OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 7]

76NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:59 am

GeeWillikers

Part 4:

42 in side-by-side comparison with Sariah body (S23 second 'bubble butt' edition) with Arhian City Of Horrors sculpt

NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 DSCN4538
NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 DSCN4533
NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 DSCN4549
NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 DSCN4542

One more thing to note is that, even steadied against the backdrop surface as it is above it's almost impossible to have the 42 stand absolutely upright without the stand, and it leans forward slightly in order to balance. So it's actually a milimetre or so taller still than it appears in these shots.

NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 DSCN4552

Although the 42 can stand up more or less independently with just a little hand from a friend [/gratuitous shot]

You've probably got the idea about the different light conditions by now, so from now on I'll just post the pink filtered shots unless anyone is especially interested in seeing the differences. I can also do shots under a pale blue filter which alters the look noticably again, but I didn't want to overload the thread with photos.

Up next, the S16 andS07 (still haven't censored those yet Laughing).

77NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:17 am

Diana

GeeWillikers wrote:In a way the drawing has actually suffered as I've got further into the hobby and I'm becoming more interested in the photography end of it, to my wife and my wallet's discomfort.
Same here! I'm having so much fun creating these characters simply by swapping heads and bodies, and then capturing them on photos that I just want to keep going! Laughing
But I'm glad I made myself sit down and draw something, cause I'm enjoying it a lot. Maybe we can start a photo-reference-sketch-battle-thread some time, and actually keep it running! Very Happy

78NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:19 am

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
She is really tall, isn't she? I suppose it is possible in fairly exceptional cases, although I suspect those would rarely have such ample curves. Anyway, nicely illustrated. By the way, I keep seeing you propping them up against the background, which is only natural, and it occurs to me that others should be warned that the oil in the silicone would leave marks on printed paper surfaces (if one is using this kind of background). Also, your fairly minimalist censoring appears to have slipped a little out of the way on the S23 in the last photo.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

79NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:22 am

GeeWillikers

Part 5:

S42 in side-by-side comparison with S09
NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 DSCN4597
NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 DSCN4588
NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 DSCN4593

It was difficult to get either figure balanced well enough on those floppy feet to stand to their full height, but the 42 is indeed noticably taller than the 09 as shown. Even though the feet on the 09 are covered we can see the improvement in the visual design and also the difference in size.

It's also interesting to note that while it still has its problems the arm-to-shoulder design has improved dramatically since the 07/09.

Next up: for some reason the pics with the S16 won't offload from camera to PC so they might need to be done again (I'll try later in the week when I've dug out the S18/19 and S32 for more shots).

80NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:26 am

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
GubernatorFan wrote:By the way, I keep seeing you propping them up against the background, which is only natural, and it occurs to me that others should be warned that the oil in the silicone would leave marks on printed paper surfaces (if one is using this kind of background).

Very true. The background I'm using here is a simple unfinished balsa wood folding backdrop, but I've noticed the bodies have marked this too, however slightly. Another drawback of their not being able to stand independently.

GubernatorFan wrote:Also, your fairly minimalist censoring appears to have slipped a little out of the way on the S23 in the last photo.

Ooops! Smile  Will amend. It's tricky, trying to show as much of the body as possible while staying within the bounds of forum decorum Smile

EDIT: Fixed (I think)

81NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:42 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I think you did. Smile

82NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:45 pm

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
You answered the two questions I had! Did she tower over the 07/09 and were the measurements comparable. I think ultimately a fair way of describing this body next to the s09 would be the "2.0 tall" version. A good half head taller for sure, and some subtle sculpt changes (shoulders look narrower, breasts are basically the same though sculpted a bit more on the chest wall and slightly wider set, less thigh gap to name the three that really stood out to me) appear to be the calling card of this body by comparison. I am still debating getting this body as none of the characters I have planned are that tall, though it is a pleasing sculpt and your photos have been excellent in showing the differences with all the bodies!

83NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:40 pm

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
The information (and the entertainment value also) conveyed in this thread has been exceptional, thanks to all.

84NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:22 pm

bunnyfreakz

bunnyfreakz
Thank you for picture. Feet is bigger than previous release, I wonder if any shoes/boots will fit .

85NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:20 am

FreakinLobster

FreakinLobster
I'm eager to see the next comparison, with the S16, since I wanted to get this body for quite a while.
I liked the proportions on the S42 a lot, but I'm waiting for a possible detachable feet version, since the boots I got for Morrigan's project aren't hollow.

86NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:03 pm

csyeung

csyeung
Thanks a lot for these excellent comparisons Geewillikers! They are super informative and helpful! I do wish they made smaller/regular sized breast versions. I am not confident to do breast reduction surgery on these. I didn't get my 1/6 surgeon's certificate!

87NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:38 pm

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
Thrilling Finale:

The S42 compared with S18 (same body as S01/02 but with detachable feet)
NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 DSCN4621
NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 DSCN4618
NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 DSCN4617

The18 looks positively freakish next to the 42. Look at those arms! In fact, the whole upper torso looks stretched.

The 42 compared to the S16:
NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 DSCN4601
NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 DSCN4603
NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 DSCN4607

The 42 compared to the S32:
NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 DSCN4614
NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 DSCN4616
NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 DSCN4611

So, the S18 and the s32 are the bodies that nearest approach the 42 in terms of height.

88NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:43 pm

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
csyeung wrote:Thanks a lot for these excellent comparisons Geewillikers! They are super informative and helpful! I do wish they made smaller/regular sized breast versions. I am not confident to do breast reduction surgery on these. I didn't get my 1/6 surgeon's certificate!

Your best bet for a smaller-busted figure is the S16-17. Still not exactly flat-chested, but the smallest TBL offer at the moment.

89NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:52 pm

csyeung

csyeung
GeeWillikers wrote:
csyeung wrote:Thanks a lot for these excellent comparisons Geewillikers! They are super informative and helpful! I do wish they made smaller/regular sized breast versions. I am not confident to do breast reduction surgery on these. I didn't get my 1/6 surgeon's certificate!

Your best bet for a smaller-busted figure is the S16-17. Still not exactly flat-chested, but the smallest TBL offer at the moment.

I agree, I think I have one 16 and one 17 and the rest have been 23's for my more superhero types. I may get a few more 17s and maybe a 25 for future figures.

90NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:00 pm

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
GeeWillikers wrote:

Honestly one of the best bodies they make IMO. The fact though that the 42 towers over it still is nothing short of impressive.

Excellent photos GeeWillikers! Very informative!

91NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:33 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga

I have a bust reduction method, however it is only useful if you plan to keep your figures permanently clothed (or at least keep the bust and upper back area completely covered). Which may not be helpful for some, but if you are making a specific character and intending to leave her that way, it's doable. Granted, I've only tried it on the smaller bodies (s25b and s27b), but it did help make the busts on those look a bit more natural.

The method simply involves using an exacto knife to cut a 'slice' out of the bottom of each breast (leaving the rest intact), and then binding the now 'reduced' area with some plastic wrap. Ideally one would use glue to keep it in place, but I have yet to find a glue that works.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

92NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:36 pm

csyeung

csyeung
skywalkersaga wrote:
I have a bust reduction method, however it is only useful if you plan to keep your figures permanently clothed (or at least keep the bust and upper back area completely covered). Which may not be helpful for some, but if you are making a specific character and intending to leave her that way, it's doable. Granted, I've only tried it on the smaller bodies (s25b and s27b), but it did help make the busts on those look a bit more natural.

The method simply involves using an exacto knife to cut a 'slice' out of the bottom of each breast (leaving the rest intact), and then binding the now 'reduced' area with some plastic wrap. Ideally one would use glue to keep it in place, but I have yet to find a glue that works.

Interesting method! I did repair a small tear once with gorilla glue and seemed to be ok, but that was a small tear. May be harder when it's to hold a piece that is always trying to spring back.

93NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:44 pm

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
skywalkersaga wrote:

I am wondering if this is something for which Sugru might be well suited https://www.amazon.com/Sugru-Mouldable-Glue-Original-Formula/dp/B01BFE0KNQ/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=sugru&qid=1606336935&sr=8-4

94NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:17 pm

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
csyeung -- lol, indeed, all the glues I had tried could not withstand the spring of the silicone. ;p

MAM - I haven't tried that one yet, will keep it in mind! : )

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

95NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:19 pm

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
MeMyself&I wrote:Excellent photos GeeWillikers! Very informative!

I just can't get over how odd the S18 (basically their oldest 'modern' steel model given a tweak) now looks when directly compared to the 42, like an alien Grey reflected in a funhouse mirror. I've never been crazy about that short neck, off-kilter navel and too-prominent groin area, but it's sobering to now realise just how distorted that torso actually is after all these years. The derriere is just about it's best feature. That design needs a total overhaul once TBL are done with their busty/curvy obsession (which may well be never).

On the other hand the 32, which I wasn't crazy about from the start and kind of forgot about, is actually not that badly-designed now I've seen it directly compared with the rest. Still not in love with those stubby arms and fat wrists, but the rest of it is quite nice actually.

96NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:52 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
GeeWillikers wrote:I just can't get over how odd the S18 (basically their oldest 'modern' steel model given a tweak) now looks when directly compared to the 42, like an alien Grey reflected in a funhouse mirror. I've never been crazy about that short neck, off-kilter navel and too-prominent groin area, but it's sobering to now realise just how distorted that torso actually is after all these years. The derriere is just about it's best feature. That design needs a total overhaul once TBL are done with their busty/curvy obsession (which may well be never).

Interesting, there seems to be a bit of a pattern -- or at the very least they have done this elsewhere, too. I'm thinking about their M31 body, which is in many ways a darker-skinned version of M30, slightly un-muscled but basically stretched out to make it taller and slimmer. The result is neither attractive nor realistic (which is what they claimed they were going for), although, in a strange parallel to what you just described, its "derriere is just about its best feature." Smile Of course there are other reasons to dislike M31 (others have said I loathe it with a passion which is a slight exaggeration), like the spaghetti elbow (at least one of them), the anatomical incompleteness, and above everything else the faulty (especially left) wrist peg clamp (at least in my experience, this may have been corrected in later batches). Its one and only redeeming feature in my book is that it is their easiest male body to clothe (and as I was just clothing it the other day, the damned wrist peg came out with a hand and was a hellish pain to reattach).

Here was my review: http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-062916b.htm

97NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:51 pm

gooboo

Most people reading this thread have probably seen my other thread about converting seamless feet figures into regular figures, but in case not here's a link showing the operation I did on my s43.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3410-coverting-newer-phicen-seamless-feet-figures-into-regular-figures

This is what she looked like afterward. After giving this gal some real feet, I really really like this figure. She's got the fuller, more natural body of an s28/s29 but more normal looking shoulders. It seems Phicen has "finally" figured out how to not give their figures unusually broad shoulders. If she was a little smaller, and a little less busty, she'd be just about perfect to me. Thinking about getting myself an s42 now, and doing the same operation on her.

NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Ankl611

98NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:02 pm

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
skywalkersaga wrote:csyeung -- lol, indeed, all the glues I had tried could not withstand the spring of the silicone. ;p

MAM - I haven't tried that one yet, will keep it in mind! : )

Sugru isn't a glue, it's a silicone putty with adhesive strength that is malleable initially and then cures into a still somewhat flexible silicone/rubber - hence the reason I thought it could be perfect for this task.  If it works, it's unique. I sound like I'm doing a commercial but I haven't actuallly tried it yet.  I bought a cheap set of 3 minitubes but I don't know where I put them -- which isn't good, because the word appears to be that Sugru gets old even in the tubes so you don't want to buy last year's supply on clearance. Somebody please take one for the team and report back...

99NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:26 pm

csyeung

csyeung
NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Gooboo10

Excellent work Doctor!

100NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:29 pm

csyeung

csyeung
Moonbase Alpha Male wrote:

Sugru isn't a glue, it's a silicone putty with adhesive strength that is malleable initially and then cures into a still somewhat flexible silicone/rubber - hence the reason I thought it could be perfect for this task.  If it works, it's unique. I sound like I'm doing a commercial but I haven't actuallly tried it yet.  I bought a cheap set of 3 minitubes but I don't know where I put them -- which isn't good, because the word appears to be that Sugru gets old even in the tubes so you don't want to buy last year's supply on clearance.  Somebody please take one for the team and report back...

I've only seen this used for statues, to fix and resculpt parts, so I'm interested as well if this would work.

101NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:35 pm

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
csyeung wrote:

I've only seen this used for statues, to fix and resculpt parts, so I'm interested as well if this would work.

Yeah, as advertised it is supposed to retain some permanent flexibility (like when it is used on headphone cables etc), and it is silicone based itself, so "theoretically" it should be even way better on a silicone body than on a resin statue. But the proof is in the pudding. Sorry I've been too busy (by which I mean, lazy) to experiment with it myself.

102NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:43 pm

gooboo

Phicen bodies aren't actually made of silicone however, they're technically made of TPE, so I'm not sure how strong the bond would ultimately be.

103NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Wed Nov 25, 2020 7:51 pm

Moonbase Alpha Male

Moonbase Alpha Male
gooboo wrote:Phicen bodies aren't actually made of silicone however, they're technically made of TPE, so I'm not sure how strong the bond would ultimately be.

That's a good point, but Sugru isn't specifically made for Silicone, nor marketed that way, though it claims itself to be "Advanced Silicone Technology".  Those statues csyeung refers to aren't silicone either. Sugru claims that it "holds up to 4.4 lb (2 kg) on Glass, Ceramics, Wood, Metal, Plaster, most Plastics and Fabrics (and more), indoors and outdoors ."  But, don't believe everything you read.

104NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 - Page 4 Empty Re: NEW PRODUCT: TBleague s42-s43 Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:57 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
No, Jiaou bodies are TPE, Phicen/TBLeague bodies are medical-grade silicon of some type. That said, silicone glue can be peeled off them, so silicone working on silicone is not necessarily going to be a permanent solution. I have used Sugru before, just not for this. Keeping the packets in the fridge supposedly extends their life.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum