OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

So what is the 1/6th hobby for you ?

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

1So what is the 1/6th hobby for you ?  Empty So what is the 1/6th hobby for you ? Sun Aug 20, 2023 7:00 pm

Chip

Firstly let me be clear , I am not criticizing anyone for what they do , or for what part of the hobby that they get pleasure from . But I do notice , that pretty much every time I click on view posts since last visit , there is a generally a reasonable list of " New Products " , no bad thing , it`s good to know what's on the horizon , it`s noticeably becoming an annoyance for many of us , with the dreaded pre order escapades though , the latest Anakin release , certainly ruffled some feathers , limited to 3000 was it ? I would of said that was a lot . I remember paying for all the 1st edition " Platoon " figures , all limited pre order of 500 , you would think these would of increased in money , but from my findings they are still difficult to sale .
Anyways , I been in the hobby must be 30 plus years , starting off with vintage Action Man figures , then there was the 21st century figure releases and those from Dragon Models , being a NAM fan , I decided to try and stick to that line , who could afford or keep up with all those German figures released by Dragon back then ? For me with the vintage figures , it was paramount really to get everything in complete and very good condition , the release of the 21st stuff , and the figures from Dragon , opened a door really for what we called / call kit bashing . Dealers and collectors started splitting boxed figures and selling stuff loose , still done today I know . But I wonder how many of us are still doing this ? It takes some imagination , and a certain amount of skill and research if your going for historic realism . I feel this part of the hobby has quite drastically reduced , not so often we see kit bashed figures these days , it would seem perhaps the hobby has become a collecting hobby maybe , rather than one where we need to use modelling skills or imagination . Costs may have played a part I suppose , nothing is cheap anymore . I wonder are collectors opening these high end 12 months waiting for pre order figures and playing with them , or just putting them in a cabinet to display ? I got so many ideas and unfinished projects , and I still keep buying stuff .... Be nice to hear what people are doing in the hobby . And I thought it might make for some interesting chat .

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Hmm, well, I've 'only' been in the hobby about 5 years (since 2018), but the entire reason I joined this forum was not for collecting purposes, but rather for customising advice. I was already a 'collector' before than, just in other scales. But when the original Hot Toys Anakin figure was released, I decided I would get him, but ONLY if I could figure out a way to make other custom figures to go along with him. There were hardly any other Prequels/Clone Wars figures at that time, so I was highly driven to create my own line-up. And even after HT put out more and more figures from my preferred 'era' in recent years, I'm still mostly focused on customising. Despite the recent Artisan Anakin escapade, collecting figures isn't my main purpose. Through whatever weird confluence, there just so happened to be a rather high number of figures on my wishlist that were put up for pre-order over the last year. But I'd actually much rather be spending my time and money on customising. The dilemma for me becomes 'would I rather try to track down the parted-out pieces on ebay, which are getting harder and harder to come by, just so I can put together my own version, or should I just buy the boxed figure and then make modifications to it to suit my own preferences?' Prior to the pandemic, brexit, and the rise in cost of living in the UK, I used to do the former. But now I am more likely to do the latter option. For example, I have a Vader figure on pre-order that I'm only buying because I want to use it for a base for kitbashing. So I suppose for me, the hobby is both collecting and customising all at the same time. I don't see them as mutually exclusive. There is a certain mentality that I see in some collecting circles which I can only describe as elitist and overly competitive, but that is not what drives me personally. My collection exists entirely to indulge my own personal 'fangirl' tastes, NOT to show-off or 'impress' others. In my case, it was the very fact I 'collected' one single Hot Toys figure that lead me to want to kitbash and customise 1/6 figures in the first place. And likewise, now when I acquire a 1/6 figure, I often tend to make some kind of modifcation to it because I'm super picky and am rarely totally satisified with the official products.

Note: I prefer to make figures entirely from scratch whenever possible, but it depends a lot on the character. And purchasing loose bodies and headsculpts is nowadays quite pricey in and of itself. So whether I create a figure from scratch or decide to buy a boxed figure and modify just depends on how many accessories the character needs and other things like that. Some fellow customisers have very kindly over the years helped me with 3D printing projects, which greatly helps the ability to circumvent certain purchases.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

ZeroDelta

ZeroDelta
I started with the hobby again around 2008 I think, maybe a bit earlier and I started with a Dragon Modern figure, the 101st Airborne in Iraq, if I remember, since then I have bought both out of the box figures, as well as kitbashed a lot of stuff, all my NAM figures for example are kitbashes.

Being mostly focused on modern military and near future stuff, makes it easy to get figures and also make kitbashes. I recently finished a modern Operator in Tiger Stripes, but I also did a 1960s style Mercenary in French Lizard Pattern.

Most of what I buy are either things that I think are cool or that might fit into my plans for building my own "Figureverse" (blame Dal and co. for the long running comic story that inspired me to try something like that myself and maybe join them at some point), so the recent buys also fit into that.

I did preorder figures way back in the day, thats how I got the Hot Toys Appleseed figs as well as the Sideshow Indy, and thats also how I got the Ekuaz Studio Scale Grim Reaper Company Security Service Operator, but preorders are a rarity for me, simply because I do not like to preorder stuff and the shop I buy most of my stuff from does not do them, so its either in stock, or I wait.

I am glad tho, that the Hobby has gotten so diverse and board, I recall that when I started, seamless figures were not a thing and female figures were so niche that only a handful of companies made them. Kitbashing and customization of figures has also gotten easier, you can get a lot of different bodies nowadays and thanks to 3D printing, custom parts are not a problem either.

I personally would have been much father in my plans, if it was not due to personal circumstances and health issues preventing me from getting stuff done, I have enough parts, I have 3 unopened boxed figures, but no time, but all that will hopefully change soon.

So yeah, I also do both, I collect and I customize. Thing is, even the out of the box figures I buy will be tweaked in some way, simply because there are things that I think work better (or in some cases, parts break and have to be replaced). Example: the Special Forces Sniper I got, came with a grey backpack that I did not care for, so I gave him different backpack, the Army Ranger figure got a drop down holster, because it worked better then then one it came with.

Hell, I bought a kitbashed figure of a Special Forces Machine gunner, I added a radio headset to the figure, instead of the one it came with, because it made more sense. That is the great thing these days: figures come loaded with parts and its up to you how you want it to look and if there is something you think is missing, there are enough parts you can buy and add.

Valiarde

Valiarde
Hey Chip, it is quiet a coincidence that you started this thread just now.

I'm also a member on a nother (very small) message board and many of the "old guards" there are also leaving the hobby or wondering, why many new collectors are often of a different mind set. I think they are very similar to you, long time in the hobby, doing much kitbashing etc.

We were discussion the reasons why we do not get many new members (besides some dumb disputes among some users) and came to the conclusion that the hobby is indeed changing (and growing). Especially if we look into social media figure groups on sites like facebook - most of the people there are pure "shelf collectors". They buy and sell all the time trying to get their favourite collection displayed. Once they have something finished it isn't uncommon that they sell it and try to collect another line. Which is totally valid of course.
But kitbashing? You are hard pressed to find them among these people.
Some of them buy Diorama parts for the shelf presence or maybe create a little base by themselves. But thats it.

Most of these people wouldn't joining a message board (except for looking at inhand pics of boxed figures).
As for myself, I startet the hobby mainly because of photography. Doing settings and stories - but later I realized that there is more to it than taking pics. Doing some kitbashing is real fun. But I'm far away from some people on here who do mainly kitbashing and rarely buying boxed stuff. For me it is a mix of buying what I like and crafting. Smile

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Valiarde wrote:
We were discussion the reasons why we do not get many new members (besides some dumb disputes among some users) and came to the conclusion that the hobby is indeed changing (and growing). Especially if we look into social media figure groups on sites like facebook - most of the people there are pure "shelf collectors". They buy and sell all the time trying to get their favourite collection displayed. Once they have something finished it isn't uncommon that they sell it and try to collect another line. Which is totally valid of course.
Some of them buy Diorama parts for the shelf presence or maybe create a little base by themselves. But thats it.

Ah, that's the word for them -- 'shelf collectors' ! And as you say, that's certainly one way of going about it. There's nothing inherently wrong with that approach. But I admit I do take issue with the attitudes of some of those type of collectors, because they often seem like they're merely trying to out-do one another rather than actually collect something they are truly passionate about.

Valiarde

Valiarde
skywalkersaga wrote:
Valiarde wrote:

Ah, that's the word for them -- 'shelf collectors' ! And as you say, that's certainly one way of going about it. There's nothing inherently wrong with that approach. But I admit I do take issue with the attitudes of some of those type of collectors, because they often seem like they're merely trying to out-do one another rather than actually collect something they are truly passionate about.

Yeah that is true I also get that impression from some of them. That also shows in my highlighted sentence: Why would you sell sth you are so truely passionate about?

ZeroDelta

ZeroDelta
They are speculators that see the figures as an investment. Once the collection is complete, they wait for a opportunity to sell them for the highest offer and make bank. They will collect superheros fora while, then sell it, then hop onto Star Wars and so on and so forth. Its those people that scalp others, that are often buying Boxed figures in bulk when they are of a limited production so they can sell them for a lot more etc.

And then you wonder why prices are rising, when you consider, there are people who will buy figures for 300 and more and are willing to pay thousands of dollars for rare figures, just so they can show them off and brag about it and then resell them for even more.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
ZeroDelta wrote:They are speculators that see the figures as an investment. Once the collection is complete, they wait for a opportunity to sell them for the highest offer and make bank. They will collect superheros fora while, then sell it, then hop onto Star Wars and so on and so forth. Its those people that scalp others, that are often buying Boxed figures in bulk when they are of a limited production so they can sell them for a lot more etc.

And then you wonder why prices are rising, when you consider, there are people who will buy figures for 300 and more and are willing to pay thousands of dollars for rare figures, just so they can show them off and brag about it and then resell them for even more.

Yes, good points. It's the cynicism of the approach that I find off-putting. I'm in it as a legimitate fan, so I can't really relate to that mentality.

ZeroDelta

ZeroDelta
skywalkersaga wrote:
ZeroDelta wrote:They are speculators that see the figures as an investment. Once the collection is complete, they wait for a opportunity to sell them for the highest offer and make bank. They will collect superheros fora while, then sell it, then hop onto Star Wars and so on and so forth. Its those people that scalp others, that are often buying Boxed figures in bulk when they are of a limited production so they can sell them for a lot more etc.

Yes, good points. It's the cynicism of the approach that I find off-putting. I'm in it as a legimitate fan, so I can't really relate to that mentality.

Same here. While I did sell some of my part and even some of my kitbashes, I did that solely because I was in a bind and needed money. And yes, I am a fan, I am in the hobby to be creative, its not a investment or something.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
ZeroDelta wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:

Same here. While I did sell some of my part and even some of my kitbashes, I did that solely because I was in a bind and needed money. And yes, I am a fan, I am in the hobby to be creative, its not a investment or something.  

Oh yes, I've sold items before, too. When one of my dogs was ill I had a lot of vet fees to pay and I was pretty desperate so sold two HT figures. I regret selling them now but I didn't have any other options at the time. So, yeah, I'm not against that, it's part of the hobby. But I also don't add figures to my collection simply with the idea of making money off them in future, either.

valentin

valentin
Hmm... the orginal trilogy Starwars, not 1/6, begun this hobby, or passion?

Having started with model kits, then micromachines, then hasbro figures, and straight into 1/6 sideshow starwars, those were the hey days.

The detailing on 1/6 sideshow was da best of their times, as compared to other toy lines.

However, with hot toys taking over the license, and marvel started, it become more of customs for me, to be able to realize the unmade figures of my fav sci-fi or horrer genre movies/games/series.

Then I stumbled upon this forum and the rest is history....

To me, my main point has always been recreation or doing up dioramas of actual scenes from the abovementioned. Whilst not as artistic as those veterans of this forum, it did however bolster my confidence and daring-ness to try further, with 3D printing, to recreate those scenes, or the toys i wanted but could never have.

And that's what this place and the 1/6 hobby is to me, it's a.... galaxy far far away.....

(To be honest... these days, it's more of a space issue than a money issue to get all the fav figures) Razz

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
valentin wrote:Hmm... the orginal trilogy Starwars, not 1/6, begun this hobby, or passion?

Having started with model kits, then micromachines, then hasbro figures, and straight into 1/6 sideshow starwars, those were the hey days.

The detailing on 1/6 sideshow was da best of their times, as compared to other toy lines.

However, with hot toys taking over the license, and marvel started, it become more of customs for me, to be able to realize the unmade figures of my fav sci-fi or horrer genre movies/games/series.

Then I stumbled upon this forum and the rest is history....

To me, my main point has always been recreation or doing up dioramas of actual scenes from the abovementioned. Whilst not as artistic as those veterans of this forum, it did however bolster my confidence and daring-ness to try further, with 3D printing, to recreate those scenes, or the toys i wanted but could never have.

And that's what this place and the 1/6 hobby is to me, it's a.... galaxy far far away.....

(To be honest... these days, it's more of a space issue than a money issue to get all the fav figures) Razz

Aww, I like your approach and can also relate to that. I love you I didn't collect model kits or micromachines, but rather 3.75" SW figures. I still have those, but haven't really avidly collected them since I got into 1/6. Currently, my aim is similar to yours, in that I want to build up to being able to do dioramas and scenes.... my progress is very slow, though, sigh...

And yes, also limited space is an issue... Razz

davidd

davidd
ZeroDelta wrote: Most of what I buy are either things that I think are cool or that might fit into my plans for building my own "Figureverse"....

Zero-D pretty much sums up my approach to new and pre-owned purchases with this statement.

Valiarde wrote: As for myself, I started the hobby mainly because of photography. Doing settings and stories....

Photography is what led to my interest in action figures. I had sold off all my childhood toys, including GI Joe and his pals. When I took the photos for the eBay listings, I couldn't help but set up some little scenes, to try to differentiate my eBay pix from the other listings.

Then, after nearly all my old toys were gone, I continued with photography as a hobby; at some point I started noticing some fun toy photos on Flickr, similar to the simple scenes I had set up for my eBay photos. Some online friends began posting photos of a line of small Japanese figures, which led to my purchasing a few. "I just need two or three to use for photos," I told myself.

So what is the 1/6th hobby for you ?  22511649_ec4da48f42
Pinky Street Figure Photo - June 2005

My first purchase of my "toy photography hobby" arrived in June 2005. I happened to be fixing a leaking sink faucet that day, hence the subject of my "First Toy Photo of My Modern Era." Rolling Eyes

Stories followed:

So what is the 1/6th hobby for you ?  40435344851_b878f9d945_z

Now here I am, some years later... with no focus whatsoever to my "collection" other than what at the time I thought "looked cool" or would fit in to a photo-story. I have toys, dolls, and figures in a variety of scales, from "green plastic army men" up to 1/3-scale fashion dolls; and a variety of brands and lines: GI Joe, Pinky-Street, Monster High, Bratz, Integrity, TBLeague/Phicen, and Smart Dolls among others.

Do I "kitbash" figures? Not in the pure sense of trying to closely emulate real-world history or page- or screen-accurate portrayals of characters. Rather, I combine bits and pieces to create a "look" for a character for a story, or sometimes just for fun. The same approach applies to my diorama efforts -- trying to convey a general impression rather than modeling a specific prototype example.

So what is the 1/6th hobby for you ?  Victor_fireplace_square
Works in Progress

The "explorer guy" and the fireplace are both current works-in-progress. The figure is a "kitbash" from various sources, based on a current TBLeague male body (M32), a head sculpt from a decade or more ago, a Hasbro GI Joe helmet from the 1970s, and a variety of action figure accessories either purchased parted-out online or "borrowed" from complete figures I've purchased in the past. The fireplace is cobbled together out of styrofoam (EPS insulation foam), white glue (PVA), and toothpicks (cocktail picks) -- as an aside, it seems that our UK friends have different terms for many common crafting supplies, which often adds a level of complexity to conversations about diorama building.

So what is the 1/6th hobby for you ?  Rockthistown2b

I found this "Rock and Roll Girl" interesting to put together because of the age range of items I used. The body, again, is current TBLeague (S41), the head sculpt (which doesn't color-match well) is from YMToys, but the jacket is from a playline Mattel doll line from three or four years ago, since discontinued, and the dress and stockings are from a short-lived Hasbro line from 1988-1990 called Maxie. There's over thirty-five years of stuff in this "kitbash," but the helmet on the Explorer Guy dates back to the 1970s, so some of his kit is older than many of the OSF forum members.

Howzzat for TMI? Razz

ZeroDelta

ZeroDelta
So, do you want to know how random my take on the hobby can be? Some folks on YouTube made a Indiana Jones/Lara Croft/Nathan Drake crossover and that made me buy a Nathan Drake figure, now I just need a Lara Croft and I have all three figures and can do my own adventures. Razz

davidd

davidd
ZeroDelta wrote:So, do you want to know how random my take on the hobby can be?

I know you can be very random! Razz Like earlier today when you mentioned online that you'd like to have a Vincent Price figure, "because Vincent Price should show up once in a while." That was my laugh of the day! I'm still chuckling about that! That was great... and now you have me looking at Vincent Price figures online. Embarassed

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
davidd wrote:
ZeroDelta wrote:So, do you want to know how random my take on the hobby can be?

I know you can be very random! Razz  Like earlier today when you mentioned online that you'd like to have a Vincent Price figure, "because Vincent Price should show up once in a while." That was my laugh of the day! I'm still chuckling about that! That was great... and now you have me looking at Vincent Price figures online. Embarassed

That's hilarious, I love it. And yes, yes he should.  So what is the 1/6th hobby for you ?  1f605

BAMComix

BAMComix
Like you Chip I started my journey about fifteen years ago now?, when I discovered in a box in the loft, the toy I had as a kid, my Action Man and like so many others, I figured I'd just fix him up. I bounced from forum to forum trying to find a place I liked. Then I discovered female figures, the CY Girls. This in turn lead me to jointed male figures.
Even way back as a kid, giving my AM his own look, kit-bashing I guess was something I loved doing, So the progression of making my characters using modern figs was always going to happen. I then meet MiskatonicNick, and after chatting with him very often, the ideas of stories came about, building sets and learning to pose them properly. he even encouraged me to build the Ammo Arms.
So I guess, for me the hobby is story telling and having fun, random pics. What I do now is the closest I think an adult can get to 'Playing'. I have also made some amazing friends in our hobby and I love bouncing ideas for theirs, and my own creations.

PickleMunkey

PickleMunkey
I've been in this hobby since I was in middle school/junior high (so around 20 years now I think) and it's definitely changed a lot since.

I think one of the reasons we don't see as much kitbashing and creating is the lack of availability. Back in the day we had Dragon, 21st Century, and others, covering a number of subjects and eras, and not to mention offering accessory kits.

Now with having lost a lot of those scale staples, we're seeing a scarcity of certain eras and kits, and a premium price for what we do get.

Over time I've narrowed and shifted my focus a bit, and my areas of focus haven't seen a lot of representation as of late (Nam, Commonwealth/Canadian WWII, and Vietnam), heck, the latest 'Nam GI type figure, to my knowledge, was Dam's M60 gunner in 2018.

On the plus side, I guess, this has led me to being more thrifty and try more scratch building and detail work.

I've established quite a stockpile of stuff I've got to photograph, and have been trying a lot of new techniques, and now with a handy soft box I can show off the detail of figures I put effort into before getting them outside for photos.

So what is the 1/6th hobby for you ?  53134012942_d680f11c8b_b
So what is the 1/6th hobby for you ?  53134611896_6f28beeb48_b

Above is a basic Enfield from Dragon that I just finished the other day.

So what is the 1/6th hobby for you ?  53116078188_0426b573ee_b

And here's an FJ Sniper using DML's Wiley head sculpt, which I painted. Also I redid the helmet and made the liner and straps.

Illusion

Illusion
Interesting point in time to ask this question as I feel I am somewhat t a turning point in this hobby. I have always bought quite a lot and have had several preorders pending. But I had been used to selling often too. That changed.

I started with collecting fashion dolls in 2010 and redressing them with off the shelf stuff was all at that time. Trying to take some nice pics once in a while. Picture quality did improve somewhat over the years. With these Integrity Toys ladies the issue was: you had to preorder whatever you could get your hands on - and decide later which you really wanted to keep. You could always sell almost anything without a loss - or with moderate to high gains. A really exhausting principle that I did not appreciate but I liked the dolls. So I got used to selling. In 2021 I greatly reduced my investment (both money, time and nerves) in IT dolls and only got very few after their release. Prices have skyrocketed since 2010 - even ebay prices for older dolls in spite of those prices not being paid very often these days. But people are used to scalping in this segment and they do not easily give it up. However, I don't buy then.

When I started action figures in 2016 - first with Hot Toys Marvel - I had been aware that it would be different with these (I have never had the impression that scalping was a big thing in this hobby - certainly not as big as with my fashion ladies. Showing off, yes - only buying for the sake of competeness... etc.). I accepted that most of them would only sell at a loss, which helped in taking more profound decisions which to buy, but they were also much easier accessible than those darn Integrity dolls, esp. after their release. Of course there are some rare figures that are more epensive on second market but they are few compared to the fashion doll section and I can live without them. There is soooooo much choice.Overall it was a bit more relaxed approach to collecting.

The action figures could not be redressed but they could stand on their own. Better for taking pics and making small stories. I have never had a clear thematic focus (I can totally relate to this "Vincent Price story" LOL) - and still do not have one. But it is mainly fantasy related. Interest in Marvel faded after a while and I diversified into all kinds of things... (even some military figs because of accessories and nice heads).  I did sell some figures over time but not on a scale comparable to the fashion dolls.

In 2018 I finally started to kitbash/customise myself - after having seen soooo many inspirations and so much creativity. There is still such a lot that I would like to do and try but I fail to get going with it (esp. diorama stuff such as walls, floors, rooms). The main theme of my creations is "glitter and somewhat chic". So far I have only done female customs with beads involved most of the time, such as the latest, my "Lady Bird".
So what is the 1/6th hobby for you ?  52840197963_1159557d36_zLevina, Lady of the Skies by D B, auf Flickr

Right now I feel like I have "enough" figures and dolls and tons of accessories (that I cannot even remember and locate when they would be useful) and don't have room for any more, neither on the shelves nor in my heart, neither do I have the time to spend with so many. (I debox EVERYTHING and all of them need to have a place on the shelves.) I cannot pick any to sell anymore because I love them all - so I should not pick any to add. I won't say I will not buy any more but I am conviced that it will be very few/very selective. I try to keep reminding myself of my many project ideas and that I should rather attack those (with the "ingredients" being already mostly around) than browsing new releases or shop pages.

A friend of mine buys only to display. She puts them on the shelves and that's it. She does not even change the poses and could collect statues as far as I'am concerned... but it's her decision. Whatever she feels happy with. I wouldn't. I need to grab them and do SOMETHING with them once in a while...

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
PickleMunkey, your work is always stunning!

It seems like there is a bit of a difference in the approach to the hobby for people who focus mainly on military /military history figures as compared to those who focus more on pop culture or fictional-media based figures. The overall prices of figures and the availability of parts and accessories isn't always the same, for one

And Illusion -- thanks for sharing your perspective! I'm always interested in how the 1/6 compares to the doll world. I have dabbled in dolls but not to the extent of what you're talking about. The high prices definitely put me off, especially when I think about what I could get in the action world with that same amount instead. Razz

I understand running out of space as well, I'm low on it myself. I've already sold off too many things and regret some of it (sold one too many Mr. Z horses last year when i was in dire need). I still don't have much space for dedicated dioramas, but working on it.

I really love your creations, so selfishly I'm glad to hear you might be focusing on more of those... :')

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
My 2 cents:
In the first posts it's mentioned that a lot of people seem to be collectors. I agree, mostly because I noticed that there are a lot of new product threads, and that those seem to be better viewed and more commented on.  I think they often get about a 100 views per post, but often more posts than photothreads, which usually get around 10-20 views per post, meaning there's not a lot of people actually reading them.

That was the first cent  Very Happy

Second cent is what the hobby is to me. I only stumbled into it, because I once (I think in 2013) saw some pics of the (then new) Phicen bodies, and was so much attracted to one of them that I bought one. Then I wondered "what should I do with it (/her)," made some pics of her at home, and then a few weeks later when I went on holiday I took her with me and made more pics of her. (It should be obvious what I talk about, and most already know it anyway, if not, click the link in my sig).

A few months later I got another one, but didn't really like that one much and eventually gave her away to an (online) friend who about the same time as me got the same Phicen. He started collecting them heavily and I thought she was more appreciated by him.

Only much later (early 2020) I bought a second one, mostly because Lexi's body was getting worn and I was looking for something to eventually replace her. Since then I bought a few more, but in fairness, I still like Lexi best (the headsculpt is IMO the best Phicen ever made, but I may be prejudiced).

I also got a number of Girls and Panzer figures, because I really love that anime, and some other Figma's, because they're fun figures.

I usually take Lexi with me on vacation and try to make some pics then. During Corona I had a sabbatical, so a lot of time and I took a (censored) of pictures then (I think about 6,000 in four months), which was fun, and I might do it again, but this is just a secondary/teriary hobby to me.

So long story short I'm a moderate collector (don't want to spend much money on it) and occasional photographer (and the odd one on the forum). This forum has a bad influence on me, because now I keep track on what's released (I didn't before), and often think "ooh, that's nice," hardly ever liking it enough to pre-order it, and by the time it gets released I often release I don't really need it.

Although I do have a habit to order clothes for my figures, several outfits I've never even used on them (or have used, but didn't photograph them with it). So yeah, that's kinda pointless.

davidd wrote:
Then, after nearly all my old toys were gone, I continued with photography as a hobby; at some point I started noticing some fun toy photos on Flickr, similar to the simple scenes I had set up for my eBay photos. Some online friends began posting photos of a line of small Japanese figures, which led to my purchasing a few. "I just need two or three to use for photos," I told myself.

Pinky Street Figure Photo - June 2005

My first purchase of my "toy photography hobby" arrived in June 2005. I happened to be fixing a leaking sink faucet that day, hence the subject of my "First Toy Photo of My Modern Era."  Rolling Eyes

These look like funfigures! Very suitable to the text in your avatar.

Ovy

Ovy
So what is the 1/6th hobby for you ?
Pain and passion.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Like so many others, I find it to be a combination of sets and parted-out bits and pieces for kitbashing. And the latter can be both specific and incidental, seeing how things fit together (or even whether they fit together). With the escalation of prices and increasingly less space, I find I'm more prone to look for parted-out items than entire sets. My collection tends to be mostly boxed up, with recent acquisitions still out for reviews or photos or kitbashing; definitely not a shelf collector here.

ukshaun

ukshaun
I like the hobby of 1/6th scale figures (i also own some 1/6, 1/4, 1/3 scale statues) as i like movies and find it fun to own 1/6th scale miniature versions of movie actors / actresses including characters we do not get to see the faces of, Stormtroopers being a prime example. My Stormtrooper collection amounts to 1x figure.

Without ever being an intention from the outset, i came up with a rule (which has been broken on a number of occasions) that once i had an actor / actress in the collection i would not purchase another figure based on the same actor / actress.
Margot Robbie, Robbie Downey Jr. and Scarlett Johansson caused me to break that rule on a few occasions.

The kit-bash side of 1/6th figures is something i have dabbled in. It started during the Covid lockdown and gave me something to focus on, think about, and stop me from loosing my mind.
It all started with wanting to create a 1/6th scale figure based on a movie character that i figured would never happen bt the likes of Hot Toys, Sideshow Collectibles etc.
The character in question was: Asami Yamazaki (Eihi Shiina) from the movie Audition (1991)
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2844-project-asami-yamazaki-from-audition

Asami Yamazaki was followed by:
Nurse Alex Price (Jenny Agutter) from An American Werewolf In London (1981)
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3314-project-nurse-alex-price-from-an-american-werewolf-in-london

Mathilda (Natalie Portman) from Leon: The Professional (1994)
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t5287-leon-the-professional-and-mathilda

The Female (Scarlett Johansson) from Under The Skin (2013)
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t6637-project-inspired-by-the-female-from-the-movie-under-the-skin-2013

With the many left over components from the projects above combined with some new components,
characters from my own imagination made it to kit-bash reality. Those included:

Arctic Gun Girl
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t6422-project-arctic-gun-girl#91078

Skater Girl
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t6569-project-normal-girl-skater-girl

Hit Girls (Original Title: Project - Leftovers)
https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t6582-project-leftovers?highlight=leftovers

So what is the 1/6th hobby for you ?  Dsc00213
LOADING: Image(s)

For the pistol pointing pose, i was inspired by hitmen Vincent Vega and Jules Winnfield from Pulp Fiction (1994)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmPNvCoky6KhyaPUd25EHgw/videos?

25So what is the 1/6th hobby for you ?  Empty Re: So what is the 1/6th hobby for you ? Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:45 am

Illusion

Illusion
skywalkersaga wrote:

And Illusion -.....

I really love your creations, so selfishly I'm glad to hear you might be focusing on more of those... :')

Thanks so much for your kind words. Really appreciate them and hope to deliver again sometime Wink

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum