OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

1/6th scale Horses, general discussion

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

211/6th scale Horses, general discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: 1/6th scale Horses, general discussion Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:16 am

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Despite the rather specific position -- technically a problem with any statue -- the Akhal-Teke does look great.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

221/6th scale Horses, general discussion - Page 2 Empty 1/6th scale horses. and other horses. Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:12 pm

Frits.nl

sorry men about my remark about jumping horses are for girls. In the begin of the seventies I bought a full 13 ft container of horse models straight from Breyer. At the time they cost peanuts, depending on the model ( all traditional ) $1,- to $ 3,-. I was selling all of the jumping styles to girls and ladies!
Most horse models are in proportions wrong. Like Breyer they make the widest size of the horse in the middle, however a top view will show the horse is a pear model, the last ribs ( like with us ) is the widest and so are the hips. There for the shafts on a cart or wagon are the widest in the hind and than they bent inwards to the front. I ordered for one Hannoverian model but I am concerned about the size of the width given. That size is only possible if all the models are females and in faul!. This is the reason I started to make my own models 20 years ago as I wanted to have better anatomic correct horses. I got the sizes from the book AN ATLAS OF ANIMAL ANATOMY FOR ARTISTS. The writer, prof. W. Ellenberger, ( arond 1900 ) used to freeze-in complete horses and than sliced them like a bread. He measred the parts and noted down with his students any thing he saw in that slice. For anyone intereted about real horse proportions you can still buy the book, for $ 15.- or € 15,- or ten pounds you will get it send free home. You will find 64 different sizes for all the parts of a horse and there are a number of tables in the publication about several breeds, most English. Meanwhile it seems for my 1/6 wagon models the best option is the thoroughbred horse but I see it has not been released yet. I liked the hair indication on the Hannoverian but that seems to have disappeared again from the Thoroughbred. Making and selling horse models is big business, the turnover world wide is at least $ 75,- million per year! The search for a perfect scale horse comes forward from the effort to make perfect scale vehicles. So if you have a perfect wagon or cart but the horse does not look well the whole impression is wrong. There are hundreds of scale drawings available for making miniature vehicles - most in the 1/8 scale. This has to do with the fact in old magazines for the Carriage Inustrie from 1850 onward a folded up scale drawing was added in the 1½ inch to 1 foot ( which is 1 : 8 ) scale. However if you buy a set in the 1/8 scale any print shop can blow it up for you to the 1/6 scale. Mind you a simple cart can take up 70 hours of work building from scratch but a Gipsy Caravan up to 1.000 hours!   frits.nl

231/6th scale Horses, general discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: 1/6th scale Horses, general discussion Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:02 pm

skywalkersaga

Hi again, Frits!

Thanks for the information about all the studies on equine anatomy. I understand you are keen to make sure everything is accurate and 'to-scale', something we can all appreciate here on this forum. : )

I hope that the Thoroughbred will work out for you, and that maybe Mr.Z will put out additional models soon.

In case you maybe hadn't see his work before, there's also Nohuanda Equine Art who makes 1/6 scale horses:

1/6th scale Horses, general discussion - Page 2 16244392154_99dc730dbf_z

https://www.flickr.com/photos/nohuanda/

Would you share some photos of your own model horse creations here? As well as your wagons and carriages? Would love to see!

And finally, just to clarify -- my comment about the 'girls' was due to the fact that this forum has many female members, myself included. So, perhaps it's not quite possible to generalise completely. ; )

241/6th scale Horses, general discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: 1/6th scale Horses, general discussion Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:35 pm

GubernatorFan

Founding Father
Since these are essentially general discussions of sixth-scale horses from various brands and sources, I have merged the various threads together. Unless one is doing a review or presentation of a specific product exclusively, let's keep them in one place for ease of access.

Thanks for the link, Sky, those are some very impressive equine creations.

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com

251/6th scale Horses, general discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: 1/6th scale Horses, general discussion Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:07 pm

Delanie

Delanie
Juliana and Cinamon (Mr Z Ill horse)

1/6th scale Horses, general discussion - Page 2 LJM0MmP

261/6th scale Horses, general discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: 1/6th scale Horses, general discussion Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:09 pm

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Gorgeous beast, Delanie.

271/6th scale Horses, general discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: 1/6th scale Horses, general discussion Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:14 pm

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
Lovely picture. The color of the horse nicely matches the color of Juliana's hair.

281/6th scale Horses, general discussion - Page 2 Empty wonderful models Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:18 pm

Frits.nl

Skywalker thank you for your comment and the information on Nohuanda equine art horse models. beautiful scuptered and painted. With the grey model laid on its side you can see the pear model of the body I wrote about. This is really an artist who knows his business.
Would like to show pictures of my horse models from the past and some 1/6 vehicle miniatures I have built if I would know how to post pictures on this site.
Frits.nl

291/6th scale Horses, general discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: 1/6th scale Horses, general discussion Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:26 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Frits.nl wrote:Would like to show pictures of my horse models from the past and some 1/6 vehicle miniatures I have built if I would know how to post pictures on this site.

If you are having problems posting images, take a look at this thread, it might help. Or if there is an error message, let us know.

301/6th scale Horses, general discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: 1/6th scale Horses, general discussion Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:13 am

TravelGuide

TravelGuide

311/6th scale Horses, general discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: 1/6th scale Horses, general discussion Thu Mar 25, 2021 5:09 am

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Frits -- you are most welcome. Luis Aguilar (Nohuanda Equine Art) is indeed an amazing artist!!! You can definitely tell he knows and loves horses by looking at his creations. Of course, his work is quite expensive, as each piece is a unique work of art.

And TravelGuide has posted the link to the instructions on sharing images to the forum. Smile

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

321/6th scale Horses, general discussion - Page 2 Empty Re: 1/6th scale Horses, general discussion Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:58 am

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Oh, right, sorry, I think I forgot to paste the link.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum