OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Diana

Diana
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 0052

Item Name: Athena, the Divine Strategist 1/6 Scale Action Figure
Item No: PL2023-209
Bar Code: 697 127233 187 8

Packing List:
1) 1 x head sculpt
2) 1 x TBLeague 1/6 scale female seamless body with metal skeleton and detachable feet
3) 1 x shoulder and chest plate
4) 1 x coiled snake-shaped ring for the left upper arm
5) 1 x coiled snake-shaped ring for the right upper arm
6) 1 x coiled snake-shaped bracelet for the left wrist
7 ) 1 x coiled snake-shaped bracelet for the right wrist
Cool 1 x helmet
9) 1 pair x sandals
10) 1 x stand
11) 1 x stand support rod
12) 1 x sword
13) 1 x spear
14) 1 x shield
15) 3 pairs x interchangeable hands
16) 1 x white dress
17) 1 x coiled snake-shaped ring for the left thigh
18) 1 piece x bikini panty

Packaging:
1 product/individual box
GW: 3.6 kg
Measurements: 28.3cmx24.3cmx38cm

2 products/master carton
GW: 7.7kg
Measurements: 51cmx30.5cmx40.5cm

mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 01131
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 02133
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 03129
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 04126
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 05125
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 06123
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 07122
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 08120
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 09118
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 10118
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 11107
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 1295
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 1386
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 1472
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 1565
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 1658

Item Name: Goddess Metis1/6 Scale Action Figure
Item No: PL2023-210
Bar Code: 697 127233 188 5

Packing List:
1) 1 x head sculpt
2) 1 x TBLeague 1/6 scale female seamless body with metal skeleton and detachable feet
3) 1 x shoulder and chest plate
4) 1 x coiled snake-shaped ring for the left upper arm
5) 1 x coiled snake-shaped ring for the right upper arm
6) 1 x coiled snake-shaped bracelet for the left wrist
7) ​​1 x coiled snake-shaped bracelet for the right wrist
Cool 1 x helmet
9) 1 pair x sandals
10) 1 x stand
11) 1 x stand support rod
12) 1 x sword
13) 1 x spear
14) 1 x shield
15) 3 pairs x interchangeable hands
16) 1 x white dress
17) 1 x coiled snake-shaped ring for the left thigh
18) 1 piece x bikini panty

Packaging:
1 product/individual box
GW: 3.1 kg
Measurements: 24.3cmx18.3cmx38cm

4 products/master carton
GW: 6.7kg
Measurements: 51cmx39cmx40. 5cm

mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 2045
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 2145
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 2241
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 2339
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 2435
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 2534
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 2633
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 2733
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 2832
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 2929
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 3028
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 3127
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 3224
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 3320
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 3419
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 3518

#TBLeague #Phicen #mythology #athena #metis #goddess

Diana

Diana
Metis was Zeus' first wife. He swallowed her to prevent her giving birth to a prophecied son, who would be stronger than him. She was however already pregnant with their first and only child Athena, who was the prophecied daughter who would be wiser than her mother (who was already known for her wisdom). Long story short: Athena defeated Zeus from within his head and broke free.

Medusa was a pure and loyal servant to Athena, who was raped by Poseidon in Athena's temple. Athena knew she couldn't go up against Poseidon, so she pretended to punish Medusa and turned her into the monster, that has snakes for hair (taking away her beauty to protect her from unwanted attention) and whose stare turned men into stone - perfect defence. The Medusa head is used as a symbol for women who have experienced and survived violence.

I really like both of these.  mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 1f648

I'm guessing this will be the new line replacing the Egyptian series and I'm okay with that. Very Happy

So,... did they actually do some research this time? Or was the Medusa head on the shield a happy accident? Laughing

I initially thought the Athena figure was bland, but she has grown on me already, and I love the shield and that head is GORGEOUS!!!

Metis is beautiful and visually more interesting, but the head has the sappy Tariah look. In this case I don't mind too much though.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
I like the first one, the Medusa shield is neat. Can anyone tell what body that is? Normally I can tell right away, but on these ones I'm not quite sure...

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I like both of them a lot, even though they are very much fantasy. But at least they can be seen as reflective of a vintage romantic fantasy rather than the more stripper-warrior type of things we have seen so often (though that has given me references to mock). There is no major canon on Metis' appearance or character, and what we get is more fantasy Valkyrie than anything Greek style, even if gorgeous; there is plenty of artistic canon for Athena. The overall visual effect is still very good, although as usual they make unnecessary departures. Athena' helmet should cover the back of her skull, the gorgon head should be on her aegis protecting her neck, shoulders, and chest (which should be ampler -- the aegis, not the breasts!), and her dress is total fantasy, if beautiful. I do love her sandals and Metis' flat-soled boots; the latter, in particular, are the sort of things fantasy female warriors ought to have, and potential real ones would probably appreciate. Accuracy (to canon) apart, the only real downside are those unnecessary and unnecessarily strange bases, which would probably increase box size and weight and command greater shipping costs. Enough of that already.

Lynkhart

Lynkhart
I’d love to see the breastplate on the dress from the first outfit as I’m really not feeling the miniskirt or the boob-hugging snake…thing. 😂 I really like the headsculpt too - she actually has a bit of personality compared to the usual overstylised anime inspired ones.

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Lynkhart wrote:I’d love to see the breastplate on the dress from the first outfit as I’m really not feeling the miniskirt or the boob-hugging snake…thing. 😂 I really like the headsculpt too - she actually has a bit of personality compared to the usual overstylised anime inspired ones.

I'm with you on some things. The curass of the 2nd set should have been with the first set, and honestly, I never pictured (in my own head) Athena being a blonde, but raven-haired and wore either deep blue or black, not white. The helmet of the first set is better than the Gondorian Guard-inspired helmet of the second set. Plus, the shield of the first set makes a lot more sense.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 1f10

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
I really wanted to be blown away by these two, but find them a bit sadly underwhelming.... These are (should be) mighty Titans, so it would have been great to have had more oomph and presence. For me, the wafting white here doesn’t do it! Some of the aspects are impressive; I agree Gubernatorfan that Metis’s fantastic flat boots should be the absolute standard for warrior women!, and with Diana’s flag to Medusa on Athena’s shield, nice addition. While these are always going to be subject to a lot of imagination in how they are portrayed, given Métis was apparently an ‘Oceanid’ (daughter of Oceanus, the father of the sea and Poseidon’ uncle), I wish they had gone to town on that angle....

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Good point about Metis, Tanzenwolfe, I had forgotten about her being an Oceanid.

Carousi

Carousi
nice sets  Shocked

love the weps and shields but not planning to get both, might do some parts hunting later  Cool

Diana wrote:

So,... did they actually do some research this time? Or was the Medusa head on the shield a happy accident? Laughing

tbl might take reference from Smite's Athena where she brings shield with engraved medusa head

mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 Athena11
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 Athena10
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 Athena10

Diana

Diana
@Carousi: Ah. Of course they would. Rolling Eyes Wink

They look like S47Bs to me, no? The head is sitting high, but I don't mind that actually. I love the Amazon Warrior despite this.

I agree it's a shame that they didn't make these two a little more distinct, especially in terms of colours. A more Greek look in terms of ethnicity would have been nice, too.
But I have a feeling we have more of these coming up (Artemis please?) and they will all be in the same colour scheme (until they decide to release black/silver versions? Laughing)
I wish they had used more realistic fabric. I suppose it looks more pristine/divine this way, but I would have preferred more realism.

I do like the bases actually. Very Happy

So at this point I feel myself caving for both. Will have to check finances. What a Face

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
The Medusa shield is also a reference to the story of how a priestess of Athena was cursed by the goddess Athena for breaking her vow of celibacy, thus becoming the woman with snakes for hair who’s gaze would turn anyone to stone. Not sure if she was ever represented as a shield carried by Athena.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 1f10

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2012 wrote:The Medusa shield is also a reference to the story of how a priestess of Athena was cursed by the goddess Athena for breaking her vow of celibacy, thus becoming the woman with snakes for hair who’s gaze would turn anyone to stone. Not sure if she was ever represented as a shield carried by Athena.
The reference is correct (there are variations on the details of the story), but you're right, the gorgon's head did not end up on Athena's shield but on her aegis (that thing covering her shoulders and chest area). That said, painted Medusa heads do show up on representations of historical Greek shields.

shazzdan

shazzdan
Homeric shields were made of several layers of oxhide with a bronze face plate and central boss. Some of those facings and bosses were heavily decorated. Agamemnon's shield is described as having an embossed boss like the Cretan example, below, but in the shape of a gorgon [Iliad, 11.32-40].

This one was found on Crete and dates to the end of the Bronze Age. It is the type of shield that would have been used by the nobility in the Trojan War.

mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 99L3VFk

Ovy

Ovy
I don't know, some very good aspects in this, but the figures also kinda lack a soul (and an owl, for Athena). Like some perfect corporate streamlined goddesses.

They would really benefit from real character heads, something wise and mature. And maybe one more color to the palette, like red or crimson. And tone down the gold to some copper/bronze? And I guess the massive weighty pillar is a block of resin?

Athena's equipment looks good an fitting, but Metis' sword and shield seems kinda out of place for the setting. She has a slighlty Wagner Valykrie vibe.

But enough of the whining
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 Marcel-reich-ranicki-9369

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ancient bronze was closer to modern brass in color, Ovy, although yes this looks too pristine.
Shields with (bearded!) gorgon heads painted on:mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 Achilles-memnon-staatliche-1410.1400x0
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 Iu-3

shazzdan

shazzdan
Yep. Tin-bronze has a wonderful golden colour. Look at a cymbal on a drum kit. Many of them are still made from tin-bronze.

It should look pristine. They had plenty of slaves to keep their gear maintained and polished.

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
GubernatorFan wrote:
Stryker2012 wrote:The Medusa shield is also a reference to the story of how a priestess of Athena was cursed by the goddess Athena for breaking her vow of celibacy, thus becoming the woman with snakes for hair who’s gaze would turn anyone to stone. Not sure if she was ever represented as a shield carried by Athena.
The reference is correct (there are variations on the details of the story), but you're right, the gorgon's head did not end up on Athena's shield but on her aegis (that thing covering her shoulders and chest area). That said, painted Medusa heads do show up on representations of historical Greek shields.

Isn't the whole point of Athena's shield having the Medusa on it a callback to Perseus using Athena's super-polished shield as a mirror, to track and behead the Medusa without directly gazing on it?  In my understanding all of the real-world historical actual representations of the shields with Medusa faces are invocations of this myth -- associating the shield-bearer with the hero qualities of Perseus, while warding off generic evil, etc. in the form of a Medusa "reflection". There's probably a note also of how Perseus subsequently brandished the severed Medusa head as a weapon to frighten opponents.

Of course, it doesn't logically make sense for the actual Athena's actual shield to have Medusa carved on it, where the actual Athena shield only ever carried just a fleeting mirror reflection of the Medusa.  But maybe Athena herself wanted to celebrate that story, and maybe Perseus who had used Athena's shield to kill the Medusa, gifted Athena back with a splendid ceremonial carved version?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Moonbase Alpha Male wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:

Isn't the whole point of Athena's shield having the Medusa on it a callback to Perseus using Athena's super-polished shield as a mirror, to track and behead the Medusa without directly gazing on it?  In my understanding all of the real-world historical actual representations of the shields with Medusa faces are invocations of this myth -- associating the shield-bearer with the hero qualities of Perseus, while warding off generic evil, etc. in the form of a Medusa "reflection".  There's probably a note also of how Perseus subsequently brandished the severed Medusa head as a weapon to frighten opponents.

Of course, it doesn't logically make sense for the actual Athena's actual shield to have Medusa carved on it, where the actual Athena shield only ever carried just a fleeting mirror reflection of the Medusa.  But maybe Athena herself wanted to celebrate that story, and maybe Perseus who had used Athena's shield to kill the Medusa, gifted Athena back with a splendid ceremonial carved version?
I'm not saying the painted gorgon head shields are not references to the myth. But the myth very specifically has Athena placing the gorgon's head on her aegis, which, while functionally a shielding device, is not actually a conventional shield (its name actually is or seems to be derived from a goatskin). It is some sort of wrap/poncho covering Athena's shoulders and chest. See here, complete with the gorgon's head in the middle of it:
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 Douriscup_83d40m_Athene_aegisWingedLionessOwl_pythonVomitsJason_fleeceInTree_Vatican
Shields with decorative relief detailing exist, like the very elaborate one belonging to (probably) Philip II of Macedon found in one of the Vergina royal tombs. But the most elaborate versions seem impractical for everyday military use, not only because of the damage they might sustain, but also because a smoother surface would be better at deflecting blows. Then again, status symbols are status symbols. Insofar as one can tell from the vase paintings (in my previous post), the gorgon faces on the shields might seem to have been painted on. Nevertheless, it is not impossible that some of the archaic shields had embossed or low relief detail of this kind. Philip's shield (I just can't seem to find a good medium-sized photo) --
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 Alexander18

Diana

Diana
These are already "in-stok" Very Happy at GianToy.

Since I ordered from KG to save a few bucks I'll probably have to wait a few more months for them. Neutral

Diana

Diana
I've had them for a week, had a quick peek at Athena without taking her out and... just wasn't feeling it. BUT I remembered it was the same with the Shaman, which is now my favourite, so I gave them a chance.

And I love them. Smile

They really start to shine once unboxed. Metis has a very small head, so she keeps the helmet on, which looks awesome. Athena however is utterly gorgeous, as expected from the promos. 
Both have the S47B giraffe-neck problem, but it is less noticeable with Athena.

Still gotta figure out how to best pose Metis' shield, without covering too much of her up.
And I already broke one of the dangly bits off her armour.
And I gotta reposition the belt.

The wired cloak is co much fun!!

Aaaanyway, here are some snap shots:

mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 01138
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 04134
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 02140mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 05133
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 03137
mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 06130mythology - NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague - Athena, the Divine Strategist PL2023-209, Goddess Metis PL2023-210 08127

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
Thanks for the pics. They do look good together.

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Not bad. For some reason I still wish they would have given her raven black hair.

Tanzenwolfe

Tanzenwolfe
They do suit being together, glad to hear you are enjoying them more in real life - except for those annoying bits that break or do not cooperate.... it seems like these figures were released pretty quick!

Spartan06

Spartan06
I've been going back and forth about getting one of these, but the pair look good together.

Your photos look good Diana!  It's nice to see the details on the finished product and I see what you mean about the wired skirt.  Thanks for posting!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
They look great, Diana, glad you like them, and that you got them in the first place.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum