OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 8]

ukshaun

GubernatorFan wrote:Great work on those straps and studs. Your patience and effort are paying off.

About the head -- looking at the screen image and your head sculpt images, I'd say something that might improve the resemblance would be to paint over/away much of the eye make up (from the outside inwards).

I was thinking that. Given my painting skills, it will be a miracle to be able to get the skin tone the same.
I will give it a go. The KUMIK head sculpt might end up simply being a stand in, as it would be amazing to obtain a custom sculpt. I'll have to wait and see, until the COVID-19 situation has blown over.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmPNvCoky6KhyaPUd25EHgw/videos?

ukshaun

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 4 XXXXXX-Hands
1/6th Scale Black Gloved Hands

Received an email today: The hands have shipped Smile
They were not originally going to ship between July - September.
The hands could be here next week or in 6 weeks, such is the China shipping situation at the moment.

Ephiane

fantastic job at all the details. Can´t wait to see the figure finished. I love the drawing You made.

ukshaun

Ephiane wrote:fantastic job at all the details. Can´t wait to see the figure finished. I love the drawing You made.

Thanks. Me neither.
Not the best drawings in the world. They help'ed in reminding me what was happening with the outfit.

I'm still stuck as to what to use to cover the arms/extend the gloves. If i cannot get rubber to work, then black silk might offer a solution.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I made this custom/kitbash Vampirella years ago using that very thin Vinyl material I recommended before. You can get it in a variety of colors (and, of course, black):

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 4 Im7apa10

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 4 C8485110

ukshaun

ukshaun
Stryker2011 wrote:I made this custom/kitbash Vampirella years ago using that very thin Vinyl material I recommended before. You can get it in a variety of colors (and, of course, black):

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 4 Im7apa10

The issue is with making a tube. I guess it could work.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yeah, sewing this stuff can be a pain. I made multiple errors making that thing fit just right (and it still isn’t perfect. I ultimately gave up sewing it, and just used fabric glue in the back.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
ukshaun wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:I made this custom/kitbash Vampirella years ago using that very thin Vinyl material I recommended before. You can get it in a variety of colors (and, of course, black):

Is it not possible to glue it? If you are worried about a 'seam', then I suppose that is probably unavoidable when making something like this from scratch. Only thing that would make it 'seamless' is if you found a tube that was the right width already for her forearms and wrist, which is what I presume you are trying to do with the tubing you were referring to. Otherwise you'd have to take it in anyway, somehow. And even so, there will still be a 'seam' [however subtle] between the glove-hands  and the forearm section. My point being that however much attention to detail is admirable, sometimes compromises have to be made...

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

ukshaun

ukshaun
Stryker2011 wrote:Yeah, sewing this stuff can be a pain. I made multiple errors making that thing fit just right (and it still isn’t perfect. I ultimately gave up sewing it, and just used fabric glue in the back.

I can imagine. What you managed to do looks very neat.

skywalkersaga wrote:
ukshaun wrote:

Is it not possible to glue it? If you are worried about a 'seam', then I suppose that is probably unavoidable when making something like this from scratch. Only thing that would make it 'seamless' is if you found a tube that was the right width already for her forearms and wrist, which is what I presume ou are trying to do with the tubing you were referring to. Otherwise you'd have to take it in anyway, somehow. And even so, there will still be a 'seam' [however subtle' between the glove hands the forearm section. My point being that however much attention to detail is admirable, sometimes compromises have to be made...

The bottom line just might be to use long black fabric arm sleeves.
Looking on ebay, such items looks not so well made given the price.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
TheDaughterWhoSews does a pretty good job at this scale for stuff like that. I have several of her stockings, and I’m pretty sure I bought a pair of over-the-elbow sleeves from her.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Can second that recommendation!

ukshaun

ukshaun
Stryker2011 wrote:TheDaughterWhoSews does a pretty good job at this scale for stuff like that. I have several of her stockings, and I’m pretty sure I bought a pair of over-the-elbow sleeves from her.

Thanks.
I just Goggle'd TheDaughterWhoSews on Facebook. The stockings look very professional.

ukshaun

ukshaun
Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 4 XXXXXX-Audition-Arm-Straps
Audition - Asami Yamazaki - Arm Straps

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 4 XXXXXX-Arm-Straps-x4-with-Rivets
4x Tan Leather Arm Straps with 1mm Rivets

Completed one small task. Adding the rivets to the 4 arm straps.
I happy i do not have to use any more rivets, bar the one for the ear (once the portrait arrives).

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Nice job.

ukshaun

ukshaun
Stryker2011 wrote:Nice job.

I have learnt a simple way of dealing with the studs when it involves more than one stud, a row of 2 or 3 next to one another.

What i do is, line up the studs up on the cutting mat, nudging them into line using tweezers. Once i am happy with how straight the line is, place a thin strip on sticky tape onto them. I can then handle the tape, and apply some super glue to each stud using a tooth-pick. Once the glue has been added, it is easy to apply the studs to the correct location and pull of the sticky tape.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
ukshaun wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:Nice job.

I have learnt a simple way of dealing with the studs when it involves more than one stud, a row of 2 or 3 next to one another.

What i do is, line up the studs up on the cutting mat, nudging them into line using tweezers. Once i am happy with how straight the line is, place a thin strip on sticky tape onto them. I can then handle the tape, and apply some super glue to each stud using a tooth-pick. Once the glue has been added, it is easy to apply the studs to the correct location and pull of the sticky tape.

Nice simple solution. Good technique.

ukshaun

ukshaun
Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 4 XXXXXX-Black-Arm-Sleeves
1/6th Scale Black Arm Sleeves

I decided to pick some a pair of these up. They are not rubber, pvc or latex. Atleast they are black.
If in the future, i spot something fitting, i can always switch them out.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Good idea. Sometimes it's nice to just have a temporary stand-in until you find something more ideal. Smile

ukshaun

ukshaun
skywalkersaga wrote:Good idea. Sometimes it's nice to just have a temporary stand-in until you find something more ideal. Smile

It is.
To be fair, every aspect is more 'inspired by' than 100% (Hot Toys) perfect Very Happy

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
ukshaun wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote:Good idea. Sometimes it's nice to just have a temporary stand-in until you find something more ideal. Smile

It is.
To be fair, every aspect is more 'inspired by' than 100% (Hot Toys) perfect Very Happy

Indeed. We have to have realistic expectations of ourselves, even as we continually strive to improve. You are doing wonderfully so far. Smile

ukshaun

ukshaun
skywalkersaga wrote:
ukshaun wrote:

It is.

Indeed. We have to have realistic expectations of ourselves, even as we continually strive to improve. You are doing wonderfully so far. Smile

Thanks.. Smile

Guess what arrived about 10 minutes ago?
The KUMiK head sculpt Smile

It looks rather good. Better than i was expecting. It appears to be genuine enough, in a KUMiK bag, in black sponge in a yellow KUMiK box. The straight hair is slightly wavey. I think some hair wax might fix it.

Given my limited painting skills, the plan is to do as little as possible. I will make an effort to paint the black eye linner out, and dull down the red lips. Every thing else looks good. I doubt i'll bother now going to the expense of a custom sculpt, as the KUMiK sculpt fits the bill Smile

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Glad it works for you! Smile And if it has any trouble fitting onto the tbleague neck peg, there are ways to work around that.

ukshaun

ukshaun
skywalkersaga wrote:Glad it works for you! Smile And if it has any trouble fitting onto the tbleague neck peg, there are ways to work around that.

There is one area that looks dodgy, and that's the rear/side neck. I guess it's normal for a KUMiK head sculpt to have a separate rear neck piece that fails to join properly at the sides. The hair covers most of it. It's not quite Hot Toys standard, but i guess the price reflects this Smile

ukshaun

ukshaun
Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 4 XXXXXX-Kumik-Sellers-Image-left
Kumik Asian Headsculpt - Sellers Image (left)
Kumik Asian Headsculpt - What arrived in the post (right)

The KUMiK head sculpt arrived today. As you can see, from this slightly blurry photo's, it looks almost the same as the seller's photo, which was a relief.
The hair is more curly than i expected/wanted it to be.
Also the parting is in the middle. The seller's image show the parting to be more to the side.

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 4 XXXXXX-Kumik-Re-Painted
Kumik Asian Headsculpt - Additional work complete

Not being a painter, it made sense to keep the painting to a minimum.

The black eye-liner has been painted over in an attempt to match the skin-tone.
This turned out ok, and really helps the with the 'look' i was aiming for.

Red lips are now wider and less red. They look more natural, serious. A hint of a smile remains without them looks lip a pin-up. The plan was to make them slightly lighter, but my paint appeared to react/mix with the red that was already there, causing my paint to turn darker. I like the shade thy are now.

Brown facial spot has been added to the right side of the nose.

Silver ear stud has been added to the left ear. I found a use for the 0.8mm Micro Dot Rivet Nail Art Decoration.

Using actual hair control cream, the process of straightening the hair has began. It's a bit of a nightmare. Once the hair is straight enough, it can be cut to the correct length. Not a task i am looking forward to.

The eyebrowse were left alone, as i did not have the nerve balls those up.

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 4 XXXXXX-4
Audition - Asami Yamazaki

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
ukshaun wrote:Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 4 XXXXXX-Kumik-Sellers-Image-left
Kumik Asian Headsculpt - Sellers Image (left)
Kumik Asian Headsculpt - What arrived in the post (right)

The KUMiK head sculpt arrived today. As you can see, from this slightly blurry photo's, it looks almost the same as the seller's photo, which was a relief.
The hair is more curly than i expected/wanted it to be.

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 4 XXXXXX-Kumik-Re-Painted
Kumik Asian Headsculpt - Additional work complete

Not being a painter, it made sense to keep the painting to a minimum.

The black eye-liner has been painted over in an attempt to match the skin-tone.
This turned out ok, and really helps the with the 'look' i was aiming for.

Red lips are now wider and less red. They look more natural, serious. A hint of a smile remains without them looks lip a pin-up. The plan was to make them slightly lighter, but my paint appeared to react/mix with the red that was already there, causing my paint to turn darker. I like the shade thy are now.

Brown facial spot has been added to the right side of the nose.

Good luck with it. I hope i works out. My suggestion is to be careful in handling it, however as the paint came off mine as a result of handling. Otherswise, it is is a pretty nice sculpt.

Silver ear stud has been added to the left ear. I found a use for the 0.8mm Micro Dot Rivet Nail Art Decoration.

Using actual hair control cream, the process of straightening the hair has began. It's a bit of a nightmare. Once the hair is straight enough, it can be cut to the correct length. Not a task i am looking forward to.

The eyebrowse were left alone, as i did not have the nerve balls those up.

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 4 XXXXXX-4
Audition - Asami Yamazaki

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That's looking great so far! Smile 

Regarding the hair... just be cautioned that synthetic hair doesn't always work or react well with hair products intended for real human hair. The only 1/6 hair I know that reacts similarly to human hair are made with natural fibers such as tibetan lamb hair  or angora mohair. You may wish to look up methods of straightening synthetic 'doll' hair... from what I recall, sometimes heat can help, though of course it depends and one has to be careful not to melt the hair.

ETA: Alternatively, you could try to replace the Kumik wig/scalp piece with one that already has straight black hair.  Kumik scalps are usually made to be interchangeable.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Looks good. And Sky’s suggestion is the way I would go. Just search for Kumik wigs on the Bay.

103Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 4 Empty Re: Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) Wed May 27, 2020 11:07 am

ukshaun

ukshaun
skywalkersaga wrote:That's looking great so far! Smile 

Regarding the hair... just be cautioned that synthetic hair doesn't always work or react well with hair products intended for real human hair. The only 1/6 hair I know that reacts similarly to human hair are made with natural fibers such as tibetan lamb hair  or angora mohair. You may wish to look up methods of straightening synthetic 'doll' hair... from what I recall, sometimes heat can help, though of course it depends and one has to be careful not to melt the hair.

ETA: Alternatively, you could try to replace the Kumik wig/scalp piece with one that already has straight black hair.  Kumik scalps are usually made to be interchangeable.

I already added the product.
I have used the same product in the past on my Hot Toys - Black Widow, and it did not appear to cause any issues? ..not yet atleast.

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 4 57
LYNX STYLING - NATURAL LOOK - FLEXIBLE CONTROL CREAM

104Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 4 Empty Re: Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) Wed May 27, 2020 11:08 am

ukshaun

ukshaun
Stryker2011 wrote:Looks good. And Sky’s suggestion is the way I would go. Just search for Kumik wigs on the Bay.

If the hair goes bad, that will be a good back-up plan.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum