OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

A first experiment with plaster backdrop.

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
A first experiment with plaster backdrop. 50761961443_dc590110c0_bPlaster background; 1st test. by Gary Menten, on Flickr

As I will be shooting entirely indoors for the duration of the winter and probably for most of the summer, I've decided to bring the outdoors indoors and started experimenting with the creation of background and foreground rocks and such using plaster over a framework, in this case a foam-core frame, which was not the best solution. Though this rock was not large enough to allow for a 2 x 3 aspect ratio and the photo had to be cropped square, I judge the overall result to be not bad for a first attempt.

The observer can judge for himself or herself if I have been successful.

davidd

davidd
Impressively realistic! I would not have known this was an artificial backdrop!

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
I agree, looks good.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Your rock rocks, Gary, especially for an artificial one. Well done.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That looks quite good, especially for the first attempt!

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
skywalkersaga wrote:That looks quite good, especially for the first attempt!

Thanks. As I explained, this was primarily intended to be an experiment with materials I hadn't used before....Woodland Scenics pigments and a painting technique I'd never tried. It also provided a handy reference for how much scenic material would be required for the next phase of the project, which is to build a much larger backdrop, but only one-sided backdrop.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looks pretty good. cheers

He who dies with the most toys wins!

A first experiment with plaster backdrop. C8485110

GregT

very nice, keep us updated on how the larger one progresses...
big enough for the Tonka zombie-killer truck, I suppose?

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
GregT wrote:very nice, keep us updated on how the larger one progresses...

big enough for the Tonka zombie-killer truck, I suppose?

Yes. The next one will be 4 ft wide.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
I think you did a great job recreating a stone texture, in my opinion natural stone can be a bit tricky to get right, specially at this scale.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! A first experiment with plaster backdrop. 1f60e

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Theboo-bomb wrote:I think you did a great job recreating a stone texture, in my opinion natural stone can be a bit tricky to get right, specially at this scale.

Just using basic model railroading techniques, which on the whole, are intended for entirely different scales.

Delanie

Delanie
I don't know if you tried it but; 

if you use normal plaster of paris or mod roc, painting it with pva helps to prevent chipping and makes the plaster more durable.

alternatively i have seem pva and the powder mixed together but not sure on the drying times. 

another trick for lightweight  scenery is cut or layer foam and then cover it with kitchen towel pva paper Mache the thinness of the tissue layers slide and crumples to make rock effects this works for all scales.

Ovy

Ovy
Yes, looks very interesting. Doesn't hurt to have an outdoor diorama for indoor shots (or the other way round?) anyway.

And great tips Delaine, thanks.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
Back drop looks great, and totally works! Great shot too.

Delanie, now I want to take a shot at those tricks you mentioned! Thanks for the head's up.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Delanie wrote:I don't know if you tried it but; 

if you use normal plaster of paris or mod roc, painting it with pva helps to prevent chipping and makes the plaster more durable.

alternatively i have seem pva and the powder mixed together but not sure on the drying times. 

another trick for lightweight  scenery is cut or layer foam and then cover it with kitchen towel pva paper Mache the thinness of the tissue layers slide and crumples to make rock effects this works for all scales.

Thanks for the tip, Delanie. I'll have to try that sometime.

csyeung

csyeung
Looks good! Would not have known it was plaster if you hadn't mentioned. I thought it was a piece of wood/tree bark in the background.

Valiarde

Valiarde
Good test. Looks real so far, interested in seeing more of it.

I tried many different options for backgrounds. Many options.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum