OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

[Alt History] A cavalry man, standing by.

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Hello!

Just another entry into my alt history and the second to last one that I'll be posting soon before sitting down and making one big thread with links to all of them. I've enjoyed putting this together and combing all the history I could find in order to be as realistic as possible with the depictions. And while I would love to move towards the cold war era I don't have that many cold war era items in order to put together something realistic like what I did with these other figures that are set in the 1910's to early 1940's, perhaps later on I will revive the series set in the 1950's to 1980's but for now well, this guy and a sailor will be it and with that let's go straight into some history and then the story.

Cavalry, there is strangely enough not a lot about cavalry in PR, it existed, it was used but it's somewhat more difficult to find information about it,  there is as far as I know only one photograph of Puertorican cavalry in Ponce in 1898, and one of the civil guard on horseback, compared to quite a few photographs of the infantry and even of the navy, it's rare but also interesting. Sadly the one photograph from Ponce is too dark to distinguish any other gear apart from their rifles.

Mounted Cavalry corps of Puerto Rico
The Cavalry corps were reconstituted after Puerto Rico became a republic, originally the corps were mostly armed with swords and lances but as time went on the military started to shift towards rifles and pistols while leaving swords and lances relegated to ceremonial duties and parades. By the early 1900's the cavalry only issued sabers to officers, a lot of the sabers would end up being transferred to the navy who would put them into the "Sable Modelo 1900", also known simply as M19 (They were shortened) while those that remained in cavalry service were used by the Presidential Guard and by members of the cavalry who were out on parade. As for the lance it remained in service until 1942 and was used in the early days of the conflict by the cavalry who reported great success.
Uniforms wise the uniform was the same as the one issued to the infantry with the exception of footwear and headgear, Puerto Rican cavalry made use of a helmet that before the war was known for it's shine and plume but by the end of 1916 the plume had been removed and it's shine replaced with a matte black or matte brown paint, some members of the cavalry continued to put a feather on their helmets while others did not, the cavalry's helmet also showed the military leadership the need for helmets for all soldiers since cavalry reported less deaths from head wounds.

During the early days of the war the Cavalry made great use of its lances, shock troops essentially as they charged infantry from the side, lances at the ready to pierce their enemies, this however would not last and the introduction of the tank into the battlefield would put an end to such engagements, after all horses were needed to move supplies from the train stations to the front and the field of battle had changed from open engagements to trenches and mud.  By the middle of 1917 most of the cavalry was carrying out front line duties in the trenches while a small group continued to carry out hit and run attacks against supply lines and advancing troop movements. The last actual cavalry charge would happen on the 27th of March 1918, the cavalry would charge downhill against advancing US infantry, Captain Justino Vargas who was short on ammunition ordered the men under his command to ready bayonets and charge.
[Alt History] A cavalry man, standing by.  A1RwClF
[Alt History] A cavalry man, standing by.  P9JAIw4
[Alt History] A cavalry man, standing by.  U1x8C9r

And that's all really, I wasn't too sure if I should have posted this guy either. For a long while I considered getting my hands on a 1/6 scale horse but where would I get 1/6 scale hay [Alt History] A cavalry man, standing by.  1f631 ? Seemed like too much of a responsibility. Joking aside I did consider it for a long time and changed some things around on the figure a little in order to make more sense (like no sabre for example), overall its a really, really simple figure with not that many details but anyway, I hope people like it and the story, just one more before this series is an official wrap so for now have a nice rest of the weekend and a happy safe week.

P.S, the photographer was still celebrating Christmas a bit too hard when he took the photos. [Alt History] A cavalry man, standing by.  1f609

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [Alt History] A cavalry man, standing by.  1f60e

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Feliz Navidad! Nice figure. I was wondering about the horse. There is a relatively inexpensive and well-articulated Cick N' Play horse that comes with their mounted police figure, reviewed here on the forum. I bet with some customizing it might look half decent, although none of our horse experts have deigned to comment. I like the helmet, but your comment made me think that the cavalry reported a higher than usual neck-breaking incidence. Smile

davidd

davidd
Always interesting to see another installment in your (Alt) History of Puerto Rico, and to see images representing that history!

I think you handled the lack of a horse to accompany this cavalry figure quite plausibly in your history.

Perhaps those fortunate enough to survive warfare in the trenches were later able to put their horsemanship skills, with the necessary quick reaction time and sense of agility and balance, to good use in the motor corps as motor-cycle dispatch riders, or even in the fledgling air corps, if such a thing developed.

Many of your characters look intimidating. This soldier looks professional, dedicated to his craft and his corps, but as though he might be a fine fellow open to a laugh over a brew during off-duty time.

BAMComix

BAMComix
He looks terrific!

Ovy

Ovy
HOLD THE DOOR, WHATEVER COMES THROUGH IT!!

Another beautiful, down to earth, solemn take on your alternate history project. Excited to revisit all your work in the Book of Boo.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Pretty cool. If you’re looking for a horse, and don’t want to fork over for the Mr. Z’s, try the Marx Johnny West horses (you may get lucky and find one at a reasonable price); I’ve seen hay bales (I believe on Etsy…?).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

[Alt History] A cavalry man, standing by.  C8485110

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
GubernatorFan wrote:Feliz Navidad! Nice figure. I was wondering about the horse. There is a relatively inexpensive and well-articulated Cick N' Play horse that comes with their mounted police figure, reviewed here on the forum. I bet with some customizing it might look half decent, although none of our horse experts have deigned to comment. I like the helmet, but your comment made me think that the cavalry reported a higher than usual neck-breaking incidence. Smile
Thanks Gubernator, I looked up that horse and that's pretty much the horse I had in mind, wasn't too sure about the exposed joints or what to do about them, or how to tackle its mane which is the reason I chose against it, but I'll keep it in case I decide to actually get the horse, or just get a fancy one at some point.

davidd wrote:Always interesting to see another installment in your (Alt) History of Puerto Rico, and to see images representing that history!

I think you handled the lack of a horse to accompany this cavalry figure quite plausibly in your history.

Perhaps those fortunate enough to survive warfare in the trenches were later able to put their horsemanship skills, with the necessary quick reaction time and sense of agility and balance, to good use in the motor corps as motor-cycle dispatch riders, or even in the fledgling air corps, if such a thing developed.

Many of your characters look intimidating. This soldier looks professional, dedicated to his craft and his corps, but as though he might be a fine fellow open to a laugh over a brew during off-duty time.

Thanks Davidd, I'm pleased that you enjoyed it and I like how you looked into the future. I considered a pilot for this theme but it didn't feel right, if there's anyone up on the sky chances are they are on a balloon but yeah, from the horseback to the skies would be a very natural trasition for some of them, specially since the horse was shown to "no longer" have a place in the front lines, perhaps I could make another figure dealing with either the new air force or the motor corps later on.

BAMComix wrote:He looks terrific!
Thanks BAM!

Ovy wrote:HOLD THE DOOR, WHATEVER COMES THROUGH IT!!

Another beautiful, down to earth, solemn take on your alternate history project. Excited to revisit all your work in the Book of Boo.
Thanks Ovy, hold the door indeed! it's been holding strong for a while now, I plan on making a new one too so I have more like it. glad you enjoyed my alt history projects too.

Stryker2011 wrote:Pretty cool. If you’re looking for a horse, and don’t want to fork over for the Mr. Z’s, try the Marx Johnny West horses (you may get lucky and find one at a reasonable price); I’ve seen hay bales (I believe on Etsy…?).
Thanks Stryker, looked into those and they could work, I might grab one of those marxx ones to test it out.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [Alt History] A cavalry man, standing by.  1f60e

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum