OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 8]

Stryker2011

Founding Father
Really nice job on the straps. I applaud your attention to detail.

ukshaun

Stryker2011 wrote:Really nice job on the straps. I applaud your attention to detail.

Thanks.
At first i thought this part would throw a spanner in the works.
Finding those snap clips made all the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmPNvCoky6KhyaPUd25EHgw/videos?

ukshaun

(cont.)

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 3 XXXXXX-Drawing-02-half-size
Sketch

Just found this from a couple of weeks ago.
It was created to help with the handle design, arm straps.
Also, it served as a reminder to piece the left ear of the portrait twice.
So far i have failed to work out if it is a small diamond stud or metal stud in the ear?

ukshaun

(cont.)

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 3 XXXXXX-black-arm-made-from-12mm-strink-wrap
Materials - 12mm Black Shrink Wrap Tube

The 12mm black shrink wrap tube arrived today.

Good news: 12mm is perfect
Bad news: the tube is not soft enough

..back to the drawing board.

I started to think the best route might be to return to the cutting up of black rubber gloves and gluing them rather than stitching them, to form a tube.
The black rubber used on gloves is almost perfect. It would be better if I could find a sheet of the same type of rubber.

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 3 XXXXXX-black-arm-made-from-balloons
Materials - Black Rubber Balloons

These would have been perfect, if only they were wider.

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 3 XXXXXX-black-arm-made-from-gloves
Materials - Black Tube made from Rubber Gloves

This idea almost worked. The stitching creates a awkward line along one edge.
I tried stitching, as i figured gluing would be too difficult.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
ukshaun wrote:Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 3 XXXXXX-Audition
Audition (1999)

I figured Asami Yamazaki from the 1999 movie Audition was never in the same league as Freddie, Jason, when it comes to popularity, thus would never be made by the likes of Sideshow, Hot Toys etc.

During the COVID-19 lockdown, I gave the idea some thought, and set about creating a 1/6th scale figure inspired by Asami Yamazaki.

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 3 XXXXXX-Fan-Art
Audition - Asami Yamazaki - Fan Art

Asami Yamazaki is slowly coming together. But what I thought would be quite straight forward has proved difficult. The original plan was to assemble the figure using various off the shelf components.  Time and time again, quite what I wanted, did not appear to be available? Needless to say, my Asami Yamazaki is never going to match the might of a Hot Toys product.

Another thing, I found many of the items I wanted to be located in China. For some reason, shipping from China takes ages?!

The first item I ordered (which I am still waiting to arrive) is an Asian portrait.
I searched and searched and searched, and it was difficult to find what I wanted.
#compromise became a key word.

Key features included:
Long black straight hair (that could be cut to correct length)
Non smiling mouth.
Asian style eye’s.

Many of the portraits I found featured smiling faces. The eye’s failed to look Asian. The nose looked too pointy.

I found an Asian portrait by Kumik. Using Photoshop I re_imagined the portrait with lips repainted a different colour and made slightly wider. Nose spot added. Slight darkening under the eye’s. The Kumik portrait has a lot of black eyeliner. That might need toning down.

Coming from China, will I receive what is in the photo? ..or a low quality fake. Time will tell.

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 3 XXXXXX-Kumik-Photoshop-Mock-up
Asami Yamazaki (left) Kumik Asian Headsculpt (centre) Photoshop Mock-up (right)

I guess further down the line, it might be possible to obtain a custom head sculpt. The Kumik solution will do for now.

i bought the same Kumik head and have to warn you that I was very disappointed in the quality. First off, what passed for a neck joint was just a ball of some hardened putty with a hole drilled in it. Not only was the hole off center, it didn't go in deep enough to allow the head to be pushed down all the way on the TBLeague steel head peg. To boot, the TBLeague figure was one of the smaller S24's with a shorter and narrower peg. I had to take a power drill to drill down into the putty just to be able to get the head on the body. It would have looked nice with that smaller body, had I not discovered that just handling it wore the paint off many of the edges...nose, brows, ears.

So my suggestion to you is that if you get this head, be prepared to do a bit of work to fit it on whatever body you place it on and be prepared to completely repaint it then coat it with a finish that won't wear off. Like I said, it l seemed to look right on the smaller TBLeague pale bodies, but that's subjective. It might also look right on a larger one. I personally, would look for another head sculpt if I were doing the same project.

ukshaun

ukshaun
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:i bought the same Kumik head and have to warn you that I was very disappointed in the quality.  First off, what passed for a neck joint was just a ball of some hardened putty with a hole drilled in it.  Not only was the hole off center, it didn't go in deep enough to allow the head to be pushed down all the way on the TBLeague steel head peg. To boot, the TBLeague figure was one of the smaller S24's with a shorter and narrower peg.  I had to take a power drill to drill down into the putty just to be able to get the head on the body.  It would have looked nice with that smaller body, had I not discovered that just handling it wore the paint off many of the edges...nose, brows, ears.

So my suggestion to you is that if you get this head, be prepared to do a bit of work to fit it on whatever body you place it on and be prepared to completely repaint it then coat it with a finish that won't wear off.  Like I said, it l seemed to look right on the smaller TBLeague pale bodies, but that's subjective.  It might also look right on a larger one.  I personally, would look for another head sculpt if I were doing the same project.  

Can you post an image of the one you have.
I thought Kumik were supposed to ok / good quality given the price.
Until mine arrives, i do not know if it will a the same as the head pictured, as the Chinese have a habit of copying products.

What other makes of head do you recommend?

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
ukshaun wrote:Can you post an image of the one you have.
I thought Kumik were supposed to ok / good quality given the price.
Until mine arrives, i do not know if it will a the same as the head pictured, as the Chinese have a habit of copying products.

What other makes of head do you recommend?

I have to check to see if I still have the Kumik one. It could be that mine was a cheap knock-off, though it came in a Kumik box and others had warned me about the paint wearing off, so I was not alone in finding this.  In the meantime, perhaps you should consider this one from YM Toys, which I find are good quality.  You would have to cut the hair to length however

https://giantoy.com/products/pre-order-ymtoys-1-6-scale-female-head-sculpt-ymt019-jing-h-suntan

I don't know if you already have the body yet, but this one is a Suntan, and darker than the Kumik that I received, which was a bit on the orange side, but closer to the Phicen pale than to suntan.

ukshaun

ukshaun
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:I have to check to see if I still have the Kumik one. It could be that mine was a cheap knock-off, though it came in a Kumik box and others had warned me about the paint wearing off, so I was not alone in finding this.  In the meantime, perhaps you should consider this one from YM Toys, which I find are good quality.  You would have to cut the hair to length however

(link removed)

I don't know if you already have the body yet, but this one is a Suntan, and darker than the Kumik that I received, which was a bit on the orange side, but closer to the Phicen pale than to suntan.

Thanks.
I might give that one a try if the one i have on order turns out to be garbage.

I have the body already: PLMB2016-S17B
(suntan, medium breast size, slender, visible ankle joints.)

It would be amazing to get a custom head sculpt made. I can dream Very Happy

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Nice suggestion about the YMToys sculpt. It's definitely a good idea to have a list of 'back up' heads in mind when it comes to projects -- there's nothing like the disappointment and frustration of pinning all your hopes on one particular head, only to find that it doesn't work ... No

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

ukshaun

ukshaun
I found someone who does 1/6 head sculpts, and asked what the price would be for the character in question.
They came back with: 1200 USD

Slightly out of my price range Smile

I wonder how much K.A.Kim charges? double?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
ukshaun wrote:I found someone who does 1/6 head sculpts, and asked what the price would be for the character in question.

Kim probably wouldn’t do a one-off, and if she did my guess would be double. I’ve paid over $500 USD for one-offs — expensive, but I’m desperate for stuff that isn’t being done — plus, it usually takes a LONG time, as the sculptors have other (larger and better paying) sculpt jobs that get priority.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 3 C8485110

ukshaun

ukshaun
Stryker2011 wrote:
ukshaun wrote:I found someone who does 1/6 head sculpts, and asked what the price would be for the character in question.

Kim probably wouldn’t do a one-off, and if she did my guess would be double. I’ve paid over $500 USD for one-offs — expensive, but I’m desperate for stuff that isn’t being done — plus, it usually takes a LONG time, as the sculptors have other (larger and better paying) sculpt jobs that get priority.

$500 ..Ouch!
Was it worth it?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
ukshaun wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:

$500 ..Ouch!
Was it worth it?

It is to me. Opinions may vary, of course:

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2380-logan-s-run-logan-5-jessica-6-sneak-peak?highlight=Logan

ukshaun

ukshaun
Stryker2011 wrote:
ukshaun wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:

$500 ..Ouch!
Was it worth it?

It is to me. Opinions may vary, of course:

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2380-logan-s-run-logan-5-jessica-6-sneak-peak?highlight=Logan

Both sculpts look good.
Did the price include painting?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
No. The paint job for Logan was another $75 + shipping to and from Ukraine.

ukshaun

ukshaun
Stryker2011 wrote:No. The paint job for Logan was another $75 + shipping to and from Ukraine.

ok.

I thought i read (after i had posted)
I had the head painted by Den Kazakov (formerly of Kazakhstan, recently moved to the US)

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
ukshaun wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:No. The paint job for Logan was another $75 + shipping to and from Ukraine.

ok.

I thought i read (after i had posted)
I had the head painted by Den Kazakov (formerly of Kazakhstan, recently moved to the US)

Yeah, you’re right (not the Ukraine). I haven’t heard from him since after he moved to the US, and at that time he wasn’t taking anymore commissions. I’ll have to reach out to him again (see if he’s okay, and if he’s ready to do more work).

ukshaun

ukshaun
Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 3 XXXXXX-Audition-Ear-Ring
Audtion - Asami Yamazaki - Ear-Ring

Metal stud or Diamond?
It is difficult to tell.

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 3 XXXXXX-Micro-Dots-mm
Micro Dot Rivet Nail Art Decoration

One packet of Micro Dot's arrived today. They took 4 weeks to arrive (from China).
They are tiny! ..possibly too tiny. I was worried they might be too big.
Since there is no size mentioned on the packet, i am assuming these are the 0.8mm Micro Dots
Hopefully the 1.00mm Micro Dots will arrive over the coming days.

The Dots are too small to use on the black rubber Apron.
One of the dots might be ideal for an Ear Ring

The Dots are hollow - ideal for gluing over cotton knots if need be.
They are chrome, shiny.
They not appear to be interest in a magnet. I guess they are made from plastic.
Quite how they managed to manufacture something so small is mystery.
Looking closely, some dots look more perfect that other dots.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
The earring could even be a tiny pearl, but as you say — very hard to tell. One of those micro dots should work, though, since at normal viewing distance, it’ll be impossible to tell what it is at this scale.

ukshaun

ukshaun
Stryker2011 wrote:The earring could even be a tiny pearl, but as you say — very hard to tell. One of those micro dots should work, though, since at normal viewing distance, it’ll be impossible to tell what it is at this scale.

So long as it is small, round. and shiny, it should do the trick.

ukshaun

ukshaun
Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 3 XXXXXX-Audition-Waist-Straps
Audition - Asami Yamazaki - Waist Straps

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 3 XXXXXX-Waist-Straps-Apron-Studds-Added
Audition - Asami Yamazaki - Waist Straps and Apron with added studs

The Studs (1mm Micro Dot Rivet Nail Art Decoration) arrived at longlast, taking more than a month.
8 Studs have been added to the black rubber apron.
9 Studs have been added to the waist strap contraption.

1mm studs look ok. 1.2mm studs would have been better. I doubt 1.2mm exists.
The studs turned to prove hyper-fiddly to attach. Drop one, and you are guaranteed it will land top side down.
Holding the 1mm studs using tweezers turned out to be difficult.

Good news - i received an email yesterday (Saturday) and my Kumik Asian Headsculpt has arrived into the country.
The wait should not be too long, while it is processed through customs. It might arrive this week, or it might arrive in 3 weeks?

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 3 XXXXXX-Kumik-Photoshop-Mock-up
Asami Yamazaki (left) Kumik Asian Headsculpt (centre) Photoshop Mock-up (right)

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
This is coming along nicely. The studs and straps look really good. — I don’t know if I’d have the patience for dealing with those tiny studs.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
You're certainly putting an impressive amount of detail in this!

The size of the studs look fine to me, from a realism perspective. Trying to get things to be 100% screen-accurate is often just not possible, and I wouldn't stress too much over that particular aspect. The studs give the impression of the film outfit and definitely add a really nice touch. In other words, looks great. Smile 

Btw, I had been looking for studs like this for a long time now, and I had forgotten about the nail art, so I really appreciate you mentioning what you used for those. I've ordered some myself in both sizes ....hope I can actually manage to use them and not drop them everywhere. Laughing

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

ukshaun

ukshaun
skywalkersaga wrote:You're certainly putting an impressive amount of detail in this!

The size of the studs look fine to me, from a realism perspective. Trying to get things to be 100% screen-accurate is often just not possible, and I wouldn't stress too much over that particular aspect. The studs give the impression of the film outfit and definitely add a really nice touch. In other words, looks great. Smile 

Btw, I had been looking for studs like this for a long time now, and I had forgotten about the nail art, so I really appreciate you mentioning what you used for those. I've ordered some myself in both sizes ....hope I can actually manage to use them and not drop them everywhere. Laughing

Thanks.

I would not bother with the 0.8mm nail art studs. They are so small it is like attempting to work with grains of sand.
The 1mm nail art studs  are usefull. I noticed in a bag of 1mm nail art studs, some are good, so are deformed, some are thicker than others. It is simply a case of digging out the useful studs.

Stryker2011 wrote:This is coming along nicely. The studs and straps look really good. — I don’t know if I’d have the patience for dealing with those tiny studs.

I had to add them. So i had to get on with the task Smile
I still need to find the patience to add some to the arm straps.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Great work on those straps and studs. Your patience and effort are paying off.

About the head -- looking at the screen image and your head sculpt images, I'd say something that might improve the resemblance would be to paint over/away much of the eye make up (from the outside inwards).

ukshaun

ukshaun
GubernatorFan wrote:Great work on those straps and studs. Your patience and effort are paying off.

About the head -- looking at the screen image and your head sculpt images, I'd say something that might improve the resemblance would be to paint over/away much of the eye make up (from the outside inwards).

I was thinking that. Given my painting skills, it will be a miracle to be able to get the skin tone the same.
I will give it a go. The KUMIK head sculpt might end up simply being a stand in, as it would be amazing to obtain a custom sculpt. I'll have to wait and see, until the COVID-19 situation has blown over.

ukshaun

ukshaun
Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 3 XXXXXX-Hands
1/6th Scale Black Gloved Hands

Received an email today: The hands have shipped Smile
They were not originally going to ship between July - September.
The hands could be here next week or in 6 weeks, such is the China shipping situation at the moment.

Ephiane

Ephiane
fantastic job at all the details. Can´t wait to see the figure finished. I love the drawing You made.

ukshaun

ukshaun
Ephiane wrote:fantastic job at all the details. Can´t wait to see the figure finished. I love the drawing You made.

Thanks. Me neither.
Not the best drawings in the world. They help'ed in reminding me what was happening with the outfit.

I'm still stuck as to what to use to cover the arms/extend the gloves. If i cannot get rubber to work, then black silk might offer a solution.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum