OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

History of Artillery-- 17th century

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 3]

1History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty History of Artillery-- 17th century Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:13 pm

GregT

I so enjoyed the Ancient Rome threads here--
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3341-help-with-1-6-praetorian

and here--
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1443-early-imperial-roman-infantry-kitbash
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1716-roman-infantry-2019-kaustic-plastik-review

it made me want to finish the Roman onager I started long ago--

Bellum Romanum
History of Artillery-- 17th century IMG_8940

this is the release hook, yanked free when the stone is ready to fly
History of Artillery-- 17th century IMG_8895

History of Artillery-- 17th century IMG_8898_(3)

History of Artillery-- 17th century IMG_8922

Centurion w/lorica hamata made from a chain-mesh ladies' coin pouch
History of Artillery-- 17th century IMG_8929

I was never thrilled with my choice of wood from the scrap lumber pile but once I'd gotten the main parts
glued and screwed I didn't want to start over.... and I haven't tried it yet but if I tighten the rubber bands
as far as they'll go, I bet I could take out the picture window across the street.... (j/k of course!)

edit: interesting video about the most likely use of catapults, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztd4qXY3Unc

2History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:20 pm

Chip

Awesome ! And totally unique . You should be very proud of this .

3History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:22 pm

shazzdan

shazzdan
Very nice. Is it functional?

4History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:25 pm

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Holy crap, this is freakin EPIC!!! And it WORKS?!?! I want to make some 1/6 foam walls just to huck rocks at with this. Beautiful man. And that mail armor looks great! I know what a pain it can be to work with that material, and that looks so perfect.

5History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:29 pm

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
That's a great build, you should totally test fire it (if you haven't) in your backyard or somewhere else far away from any windows.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! History of Artillery-- 17th century 1f60e

6History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:05 pm

davidd

davidd
Okay, this is cool! For the detail, yes, but more so because it actually works!

Did you come up with the design yourself?

7History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:10 am

GregT

Chip wrote:Awesome ! And totally unique . You should be very proud of this .
thank you, Chip

shazzdan wrote:Very nice. Is it functional?
absolutely

ReverendSpooky wrote:...that mail armor looks great!  I know what a pain it can be to work with that material, and that looks so perfect.
thank you, Adam... the older chain-mesh items (purses, pouches, etc.) will take repeated bending and re-working
to get the right fit on a figure, the newer light aluminum mesh breaks too easily

Theboo-bomb wrote:That's a great build, you should totally test fire it (if you haven't) in your backyard or somewhere else far away from any windows.
I'll do it!

davidd wrote:Did you come up with the design yourself?
thank you, David, the pics are all very similar but this is probably the one that stuck in my head:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Onager_with_sling.png

8History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:52 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
For a moment I thought you were going to be showing off the new (soon to be or already released?) ballista from HaoYu & HH Model (HERE). But the fact that you made your own functional onager and that it looks so good is so much more impressive. Well done! And nice job on the custom centurion. I would not know what to do with 1:1 "chain" mail, never mind 1:6. Smile

9History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:59 am

Valiarde

Valiarde
Very cool! So many great builders in the 1/6 department - it is always a joy to watch

10History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:33 am

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
That is really neat — impressive attention to detail. And the chain mail is really well done (especially having originally been a coin purse). I definitely wouldn’t mind seeing it in action. cheers

He who dies with the most toys wins!

History of Artillery-- 17th century C8485110

11History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:05 am

Ovy

Ovy
That totally awesomnius est, dominus Gregcus sir. Just beautiful, precise work. And I really like the kind of thread you used.

What didn't you like about the wood you used, the texture looking out of scale?

Beautiful job on these repurposed chain purses, too. Mail is the kind of clothing I try to avoid as it would drive me crazy to find the right stuff and I cant imagine it being that cheap ( in money or time spent to make your own) either.

12History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:55 am

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Well done! As a former senior NCO of artillery, I am always happy to see stuff dedicated to my arm of service. Ubique!

13History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:26 pm

GregT

Castillon, 1453
The final battle of the Hundred Years' War was also the first in which
French artillery was a deciding factor in the defeat of English forces
History of Artillery-- 17th century IMG_8933
the little cannon is a Denix item, the dished and hooped wheels may look odd for this time period
but actually the Romans understood that for a chariot to make a turn at speed the wheels had to
be dished, otherwise a flat wheel (Egyptian style) would collapse

History of Artillery-- 17th century IMG_8935

History of Artillery-- 17th century IMG_8937

History of Artillery-- 17th century TakingPoint033

History of Artillery-- 17th century TakingPoint003-1History of Artillery-- 17th century TakingPoint007-1

History of Artillery-- 17th century IMG_0161

(and to Gary-- thank you for your service, sir...)

14History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:25 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Really excellent figures. That cannon is sweet. All the attention to detail really pays off.

15History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:53 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very nice band of soldiers, and exquisite piece of artillery. Beautifully presented, too, both with the background and outdoors.

16History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:22 am

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Those guys look great, I didn't know about the wheels so I learned something new. I think my favorites are the archers.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! History of Artillery-- 17th century 1f60e

17History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:24 pm

Ovy

Ovy
Finally I know why they make wheels like that!

Great band of troublemakers in believable scale environment, very interesting and unique looking headsculpts.

The zealous archer looks great indeed,
what kind of bendable wood and thread did you use for the bow? Haven't tried yet to make a flexible bow, only fake ones with elastic thread, but shooting stances look wrong with those. Afraid drawing might destroy them immediately, haha. Also not sure if the hands could hold the string in position.

Does the crossbow work too?

18History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:51 pm

GregT

thank you, Boo, I've long admired your historical post here--
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2188-military-forces-of-spanish-colonial-puerto-rico?highlight=puerto+rico+spanish
(man, the Spanish sure got around, and the Portuguese empire from 1415 to the handover of
Macau in 1999)

Ovy, if memory serves the bow is from Ignite Viking, supple plastic but I put a stretchy string
on it so I get an almost believable draw. yeah the crossbow works...sorta... if I replaced the
weak plastic bowstave with a piece of metal I'd probably put my eye out

19History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:54 pm

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
GregT wrote:...if I replaced the
weak plastic bowstave with a piece of metal I'd probably put my eye out

History of Artillery-- 17th century Giphy

20History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:58 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Stunning work, GregT! I love to see medieval figures that were obviously put together with such care. Love all of them. Their outfits are wonderful, and the weathering is excellent. You used such interesting sculpts for them as well. Who is the rugged looking fellow iwth the crossbow? And the blond guy... is that a Heath Ledger sculpt? And did you re-hair him?

Those outdoor shots are spectacular!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

21History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:34 pm

Ovy

Ovy
skywalkersaga wrote:Stunning work, GregT! I love to see medieval figures that were obviously put together with such care. Love all of them. Their outfits are wonderful, and the weathering is excellent. You used such interesting sculpts for them as well. Who is the rugged looking fellow iwth the crossbow? And the blond guy... is that a Heath Ledger sculpt? And did you re-hair him?

Those outdoor shots are spectacular!

Yeah thought so too, looks like the omnipresent Joker ledger but with healed cuts, making him look healthy.

22History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:37 pm

GregT

ohhh, Stryker, you read my mind!

skywalkersaga wrote: ...who is the rugged looking fellow with the crossbow? And the blond guy... is that a Heath Ledger sculpt? And did you re-hair him?
blond guy is the Coomodel Order du Temple knight, not re-haired, (I experiment with the hair thing but always panic when it comes time to make it permanent!),
crossbowman sculpt is from the early days of DML, excellent repaint by someone more than ten years ago..... thanks for your kind comments, Sky!

23History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:41 pm

GregT

Tenochtitlan, 1521
Allied with Tlaxcaltec warriors, gunpowder, and smallpox Hernan Cortes laid siege
to the Aztec capital in small, hastily constructed ships armed with cannon.
Three months later the last great Mesoamerican civilization had come to an end.
History of Artillery-- 17th century IMG_8950

the conquistador outfit is another creation of my late mother, the sword is from John Carter of Mars,
the background cannon was a rare garage sale find, I put the cannon deck together myself
and made the carriage of the foreground falconet based on this pic--
History of Artillery-- 17th century HalfMoonFalconet_1_

History of Artillery-- 17th century IMG_8887(1)

(if you're a fan of Werner Herzog films, "Aguirre, the Wrath of God" is a must see)

edit: well, I'd not seen this before--
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1zRGAXTlT8
yikes!

24History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:59 pm

Ovy

Ovy
Wow, your mum really brought such beautiful things to life, she made that million pearl dress too, if I remember correctly?

But the history behind it all...so depressing. Small pox indeed. And he probably was not the nicest guy out there.

Btw, did you ever come across a 1/6 Morion? The only one I ever saw was from a Swiss Vatican Guard set. My brother is in the process of 3d printing some for a friend.

25History of Artillery-- 17th century Empty Re: History of Artillery-- 17th century Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:12 pm

GregT

Ovy wrote:...did you ever come across a 1/6 Morion?

I have one that's, how shall I say.... toyish.
and one that's very, very nice. I'll post a pic if you like

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 3]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum