OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 5]

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Started building the generic Neimoidian some years ago then got bored, recently found this Nute Gunray cup head thing on eBay cheap. It's a bit big but after some research I discovered that the Neimoidians are very tall! I'll give it the slow/safe acetone treatment to shrink it a bit, I've already started removing paint with acetone free nail polish remover (so I don't pollute the acetone later) and the sculpt is looking a lot better without that thick factory paint. Obviously he needs a body cloths etc..

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP Pslom3Y

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP UQfCprP

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP 0XX4cVO

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP IDrxOrB

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP PL7y8K6

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP R1u6tNs

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP VqFAoqi

Comparisons and measurements etc..

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP AEssRuN

3.75" scale figure, 11mm=4.4"

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP HU017yB

13" in cup form

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP M5RopMw

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP Hn0GI24

7" crest to chest

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP J25bwcG

Random 12" figure

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP 4674iBK

These cosplay guys look like they'd get the height right!

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP AOI3hUj

The reason for the tall head dresses! It wasn't CGI like most people think but very clever complicated animatronics!

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP PAUa4qt

Actors looked through the mouths I think.

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP 12A8LIA

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP Uenckbw

A scalpel later..

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP 6uCVPNF

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP K8qA7AX

Removed paint reveals pretty good sculpt

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP RntXdzn

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP I8wiylO

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP 3spa8ir

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Huh... pics posted fine this time....weird....GOOD!!!

Reference pics

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP Vg0J9p3

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP 1a0ocMo

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP MvTRGvo

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP Qf2p9iY

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP FFQzAHd

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP BCeVgiA

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP A52wgQZ

Figures

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP Mj1kHwj

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP DxC6niH

I'm pretty sure the Techno Union guy is tall too.

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP AEssRuN

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Your ingenuity never ceases to amaze. What an interesting upgrade -- and I can't blame you for getting bored with Neimoidians, but the nature of the kitbash itself ought to be enough to sustain your interest this time. Great start, and I agree, the head sculpt looks very promising stripped of the paint. I imagine the new paint would have a lot more nuance and washes to make it pop.

BAMComix

BAMComix
So creative, and really cool work!

Zes

Zes
I'm really interested in following along with this conversion.

I had one of those Darth Maul Ep. I cups when I was a kid.

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
What an interesting way to go. I’d wish you luck, but I doubt you really need it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP 1f10

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:Your ingenuity never ceases to amaze. What an interesting upgrade -- and I can't blame you for getting bored with Neimoidians, but the nature of the kitbash itself ought to be enough to sustain your interest this time. Great start, and I agree, the head sculpt looks very promising stripped of the paint. I imagine the new paint would have a lot more nuance and washes to make it pop.

I'm hoping better paint aps will help, I just need to shrink it (hopefully) first.

BAMComix wrote:So creative, and really cool work!

Early days yet but thanks!

Zes wrote:I'm really interested in following along with this conversion.

I had one of those Darth Maul Ep. I cups when I was a kid.

Thanks! He came with a Yoda one and an ST one as well but I don't think they'll be much use for 1/6.

Stryker2012 wrote:What an interesting way to go. I’d wish you luck, but I doubt you really need it.

Thank you! I'll be needing a lot of luck with the shrinking lol! I have learnt from my Vader mishap though.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Repetitive and 'experimental' stuff going on. Removing all the while paint 'tufts' from the gown using a razor, took a while but got it done. Had to wait for more new acetone before I could start trying to shrink the head, the paint was a pain to get off even with wire brush and nail varnish remover, I think I got a dud batch of that stuff in the second bottle, watered down or something as it was the same make as the one that worked quickly on the face but the 2nd bottle took ages to to remove stuff. Head and hands are in the first drying and shrinking phase and will need another two rounds of that done, I'll be looking for materials to make Nute's clothes next, pretty sure I got some stuff that'll work as long as I haven't used it all yet!

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP Y7FSKwH

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP Fa9f2yw

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP 96bP6x5

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP E3rWtUw

Switched to this large straight razor for better and faster removal of the paint

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP ErEkp6Z

Nearly there!

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP ZQWhrF1

Done! Any white flecks are just loose paint chips

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP NM9mrUK

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP M0YkEhc

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP XMs2vER

And a scene from the Warden's office in The Walking Dead!lol

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP Z4fGSCe

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP YR63dk7

Nice and swollen and floppy!

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP OLPbW4w

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP TdYCKyD

About 5.5"-6" from chin to top of crest right now in the swollen state.

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP TeSDl2G

Drying, going to take days to a week...

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP IaDWGdJ

Found some materials to make his clothing from.

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP 7tX0jdy

references

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP AOI3hUj

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP MvTRGvo

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP Vg0J9p3

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I had no idea that the drying process takes so long. That said, the head looks better already. The gown is also an improvement, both specifically and in general.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Nice work so far!

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:I had no idea that the drying process takes so long. That said, the head looks better already. The gown is also an improvement, both specifically and in general.

BAMComix wrote:Nice work so far!

Cheers guys! Not a lot more to show yet, I used pure acetone today for the first time and boy did the parts expand!! Should be good news for shrinking and them not falling apart like Vader's mask did. I cut the head into sections to allow more of a surface area and room for expansion that allows contraction to increase when dried/cured (I think the acetone displaces/replaces the air in the vinyl so when it evaporates the vinyl can constrict more due to elastic memory). Found some more yellow cloth and red/orange leather for the costume too.

Shrunk a bit but not enough yet..

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP YAfh0yx

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP 6raBvpD

To increases shrinkage hopefully

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP Fyum9Jr

1st time in pure acetone, very swollen, fragile but not broken.

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP ZbY2StP

got rid f the last of the paint too

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP Vcxwnf3

Paint pollution! I can filter some of it out with kitchen roll.

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP 72rC0iG

Drying and hopefully shrinking at the same time

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP IGB6kAs

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP O9yopsn

More material to choose from

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP 0LzAn2Z

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Pretty good progress. Such a unique way to build these guys.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

SW Neimoidians: (LACKY STARTED) Nute Gunray & a lacky WIP 1f10

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I agree with Mark. It's sure great that you know what you're doing.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
Stryker2012 wrote:Pretty good progress. Such a unique way to build these guys.

GubernatorFan wrote:I agree with Mark. It's sure great that you know what you're doing.

Because no one else has a clue what i'm doing?lol!
It's my usual rigorous method of: no idea what I'm doing either, what happens next might work... keeps it interesting for me at least.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
shovelchop81 wrote:Because no one else has a clue what i'm doing?lol!
It's my usual rigorous method of: no idea what I'm doing either, what happens next might work... keeps it interesting for me at least.  
Well, I thought I knew, but at this point I am confused whether the acetone bath shrinks or increases the size of the pieces.

Zes

Zes
Yeah, I agree. This whole acetone technique is lost on me.

Aside from stripping paint from some robust materials, i.e., metals, I'd never want to use it. I'd be afraid of the acetone eating through plastic.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh wow, neat to see the acetone method here! I used it myself on some lekku from an Ahsoka doll a while back -- unfortunately, the end result still wasn't small enough to work for my needs, but it DID shrink considerably and didn't ruin the plastic at all.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

shovelchop81

shovelchop81
GubernatorFan wrote:
Well, I thought I knew, but at this point I am confused whether the acetone bath shrinks or increases the size of the pieces.

Zes wrote:Yeah, I agree. This whole acetone technique is lost on me.

Aside from stripping paint from some robust materials, i.e., metals, I'd never want to use it. I'd be afraid of the acetone eating through plastic.

Well to answer both of you simultaneously it does both but in order of making the vinyl bigger then smaller, always finishing with smaller. Think of the vinyl as a partially inflated balloon, the added acetone causes it to 'inflate' more but as the acetone leaves/evaporates, it takes all the original air with it too so the balloon is now completely empty and is as small as it can be (this is sort of a mixed metaphor so I don't know exactly how a balloon would react to acetone IRL).

skywalkersaga wrote:Oh wow, neat to see the acetone method here! I used it myself on some lekku from an Ahsoka doll a while back -- unfortunately, the end result still wasn't small enough to work for my needs, but it DID shrink considerably and didn't ruin the plastic at all.

At least someone knows what's going on! LOL! I wonder if I have that Ahsoka hs too, is it from the "designed for girls according to Mattel or Hasbro line of toys"? I've built a few figures from using that line as a base already. I can't remember their names, it's too early or I'm getting too old!! Need coffee.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Yes, it was from the Forces of Destiny line of dolls from a while back (circa 2018 or so). I have few others as well that I've sourced parts from. Pretty much all those dolls are good for from a 1/6 perspective.... each one has maybe a handful of spare parts that can be 'debarbified' so to speak. ;p

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Zes

Zes
shovelchop81 wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:

Zes wrote:Yeah, I agree. This whole acetone technique is lost on me.

Well to answer both of you   simultaneously it does both but in order of making the vinyl bigger then smaller, always finishing with smaller. Think of the vinyl as a partially inflated balloon, the added acetone causes it to 'inflate' more but as the acetone leaves/evaporates, it takes all the original air with it too so the balloon is now completely empty and is as small as it can be (this is sort of a mixed metaphor so I don't know exactly how a balloon would react to acetone IRL).

Ah, I see. I think my confusion was from my miniature painting days. Acetone would eat through polystyrene models with ease. I have not worked with vinyl models before, so I assumed it would react similar to acetone as polystyrene.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 5]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum