OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Vietnam Era Wolverine

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Vietnam Era Wolverine Empty Vietnam Era Wolverine Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:40 pm

Joe Friday

Joe Friday
I finally got around to finishing my first custom figure. This one is for a friend. My friend decided he didn't want the figure permanently affixed to the diorama so for now we're going with a standard crotch stand. I have some various backgrounds I could use to put behind the figure but the ones I have just don't feel right. Does anyone here know of a place or have a source that makes backgrounds for detolfs etc? Preferably ones that would work well with military and jungle themes?
Vietnam Era Wolverine 10301910
Vietnam Era Wolverine 10301911
Vietnam Era Wolverine 10301912

2Vietnam Era Wolverine Empty Re: Vietnam Era Wolverine Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:41 pm

Joe Friday

Joe Friday
Vietnam Era Wolverine 10301913
Vietnam Era Wolverine 10301914
Vietnam Era Wolverine 10301915

3Vietnam Era Wolverine Empty Re: Vietnam Era Wolverine Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:49 pm

Joe Friday

Joe Friday
Vietnam Era Wolverine 10301916
Vietnam Era Wolverine 10301917
Vietnam Era Wolverine 10301918

4Vietnam Era Wolverine Empty Re: Vietnam Era Wolverine Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:51 pm

Joe Friday

Joe Friday
Vietnam Era Wolverine 10301919
Vietnam Era Wolverine 10301920
Vietnam Era Wolverine 10301921

5Vietnam Era Wolverine Empty Re: Vietnam Era Wolverine Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:16 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Fine custom figure you've made, with beautiful paint detail. The stand looks great too, though I'm thinking you might as well have painted the plastic casing for the stand and hidden it behind a wrap of plants. As for backdrop makers, I don't know to what extent they take on commissions, but you could check with thecardboardgalaxy and battlegroundsgames on eBay. This is for a more or less permanent display background for a Detolf. For photos or as a start (for a permanent background) you can find yourself a sufficiently good quality image and have it printed on (preferably matte poly) paper at Staples or similar establishments. An example, from my TBL M35 review on this site (HERE) --
Vietnam Era Wolverine M3579a10

Hope this helps.

6Vietnam Era Wolverine Empty Re: Vietnam Era Wolverine Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:35 am

Joe Friday

Joe Friday
Thank you for your words and suggestions/links. We are not quite finished with the diorama just yet. Since I made this for a friend I have not disguised the black crotch grabber just yet. My friend is building a box to put him in and he'll finish up disguising the diorama then. That's a good idea about painting the border of the diorama. I cannot take credit for the diorama though. @mrzombiesworkshop made it for me. Mary Frost from Frost Vision Studios did the dirt and sweat on the face. I did a terrible job at capturing her details. Plus all the splattered blood I put on his face makes her work harder to notice. I did do all the weathering and mud etc. I really didn't know what I was doing. I hope to improve with further projects.

7Vietnam Era Wolverine Empty Re: Vietnam Era Wolverine Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:38 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That figure looks awesome! Great idea for a custom! Smile

Re: backgrounds: I know Monkey Depot sometimes has DID military backdrops available, but I’m guessing you’re maybe arleeady aware of those. Getting something printed yourself would be neat and would mean you could also choose a custom image to cover the floor/ground as well. Though at least one of the eBay sellers GF mentioned also include floor options sometimes too, iirc.

8Vietnam Era Wolverine Empty Re: Vietnam Era Wolverine Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:36 pm

Joe Friday

Joe Friday
Actually that one background you see is a DiD one from Monkey Depot. When I ordered a handful of them a while back I was expecting them to all be sized for a detolf. But about every background is a different size. I like the ideas you two suggested to me. I'm not exactly sure what route we'll go yet since this project is for a friend. I'm definitely going to check this eBay seller out.

skywalkersaga wrote:That figure looks awesome! Great idea for a custom!  Smile

Re: backgrounds:  I know Monkey Depot sometimes has DID military backdrops available, but I’m guessing you’re maybe arleeady aware of those. Getting something printed yourself would be neat and would mean you could also choose a custom image to cover the floor/ground as well. Though at least one of the eBay sellers GF mentioned also include floor options sometimes too, iirc.

9Vietnam Era Wolverine Empty Re: Vietnam Era Wolverine Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:50 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ah, yes, I figured the one you were using might be one of those. And I know what you mean -- I ordered a foresty one a while back, thinking it would be quite tall, but it seems only just big enough for one figure, not for a whole scene like I was thinking. Which was a bit of a bummer, but ah well. :/

And I was able to view your photos on my laptop instead of just on my phone, and I think you did a great job with it. I know how hard it is to get 'blood' to look right, but it definitely has the desired effect. And I love the 'mud' on his boots, that looks really good! Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

10Vietnam Era Wolverine Empty Re: Vietnam Era Wolverine Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:05 pm

Ovy

Ovy
I like the weathering you and the others did. Screaming emotional gunshooting figures are great. It's from one of those Wolverine Origin story intros, right?

But I think you could tweak his stance a bit, make the distribution of weight look more realistic (for a single handed MG hip shooting superhuman anyway) Maybe make his upper body more leaned back, put the stock between biceps and body, aim the MG slightly higher and spread the legs for stability while shooting bad guys. You could also let the gun belt run through his claws.

Here is an accurate realistic portayal of a certified reenactor ( some kind of history professor probably) showing  what I mean.
Vietnam Era Wolverine Giphy

11Vietnam Era Wolverine Empty Re: Vietnam Era Wolverine Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:56 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nice to see you back, Joe. Excellent work on Wolvie. Looks appropriately dirty and bloody. As far as a Detolf backdrop (here's one that might fit the bill):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-6th-Scale-Star-Wars-SCARIF-JUNGLE-Ikea-DETOLF-15x15-Diorama-Backdrop/323852463958?hash=item4b671c6f56:g:ucsAAOSwRJZdIVT~

You could always add more plants to cover up the sand in the picture.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Vietnam Era Wolverine C8485110

12Vietnam Era Wolverine Empty Re: Vietnam Era Wolverine Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:41 pm

Joe Friday

Joe Friday
That looks like a really good option. I'll see what my friend will want to do. If he builds this display box bigger than a detolf we may have to go for something more custom.
Ovy, you are correct. I got the ideas from the Origins intro. I got the feeling that Logan was tagging along with Victor in these wars to kinda keep an eye on him. I already have an upcoming Vietnam project with both Wolverine and Sabretooth together but I'm waiting for their heads to be rooted by Shane Pool.
I'm sure we'll adjust his pose a bit once we get him in his final case/box. And you had a good idea about propping the butt of the mg under his armpit. I had a very hard time getting that stupid gun to stay put where it is. It's so heavy especially with the metal ammo belt. I will see if I can adjust the belt to drape over his claws. If I can't I have more links I can add.

13Vietnam Era Wolverine Empty Re: Vietnam Era Wolverine Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:34 am

rollotomasi

rollotomasi
Nicely done with the weathering and blood spatters.
The base looks great too, looks convincing as 1:1.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum