OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

TBLeague Super Flexible Female Seamless Bodies S24A-S27B

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 7]

Stryker2011

Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:
Peaches wrote:OK, cool, thanks @Stryker2011, I don't think I'd have to have a seamless for the Zoe I want to make, maybe can find a good color with another company if Jiaou doesn't have anything dark enough.  It's strange how darker skin is always difficult to find in the toy world Sad  With resin dolls, it's because the darker pigment is difficult to work with as it tends to marble and can't be sanded.  Though they're getting better with their formulas lately Smile

That's interesting, I had no idea!

And if it's for Zoe that you'd need the body for, perhaps since only her neck/chest area and forearms will be showing (assuming you'd be doing her 'main' outfit), you could just use an all-hard plastic jointed body and just paint the areas that will show? It's not ideal I know, but that's what I'm having to do for the time being with a couple of SW characters I'm working on...

I’ve done the same thing. Works fine.

Peaches

@skywalkersaga that's a great idea! A hard plastic doll is so inexpensive, it's not that scary to mess with Very Happy Thanks for opening my stupid mind up, LOL to you and @Stryker2011 Very Happy

skywalkersaga

Peaches wrote:@skywalkersaga that's a great idea!  A hard plastic doll is so inexpensive, it's not that scary to mess with Very Happy  Thanks for opening my stupid mind up, LOL to you and @Stryker2011 Very Happy

Aw, yeah, exactly! I love to be able to paint with acrylics, so to me if I can get away with using a surface that will 'take' that medium, then it's a win. I also personally don't view (quality) jointed bodies as being somehow 'lesser' than seamless ones....I just see them as both being useful for different needs and purposes. Smile

And you're welcome! Really looking forward to seeing your take on Zoe! ^.^

skywalkersaga

Sorry to be so annoying and persistent, lol, but... does anyone happen to have a pic of both the s17b AND the s25b (can include s27b as well), standing next to each other (preferably WITH headsculpts)?  

Even better if they are both standing next to a male figure (seamless or otherwise) for reference. Very Happy

I ask because, thus far, the s17b has been my favourite tbleague body in terms of overall shape. While it's not perfect, I really love the smaller upper body (slender shoulders and medium bust) on that one. But I've always felt it was probably still just a little too tall for certain characters that I'd need it for. I guess I'd just love to see one or both of the smaller bodies next to it just to get a better idea of how they all sort of compare. Smile

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:... does anyone happen to have a pic of both the s17b AND the s25b (can include s27b as well), standing next to each other (preferably WITH headsculpts)?  Even better if they are both standing next to a male figure (seamless or otherwise) for reference. Very Happy

It took a little digging in the boxes, and luckily I still had the guys out from the comparison photo for the M36 bodies review from a few days ago. So here it is. All TBLeague, all except S24A suntan (note the difference between male and female suntan). I got confused by the numbering and thought I was including both of the petite body types but S24A and S25B are just the pale and suntan versions of the same body type. If you want to see them next to the more petite versions, go back to the first post in this thread.

Hope this helps.

tbleague bodies - TBLeague Super Flexible Female Seamless Bodies S24A-S27B - Page 3 Tblbod10

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
OMG!!! That helps IMMENSELY, GubernatorFan!!! :O

Thank you so much! I now see that the s25b will likely be ok (height and stature-wise, at least) for what I need it for. cheers

Thanks again SO much, I truly had been agonizing over it.

And forgive my ignorance, but how tall (in total height, including headsculpt) is that seamless Arnie?

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:OMG!!! That helps IMMENSELY, GubernatorFan!!! :O Thank you so much! I now see that the s25b will likely be ok (height and stature-wise, at least) for what I need it for. cheers
Thanks again SO much, I truly had been agonizing over it. And forgive my ignorance, but how tall (in total height, including headsculpt) is that seamless Arnie?

Seamless Arnie (M34+knockoff head, I think) is about 12.1 inches (30.7 cm) tall. I say "about," because how you pose the legs makes a slight difference even when you're going for a basic "stand up straight" position. Same with how high up a head sits (all the more reason to use a loose inside neck connector or foamies -- then you can adjust as needed). And I meant to mention, since you noted wide shoulders on bodies, that you can adjust the shoulders to some degree. In the photo I tried to make sure the shoulders on the female figures stooped down.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote: Seamless Arnie (M34+knockoff head, I think) is about 12.1 inches (3.7 cm) tall. I say "about," because how you pose the legs makes a slight difference even when you're going for a basic "stand up straight" position. Same with how high up a head sits (all the more reason to use a loose inside neck connector or foamies -- then you can adjust as needed). And I meant to mention, since you noted wide shoulders on bodies, that you can adjust the shoulders to some degree. In the photo I tried to make sure the shoulders on the female figures stooped down.

Thanks again for the detailed info!  I think the male figure I need to use alongside the s25b is about the same height as the M34 (maybe just a smidge taller, approx 31 cm), so that's great, as it looks from the pics to be a decent enough height difference (whereas, the s17b would have been WAY too tall!)

And oooh, good to know about the shoulders (they look alright the way you have them posed here!) Some jointed bodies are better than others when it comes to them being able to move their shoulders up and down, and I only have experience with a handful of those at most. Nice to know the  seamless bodies allows some adjustment there (especially since, for the outfit(s) I have in mind, the shoulders will be on full display).

ETA: fixed the tbleague number, whoops

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks again for the detailed info!  I think the male figure I need to use alongside the s25b is about the same height as the M34 (maybe just a smidge taller, approx 31 cm), so that's great, as it looks from the pics to be a decent enough height difference (whereas, the s17b would have been WAY too tall!)

Well, if give the figure footwear, it will stand taller, right about 31 cm or even just over that, depending on the sole or shoe type (some 1/6 shoes are solid, with a hole for a foot peg rather than accommodating a whole foot). Also, if you have the lower legs covered by either long pant legs or tall boots, M33 comes with hard plastic ankle extenders that allow it to reach about the same height (you can check out my review HERE). While I dislike TBL's choice to resort to extenders immensely (it almost ruins the proportions of the figure if you want to stay seamless), it can be very helpful with the right clothing.

ReverendSpooky

ReverendSpooky
skywalkersaga wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote: Seamless Arnie (M34+knockoff head, I think) is about 12.1 inches (3.7 cm) tall. I say "about," because how you pose the legs makes a slight difference even when you're going for a basic "stand up straight" position. Same with how high up a head sits (all the more reason to use a loose inside neck connector or foamies -- then you can adjust as needed). And I meant to mention, since you noted wide shoulders on bodies, that you can adjust the shoulders to some degree. In the photo I tried to make sure the shoulders on the female figures stooped down.

And oooh, good to know about the shoulders (they look alright the way you have them posed here!) Some jointed bodies are better than others when it comes to them being able to move their shoulders up and down, and I only have experience with a handful of those at most. Nice to know the  seamless bodies allows some adjustment there (especially since, for the outfit(s) I have in mind, the shoulders will be on full display).

The shoulders thing makes a huge difference. I was turned off to TBLeague (when they were still Phicen) for a long time because the shoulders looked so wide in all of the product shots. It wasn't until a friend had one in hand did I realize how dramatically the shoulder articulation changed the entire look of the figure.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
GubernatorFan wrote:While I dislike TBL's choice to resort to extenders immensely (it almost ruins the proportions of the figure if you want to stay seamless), it can be very helpful with the right clothing.

I understand. For my tallest figures (modified Sideshow figures), I'm currently using the COOmodel extra tall body, because while it's not perfect, at least the extra height is factored into it a bit more. While I do have a couple of ankle extenders that come in different lengths, I feel like I could probably only get away with using the shortest of them (which I think  is about 1 cm extension), or it would start to look ridiculous. (Especially for things like Hot Toys, which seem to be more precisely scaled to look 'just right' at their own particular height.)

But your pics are extremely helpful in depicting the height differences, which I was stressing over, and I feel much better now about the potential for these bodies for my project(s). Smile

ReverendSpooky wrote:The shoulders thing makes a huge difference. I was turned off to TBLeague (when they were still Phicen) for a long time because the shoulders looked so wide in all of the product shots. It wasn't until a friend had one in hand did I realize how dramatically the shoulder articulation changed the entire look of the figure

Wow, yes. This is me exactly. I have long felt that these seamless bodies were not very aesthetically pleasing (to *MY* particular aesthetic tastes, that is, lol), but it's heartening to know they can and do look better in person!

Peaches

Peaches
awesome comparison @GubernatorFan, I'm wondering if you have the S26 S27 size to add to that comparison?  I'm thinking I need a petite character (Inara) but I have no idea if I can find a head for it?!

Actually, I just found some pictures of all the ladies together, and it's only Gina Torres who is taller than the rest.  The other 3 are petite or at least the same size.  Shoulder widths are very different though... I wonder if some of them are wearing extreme heels in the picture I found?!

tbleague bodies - TBLeague Super Flexible Female Seamless Bodies S24A-S27B - Page 3 H9q1p1jr2syx

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
What a great group pic of them all, Peaches! Makes me ridiculously nostalgic for that show. :")

Re: their shoulders... yeah, definitely different. I think you could maybe (??) get away with using the s24 or s25 for River, but *only* if you managed to find a suitable headsculpt that was both the right size AND a colour match (unless you're willing to repaint/tint the headsculpt, that is). For River it could make sense to use a seamless body, given some of her outfits. With Kaylee, since she'll be wearing the jumpsuit type thing, you can use a jointed body no problem (or a partially seamless, perhaps). Since she has wider shoulders than the others, you could try one of the the PopToys bodies for her (either jointed or partially seamless versions -- partially seamless might have better colour match for her?). Those PopToys have somewhat broader shoulders but are still of shorter stature. But of course you'd still need to find the right headsculpt, etc.

For Inara, I am not sure...her skintone makes it tough to find a seamless that  is the right shape and shade. It would largely depend on what outfit you were choosing to do for her (and of course, which head you were using with it). There may be an official 1/6 version of Morena Baccarin as a different character out there that I'm unaware of, as I'm kind of out of the loop. :3

( Incidentally, if you ever figure out how to make an Inara, I'm all ears.... it would make me much more likely to get the Mal figure if I knew I could potentially give him an Inara, too, lol.  I'm an unabashed fangirl and love having figures of my fave ships, what I can say... ;p )

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Kumik did a Summer Glau (supposed to be) head sculpt from when she was on that short-lived Terminator TV series, haven’t seen it available for a couple years now. Other than customs (long unavailable), the other ladies have not been done. I mentioned my interest in a sculpt of Morena from Deadpool to a head sculptor I deal with, but it could be a really long time before that even becomes a possibility.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

tbleague bodies - TBLeague Super Flexible Female Seamless Bodies S24A-S27B - Page 3 C8485110

Peaches

Peaches
Eeek, but I was hoping to put River on the 26/27 body (smaller busted one) and the other two girls on 24/25 and Zoe on the 17/18 whatever, taller body. River seems smaller and more fragile than everyone else, even if she's just as tall, LOL

I'm having a heck of a time finding good heads so I've been 3d'ing 'em and hope to have my nephew print them out for me. But I don't know how well PVC prints can be smoothed nor how well the paint would work, but I'm hoping the leveler people use for building models will do the job? I'll have to see how they turn out printed to see if it will work for me.

It would also free me up as to the skin colors hopefully. My vietnam tec head came in and I was so afraid the head was smaller than Mal's but turns out exactly the same size (Whew!) So I got the start of Jayne Very Happy

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Here’s some info on the ladies that might help:
Gina Torres 5’10”
Morena Baccarin 5’ 7.5”
Jewel Staite & Summer Glau are both 5’6” (but they intentionally had Jewel gain a little more weight for her role).

tbleague bodies - TBLeague Super Flexible Female Seamless Bodies S24A-S27B - Page 3 C8485110

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
[quote="Peaches"]Eeek, but I was hoping to put River on the 26/27 body (smaller busted one) and the other two girls on 24/25 and Zoe on the 17/18 whatever, taller body.  River seems smaller and more fragile than everyone else, even if she's just as tall, LOL

I'm having a heck of a time finding good heads so I've been 3d'ing 'em and hope to have my nephew print them out for me.  But I don't know how well PVC prints can be smoothed nor how well the paint would work, but I'm hoping  the leveler people use for building models will do the job?  I'll have to see how they turn out printed to see if it will work for me.

It would also free me up as to the skin colors hopefully.  My vietnam tec head came in and I was so afraid the head was smaller than Mal's but turns out exactly the same size (Whew!)  So I got the start of Jayne Very Happy[/quote

Maybe you still can use that smallest body for River then! If you are making your own heads, that expands your options a bit! So do whatever works best. Very Happy

And I believe PVC can be sanded -- I haven't tried it myself, but I have read many tutorials on customizing smaller 6 inch action figures which are usually entirely PVC. Most of them recommend sanding (using various grades of sand paper). So I don't see why you couldn't sand off any rough edges or areas on your printed heads. : )

Peaches

Peaches
Interesting trivia @stryker2011 Very Happy

@skywalkersaga cool, I found a blog where they apparently have a tiny, very fine sand blower to sand with. Interesting that that's now a hobbyist thing Very Happy I can probably also fill voids and make a mold of it and cast it in resin, if it turns out to look OK

brassco

brassco
My take on this:

tbleague bodies - TBLeague Super Flexible Female Seamless Bodies S24A-S27B - Page 3 STAR10011-i

Star Ace Toys 1/6th Scale Hermione Granger Collectible Figure
I replaced the body with S25B, and changed the HS to a teenager version.

tbleague bodies - TBLeague Super Flexible Female Seamless Bodies S24A-S27B - Page 3 01
tbleague bodies - TBLeague Super Flexible Female Seamless Bodies S24A-S27B - Page 3 02
tbleague bodies - TBLeague Super Flexible Female Seamless Bodies S24A-S27B - Page 3 03

The HS is indeed loose, in need of modification. The shoes were changed too. This pair of shoes originally fits those of a normal size Phicen, but I can fit it with the S25's feet.

tbleague bodies - TBLeague Super Flexible Female Seamless Bodies S24A-S27B - Page 3 IMG-20190121-212157

A comparison to a full body Phicen figure.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thank you for sharing, brassco! That is a very helpful comparison when it comes to the height issue.  

And I like your modified teenage Hermione....much better than the official StarAce version. Wink  You mentioned that the headsculpt was a bit loose... does it *look* loose, as in, does it have a visible gap, or is it just a bit wobbly?

brassco

brassco
skywalkersaga wrote:Thank you for sharing, brassco! That is a very helpful comparison when it comes to the height issue.  

And I like your modified teenage Hermione....much better than the official StarAce version. Wink  You mentioned that the headsculpt was a bit loose... does it *look* loose, as in, does it have a visible gap, or is it just a bit wobbly?

a bit wobbly it is. I inserted some paper inside the HS, and then placed it into it's adapter (which is fitted for a normal neck joint). Still wobbly, but the neck can be seen, hence looked better.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
brassco wrote:
skywalkersaga wrote: does it *look* loose, as in, does it have a visible gap, or is it just a bit wobbly?

a bit wobbly it is. I inserted some paper inside the HS, and then placed it into it's adapter (which is fitted for a normal neck joint). Still wobbly, but the neck can be seen, hence looked better.

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying!

brassco

brassco
tbleague bodies - TBLeague Super Flexible Female Seamless Bodies S24A-S27B - Page 3 04
tbleague bodies - TBLeague Super Flexible Female Seamless Bodies S24A-S27B - Page 3 05

I replaced the neck adapter with a foam used to package some stuff.

tbleague bodies - TBLeague Super Flexible Female Seamless Bodies S24A-S27B - Page 3 06
tbleague bodies - TBLeague Super Flexible Female Seamless Bodies S24A-S27B - Page 3 07
tbleague bodies - TBLeague Super Flexible Female Seamless Bodies S24A-S27B - Page 3 08

now the HS can be positioned which ever way i liked! It's no longer wobbly, and no visible gap.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Definitely looks better - thanks for the mini tutorial. ^.^

Peaches

Peaches
Oh wow, that gives me so much more of an understanding of the size @brassco What a great size for a snot nose teen, LOL. She really looks grumpy in the picture, just like the teenie boppers look coming out of school every day, LOL

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I found a couple of those Kumik heads that's supposed to be Summer Glau if you're interested, Peaches:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KUMIK-KM15-28-1-6-Scale-Beauty-Headplay-Female-Head-Sculpt-for-12-Figure/401041147614?hash=item5d5fea46de:g:xkkAAOSwwE5WbSp8

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kumik-1-6-KM15-28-Scale-Female-Head-Sculpt-Beauty-Headplay-for-12-Phicen-Figure/262633771972?hash=item3d263153c4:g:GcQAAOSwTA9X4I-R

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Ok, finally some good news.... I went ahead and ordered the s25b. It has been agony waiting to find out for sure if it would work with the headsculpt I wanted to use it with in the meantime. It arrived this morning, and omg.... it works! :O  I mean, yes, ok, it's still a teeny bit wobbly (easily sorted using the method put forth by GF and brassco), but it looks fine size-wise! Even the neck looks fine! I am breathing a huge sigh of relief. And not only does the headsculpt I wanted to use with it look right in terms of size, but the colour match is really good! And best of all....the body itself is the right size next to the male figure!!! Smile Smile Smile

So, for anyone curious, the s25b (suntan) does indeed work ok with a Peak Toys headsculpt, in both size and skintone (even the inner peg that comes with it seems to be about the right length for it). The Kimi Toys head that I tried on it, on the other hand, while it too looked surprisingly ok size-wise and even in terms of skintone, did have a bit more of a noticeable 'gap' in the back of the neck area. This can be easily worked around with the right hairstyle though -- if the hair is long and being left down (as with the Hermione figure pictured above), then it is not super noticeable. (And honestly even some jointed bodies have had this problem when I've used certain Kimi sculpts on them, so I'm used to working around it and it's not the end of the world.)

I don't have any pics yet (bear with me), but as soon as I do, you can be sure I will share them here! Smile  

Overall, I am so excited -- this s25b body opens up so many more possibilities for me in terms of costuming that I had not previously allowed myself to consider, as I did not think I could find a short enough seamless body to use.

Huge thanks to everyone who has provided detailed info and photos! You've all helped me immensely!!! cheers

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
I can't wait to see the photos.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Silly question, but... does one need to use a hairdryer to warm up the hands and feet on these to remove them? I have never owned a tbleague body before, and I was going to try some clothing on my new s25b just now, and realized the feet and hands were far more 'stuck' on than I am used to with non-seamless bodies. Didn't want to risk damaging the joints so thought I'd better ask...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum