your experience with us. I like the slim body and details like the well sculpted soles of the Molaolao. A Move i never get with all the figures i have is this one.  Smile

Here´s  a barbarian girl while filling her water bladder. That´s the maximum movement in that way i get.

You are very welcome, I hope it is useful, although I know you prefer the seamless bodies, and for good reason. Actually I almost do not buy female non-seamless bodies, and the few I have seem too fragile for extreme poses. So your barbarian girl on the drawing might be beyond the scope of what is available -- seamless bodies might theoretically be able to do something like this, but at such degree of exertion, they would bounce back and won't be able to hold the pose.

But your barbarian girl figure is awesome and always nice to see her again.

Diana wrote:Thank you so much for these reviews! Love your choices of heads especially for Bucky, which got a few laughs within the context. Smile

You are welcome and thank you. I just try not to be too repetitive. Should have said that I didn't spend much time trying to match the heads, apart from DAM to DAM, DID to DID, and E&S to E&S. Glad you liked it.

Stryker2011 wrote:Talk about “made to move”. Such a wild comparison and poses. I’m tempted to pick up one of those new DiD slim bodies.

Go for it. Compare your parted out and set options (since this one is available as a base body, including at your favorite store). I have the feeling the other DID base body versions have not been released yet. Just remember it is a bit shortish. Also, if you are using a head without an integral neck, remember you will need a neck piece.

6Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Re: Six New-ish Bodies comparison Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:07 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
This is a really helpful comparison, thanks for drawing our attention to some of these. I have had the DID advanced slim body in my cart for a while....glad to see a review of it. I'm thinking it would work for a youngish male figure?

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

7Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Re: Six New-ish Bodies comparison Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:56 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:This is a really helpful comparison, thanks for drawing our attention to some of these. I have had the DID advanced slim body in my cart for a while....glad to see a review of it. I'm thinking it would work for a youngish male figure?
You are very welcome. Yes, I think the DID advanced slim body would work for a youngish male -- although young does not always necessarily translate to short or even slender.

By the way, I take it you haven't looked through BAMComix's "He looked nothing like his photo" thread? Wink Either that or I messed up horribly.

8Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Re: Six New-ish Bodies comparison Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:45 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Looks like we cross posted, GF! I only just saw the post in the other thread this evening.... :'D

9Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Re: Six New-ish Bodies comparison Thu Oct 20, 2022 1:44 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Looks like we cross posted, GF! I only just saw the post in the other thread this evening.... :'D
Serendipity? Smile

10Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Re: Six New-ish Bodies comparison Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:15 am

davidd

davidd
Impressive review and series of comparison pix! These reviews must take a considerable amount of time to plan, photograph, and write! I appreciate the effort you put in to posts like this to help out fellow collectors!

11Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Re: Six New-ish Bodies comparison Thu Oct 20, 2022 2:20 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Yes, well said, davidd. I think GF must save us all quite a bit of money by helping us decide what bodies to buy (or not to buy). Razz

And it only just hit me how incredibly comical that final photo of them all on the benches is.... it looks like they are hanging out in some kind of sauna...or that they somehow ended up stark naked on some bleachers and just kind of rolled with it. Laughing

12Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Re: Six New-ish Bodies comparison Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:18 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
davidd wrote:Impressive review and series of comparison pix! These reviews must take a considerable amount of time to plan, photograph, and write! I appreciate the effort you put in to posts like this to help out fellow collectors!

Thank you, David, I'm glad you liked it. It does take a while to work up to it and I ended up with too many bodies to fit in front of the camera at one time (hence, the two sets). But like so many other things, once you get going, it's easier to finish. I do hope it is informative to those who have either delved less deeply into the hobby or just haven't had these particular bodies in hand.

skywalkersaga wrote:Yes, well said, davidd. I think GF must save us all quite a bit of money by helping us decide what bodies to buy (or not to buy). Razz

And it only just hit me how incredibly comical that final photo of them all on the benches is.... it looks like they are hanging out in some kind of sauna...or that they somehow ended up stark naked on some bleachers and just kind of rolled with it. Laughing

That's the idea, Sky, at least my intention. Apart from Molaolao, these are also not among the more expensive bodies (of course some of them can only be gotten parted out from sets, as far as I know).

They are bleachers, but, yes, a sauna did come to mind after setting them up. It was just easier to reach for the bleachers (which I got parted out recently) than to find and arrange a bunch of chairs. As for the stark naked... well, the hard plastic bodies have nothing down there and it is a body review; if I were doing a real sauna or locker room scene, I would have used briefs, jock straps (now available), or towels, etc; but then again, with so much skin and joints showing, I would have been using seamless bodies instead. Smile

13Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Re: Six New-ish Bodies comparison Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:33 am

Valiarde

Valiarde
Whoa, fantastic post Ian. That is the kind of thread that makes OSF one of the most valuable places among all 1/6 websites out there.

Gonna study it later with a bit more time

14Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Re: Six New-ish Bodies comparison Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:02 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
They are 'naked' in doll terms... ;p

15Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Re: Six New-ish Bodies comparison Fri Oct 21, 2022 1:31 am

Chip

Not the first time Ian has helped bruise my wallet . Very Happy His reviews are most interesting and well done even if you don`t feel drawn towards what he is reviewing . I need to get one or two of those DiD slim bodies ..... Nice of you to take the time reviewing for us Ian , and as usual interesting reading .

16Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Re: Six New-ish Bodies comparison Fri Oct 21, 2022 2:20 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Commenting on some of the bodies in more detail, I had meant to say that it's a shame that so many of the male DamToys bodies have the attached neck these days. I have one male DamToys body (narrow slim shoulders version) and it remains my favourite male body. Not for its looks.... in fact, it's pretty ugly. But it is SO poseable compared to many others, and seems well made. It was one of my first ever 1/6 bodies and I have been wishing more bodies were like that ever since. Unfortunately, the ones with necks attached can be a bit limiting in terms of headsculpt and outfit options.

17Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Re: Six New-ish Bodies comparison Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:26 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Valiarde wrote:Whoa, fantastic post Ian. That is the kind of thread that makes OSF one of the most valuable places among all 1/6 websites out there.

Gonna study it later with a bit more time

Thank you very much. I hope you find it useful.

Chip wrote:Not the first time Ian has helped bruise my wallet . Very Happy  His reviews are most interesting and well done even if you don`t feel drawn towards what he is reviewing . I need to get one or two of those DiD slim bodies ..... Nice of you to take the time reviewing for us Ian , and as usual interesting reading .

Well, I don't get a cut from the companies, but I'm glad if this helps you make choices as to what will work or not work for you. Good luck with the DID bodies, at least in some places they are not expensive -- and you can always go the kitbash out of parted out parts route too.

skywalkersaga wrote:Commenting on some of the bodies in more detail, I had meant to say that it's a shame that so many of the male DamToys bodies have the attached neck these days. I have one male DamToys body (narrow slim shoulders version) and it remains my favourite male body. Not for its looks.... in fact, it's pretty ugly. But it is SO poseable compared to many others, and seems well made. It was one of my first ever 1/6 bodies and I have been wishing more bodies were like that ever since. Unfortunately, the ones with necks attached can be a bit limiting in terms of headsculpt and outfit options.

I am usually less bothered by the attached necks, as I think every head should come without an integral neck -- there ought to be two different points of articulation, one where the neck connects to the torso, the other where the neck connects to the base of the skull. Most of the attached neck bodies have the neck as part of the softer rubbery plastic upper torso shell (which means you can get, theoretically, some articulation between the neck and the torso), so it is likely possible to remove the neck (and then pry out the neck peg within). Or you can de-neck the heads if they have an integral neck (which I do almost always, on principle). Funny, the older DAM bodies I am used to also had the permanently attached neck, I guess I haven't come across the type you are referring to. I liked those bodies well enough, and have used them time and again. The new ones are conveniently slim and tall (this actually depends a little bit on which of the two lengths of ankle joints you employ), but I haven't done much with them yet, besides this review. They are well articulated, but as you can see more limited in many respects than some of the other options. But I agree, a body with a removable neck piece would be most versatile.

18Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Re: Six New-ish Bodies comparison Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:08 am

BAMComix

BAMComix
Great review Ian! very informative indeed!

19Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Re: Six New-ish Bodies comparison Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:31 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:Commenting on some of the bodies in more detail, I had meant to say that it's a shame that so many of the male DamToys bodies have the attached neck these days. I have one male DamToys body (narrow slim shoulders version) and it remains my favourite male body. Not for its looks.... in fact, it's pretty ugly. But it is SO poseable compared to many others, and seems well made. It was one of my first ever 1/6 bodies and I have been wishing more bodies were like that ever since. Unfortunately, the ones with necks attached can be a bit limiting in terms of headsculpt and outfit options.

I am usually less bothered by the attached necks, as I think every head should come without an integral neck -- there ought to be two different points of articulation, one where the neck connects to the torso, the other where the neck connects to the base of the skull. Most of the attached neck bodies have the neck as part of the softer rubbery plastic upper torso shell (which means you can get, theoretically, some articulation between the neck and the torso), so it is likely possible to remove the neck (and then pry out the neck peg within). Or you can de-neck the heads if they have an integral neck (which I do almost always, on principle). Funny, the older DAM bodies I am used to also had the permanently attached neck, I guess I haven't come across the type you are referring to. I liked those bodies well enough, and have used them time and again. The new ones are conveniently slim and tall (this actually depends a little bit on which of the two lengths of ankle joints you employ), but I haven't done much with them yet, besides this review. They are well articulated, but as you can see more limited in many respects than some of the other options. But I agree, a body with a removable neck piece would be most versatile.

I understand that when it comes to using tbleague bodies as the standard, then it is obviously more ideal for heads to come without a neck, but when one is just trying to swap the crappy Hot Toys bodies for a better body, then body coming with a neck is a major frustration. That's my issue with the bodies with attached necks....they aren't as versatile in terms of what types of headsculpts will work with them. And unfortunately, I am not willing to de-neck headsculpts with attached necks like you are....at least, I won't do it to Hot Toys heads unless it's a spare I got precisely for that purpose, and even then, sometimes the nature of a character design means that de-necking will reduce the realism (as it will add a seam to the neck area).

This is entirely just personal preference though, I do not intend to claim that my preferences are 'better', just that I would love to have a wider array of DamToys bodies for some of my male figures but haven't bought any more loose ones because of those necks.

20Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Re: Six New-ish Bodies comparison Fri Oct 21, 2022 5:21 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Ha! I’m glad I’m not the only one that thinks the recent (at least the last 5-6 years) that Hot Toys has really cheaped out and started making crap bodies.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Six New-ish Bodies comparison C8485110

21Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Re: Six New-ish Bodies comparison Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:26 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Stryker2011 wrote:Ha! I’m glad I’m not the only one that thinks the recent (at least the last 5-6 years) that Hot Toys has really cheaped out and started making crap bodies.

Yeah, I am decidedly not a fan of HT bodies. Never have been, but I am increasingly unimpressed at the 'quality' (or lack thereof) for the price.

22Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Re: Six New-ish Bodies comparison Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:27 pm

csyeung

csyeung
Thanks for your detailed comparisons! I always enjoy these. I still need to get a m33 someday.

23Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Re: Six New-ish Bodies comparison Fri Oct 21, 2022 10:37 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
BAMComix wrote:Great review Ian! very informative indeed!

Thank you very much, I'm glad you found it to be such.

skywalkersaga wrote:
I understand that when it comes to using tbleague bodies as the standard, then it is obviously more ideal for heads to come without a neck, but when one is just trying to swap the crappy Hot Toys bodies for a better body, then body coming with a neck is a major frustration. That's my issue with the bodies with attached necks....they aren't as versatile in terms of what types of headsculpts will work with them. And unfortunately, I am not willing to de-neck headsculpts with attached necks like you are....at least, I won't do it to Hot Toys heads unless it's a spare I got precisely for that purpose, and even then, sometimes the nature of a character design means that de-necking will reduce the realism (as it will add a seam to the neck area).

This is entirely just personal preference though, I do not intend to claim that my preferences are 'better', just that I would love to have a wider array of DamToys bodies for some of my male figures but haven't bought any more loose ones because of those necks.

It is only relatively recently (last 2-3 years?) that HT started to prioritize heads with integral neck again, but I hear your pain. In principle, whatever head they use, it would make sense for hard plastic open jointed bodies to have no integral neck, so they could accommodate either a head with an integral neck or a separate neck piece.

Stryker2011 wrote:Ha! I’m glad I’m not the only one that thinks the recent (at least the last 5-6 years) that Hot Toys has really cheaped out and started making crap bodies.

Maybe slightly more recent, but I agree. When I joined the hobby, Hot Toys was producing the best bodies in our scale, and was selling them as base bodies (the Truetype Body line, TTM and TTF). But this was just over 6 years ago. They had the regular open jointed bodies with advanced shoulders, then they had the less articulated one with the attached neck that was supposed to look better shirtless (TTM19, I think), but a couple bodies after that they seem to have dropped the base bodies line and stagnated in development and apparently lowered in quality as to the bodies they used in their sets. These days they seem to alternate between (some or all) loose or overly stiff joints, and even that is complicated by the ubiquitous and almost entirely unnecessary padding garments they place under the outer clothing.

24Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Re: Six New-ish Bodies comparison Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:40 am

angryboot

Thanks for taking the time to do this comparison; I need to get some male bodies myself and this is very helpful.

25Six New-ish Bodies comparison Empty Re: Six New-ish Bodies comparison Wed Nov 02, 2022 6:01 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
angryboot wrote:Thanks for taking the time to do this comparison; I need to get some male bodies myself and this is very helpful.
You are very welcome, I'm glad it is helpful.
Here's another comparison thread, that I forgot to link above.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum