OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Wobble Head Needs Help - and Matching Skin Tone

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Beatha

Hi - I'm new to the 1/6 world. I have some wonderful heads, but they don't fit and wobble/fall off. So I saw they sell neck adapters, but I'm not sure how they work and which would fit. I vaguely recall reading also that someone used unbaked polymer clay. Of course, I can use Magic Sculpt but then it will never move again.

Also, what is better for matching skin tones, airbrush or pastels? The seamless "skinned" figure I have seems that it would work better with pastels given the soft skin, but I'm also going to get a few jointed bodies.

Thanks!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Beatha wrote:Hi - I'm new to the 1/6 world. I have some wonderful heads, but they don't fit and wobble/fall off. So I saw they sell neck adapters, but I'm not sure how they work and which would fit. I vaguely recall reading also that someone used unbaked polymer clay. Of course, I can use Magic Sculpt but then it will never move again.

Also, what is better for matching skin tones, airbrush or pastels? The seamless "skinned" figure I have seems that it would work better with pastels given the soft skin, but I'm also going to get a few jointed bodies.

Thanks!

Hi Beatha,

Do not use anything that would immobilize the head or make it non-removable. My recommendation is to get some thick foamie sheets, cut out some small rectangles, and use them to line the opening in the head so that only a relatively small void is left; since the foamies are a bit flexible, the neck peg would be able to slide in and stay fairly securely in place. It is not as secure as some conventional neck connectors, but more than enough, unless you plan on holding your figure by the head and tossing the body about while doing it. Smile There is an illustration of this in this tutorial.

If you are trying to paint the seamless TPE (not silicon, yet) bodies, I don't think airbrush would work (at least acrylics don't). I would use (non-water-soluble) oil pastels. It is probably easier to repaint or tone the head than the body. For body coloring, see this tutorial; for repainting heads see this tutorial.

I hope this helps.

Beatha

GubernatorFan wrote:
Beatha wrote:Hi - I'm new to the 1/6 world. I have some wonderful heads, but they don't fit and wobble/fall off. So I saw they sell neck adapters, but I'm not sure how they work and which would fit. I vaguely recall reading also that someone used unbaked polymer clay. Of course, I can use Magic Sculpt but then it will never move again.

Thanks!

Hi Beatha,

Do not use anything that would immobilize the head or make it non-removable. My recommendation is to get some thick foamie sheets, cut out some small rectangles, and use them to line the opening in the head so that only a relatively small void is left; since the foamies are a bit flexible, the neck peg would be able to slide in and stay fairly securely in place. It is not as secure as some conventional neck connectors, but more than enough, unless you plan on holding your figure by the head and tossing the body about while doing it. Smile There is an illustration of this in this tutorial.

If you are trying to paint the seamless TPE (not silicon, yet) bodies, I don't think airbrush would work (at least acrylics don't). I would use (non-water-soluble) oil pastels. It is probably easier to repaint or tone the head than the body. For body coloring, see this tutorial; for repainting heads see this tutorial.

I hope this helps.

Thank you, I'll look for those foamie sheets. I won't be playing with the figures or moving them around a lot, so that would likely work well. I do love oil pastels, so I'll see about getting a few. Thank you!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Beatha wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:

Thanks!

Hi Beatha,

I hope this helps.

Thank you, I'll look for those foamie sheets. I won't be playing with the figures or moving them around a lot, so that would likely work well. I do love oil pastels, so I'll see about getting a few. Thank you!
You are welcome and good luck with your customization. And feel free to show off here.

Tasuke

Tasuke

whenever i've had a hollow vinyl head that doesn't quite fit, i wrap the neck peg in PVC tape until the head seats firmly in place...

Beatha

Thank you everyone, I got some foamie stuff and she looks great! I can't figure out how to add a photo, but I will once I figure it out.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I'm glad it worked out!
Here are a couple of threads that might be helpful if you're having trouble posting photos:

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t1767-how-to

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t24-help-needed-with-forum-tech

In general, if you are using any photo hosting service and that has a "direct link" you can copy and paste, that tends to work best here, inserting it either with the "Insert Image" button (which appears at the top of the text box you type in, looks like a little image frame with a small green circle with a white plus in the lower right corner) or in-between (no spaces) [ img ] and [ / img ]

n0vellette

n0vellette
I really love *chalk* pastels for staining TPE. And I do mean staining... That stuff is hard to get rid of unless you have a kneaded eraser. And even then it just smudges. I've never used it to fully repaint a body but its good for blushing and touchups. Scrape some powder off the stick and use a soft bristle paintbrush to lightly dab it on to the area you want painted Smile I use prismacolor but I'm sure any chalk pastel will do!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum