OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

[Alt History] Knights of the Sky - Air force of the Republic

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Hello!

I've been a bit busy but here I am, finally after so many times of saying "Next week" and "Soon" it's here, my pilot.  He's probably the figure I have redone the most, the original one only had a jumpsuit but it looked more like a mechanic than a pilot, I kept changing pieces and parts around in hopes of getting what I imagined a pilot would look like. It is today that I finally feel comfortable showing this guy, not exactly amazing looking but I hope he looks the part.
With that said I'll hop straight to the alt history about the airforce since there where no planes back in 1898 to draw inspiration from.

Puerto Rico National Air Force

In 1917 Puerto Ricos defense minister ordered the purchase of hot air balloons for the purpose of surveillance and photography, this would be the start of Puerto Rico's fledgling Air Force, during those days the decision on who would ride one such thing was simple, couldn't be afraid of heights and had to know how to operate a camera, training on how to properly work the hot air balloon was secondary at best. It wouldn't be until the reforms of the 1920 that a proper air force would be established, the initial purchase of surplus WWI planes and any commercial ones was substantial for a project few had faith would work. From 1920 to 1926 men would be chosen and tested by foreign pilots brought to PR, Germans, French, British and even a few American pilots made their way to the island. The early days of Puerto Rico's air force was rocky at best, a few accidents would initially put off the desires of men to join it and the romanization of both navy and army service didn't help either.

Even though everything seemed to be against the air force it persevered, by the 1930's the size had grown from just 10 planes to 40 though some of the planes where still old. Nevertheless the air force would become an integral part of military and national security operations. Uniform wise the air force would also start providing a proper uniform which prior to the 1930's where nothing more than an arm band and a plaque similar to those worn by the police, the new uniform for ground crews would be the standard one issued to the army  both in grey and tan, a later green uniform would make it's way into service, for pilots coveralls and jackets became more common though those that where grounded would wear the uniform given to graduate pilots which consisted of a sky blue jacket with black cuffs and mandarin neck, black riding pants and black garrison cap with blue pipping, boots where the choice of the pilot. Gear wise once a pilot was to fly they would wield a pistol either luger or the now more common colt, some pilots would also bring a c96 mauser a favorite among pilots and crews of smaller water craft.
[Alt History] Knights of the Sky - Air force of the Republic  0Tu6erD
[Alt History] Knights of the Sky - Air force of the Republic  7jh1T3Q
[Alt History] Knights of the Sky - Air force of the Republic  Oogo256
[Alt History] Knights of the Sky - Air force of the Republic  AIAutHN
[Alt History] Knights of the Sky - Air force of the Republic  8VPxeiD

As always I made the belts and pouches, also the harness of the c96 since the rubber one that came with it wouldn't work for what I wanted, additionally I painted the uniform with the help of fabric medium, it's not great but it works. I've also decided that since this guy will mark the end of my government forces I've decided to gather all the links about them and post them here so that if you haven't seen them you can go take a look, maybe read a little if you are into that and hopefully get some inspiration to do something similar.
Puerto Rico National Army
Puerto Rico National Navy
Puerto Rico Naval Infantry
Puerto Rico National Police
P.R. National Army Machine Gunner
P.R. Civil Defense Volunteer
P.R. Civil Defense Officer

This will be all for now, I know it's long but if you all have made it this far then I hope you all have a nice week, stay safe out there and have some fun.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [Alt History] Knights of the Sky - Air force of the Republic  1f60e

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Excellent figure. And I really dig the alt history. It’s funny you mention “not being afraid of heights” to join the PR Air Force; I was in the USAF, and I am terrified of heights — thankfully I wasn’t a pilot, but I did have to jump out of a plane (I was actually thrown out the first time). Never did enjoy that aspect of it, but aside from hitching rides on cargo flights, I spent most of my time on the ground.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

[Alt History] Knights of the Sky - Air force of the Republic  C8485110

shazzdan

shazzdan
Great figure. It is cool to see something a little different.

I'm scared of heights as well but have no trouble on planes or even parachuting. I have major difficulty walking over a high bridge or with activities like bungee-jumping. Roller coasters, on the other hand, I find great fun.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Wonderful looking figure!

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Another fine alt-historical figure. I continue to be impressed with your ability to combine realism and imagination, and to end up with a design that is so well-put together. This is a fine example of that, with the choice of colors and accessories/outfit. And what a difference color makes -- although the B&W photograph gives it a certain historical quality, too.

Ovy

Ovy
Really love how grounded your universe is, even the air force, haha. 

He looks great in front of that historically very important door and the iconic blue wall. Reading about that balloon kept me thinking, one could do really simple/good balloon dioramas with a basket, either in front of a sky picture on an elevated position photographed in front of the sky.

Also great idea linking the other figures, helps a.lot for reviewing and new viewers.

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Another of your very cool figures. I love the huge Mauser pistol!

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Stryker2011 wrote:Excellent figure. And I really dig the alt history. It’s funny you mention “not being afraid of heights” to join the PR Air Force; I was in the USAF, and I am terrified of heights — thankfully I wasn’t a pilot, but I did have to jump out of a plane (I was actually thrown out the first time). Never did enjoy that aspect of it, but aside from hitching rides on cargo flights, I spent most of my time on the ground.
Thanks Stryker, I added the thing about heights because I thouhgt about how funny it would be to have some sort of hot air balloon test where some guy is told to get in and it goes up. I'm personally not that afraid of heights just so long as it isn't too far off the ground.

shazzdan wrote:Great figure. It is cool to see something a little different.

I'm scared of heights as well but have no trouble on planes or even parachuting. I have major difficulty walking over a high bridge or with activities like bungee-jumping. Roller coasters, on the other hand, I find great fun.
Thanks Shazzdan, air force related figures are not my strength, I'm more of an infantry figure guy. I'm not that afraid of heights however if it's a bridge or  roads like some of the ones we have over here and I'm not driving then I'll feel my stomach churn.

BAMComix wrote:Wonderful looking figure!
Thanks BamComix!

GubernatorFan wrote:Another fine alt-historical figure. I continue to be impressed with your ability to combine realism and imagination, and to end up with a design that is so well-put together. This is a fine example of that, with the choice of colors and accessories/outfit. And what a difference color makes -- although the B&W photograph gives it a certain historical quality, too.
Thanks Gubernator, I've enjoyed making these alt history figures a lot, I feel I've learned a few things along the way both historically and skill wise. I'm glad they are well received.

Ovy wrote:Really love how grounded your universe is, even the air force, haha. 

He looks great in front of that historically very important door and the iconic blue wall. Reading about that balloon kept me thinking, one could do really simple/good balloon dioramas with a basket, either in front of a sky picture on an elevated position photographed in front of the sky.

Also great idea linking the other figures, helps a.lot for reviewing and new viewers.
Thanks Ovy, I have something planned for that historical door though I don't know when I'll do something proper fun with it, it will be a bit silly I think.  I hadn't thought about using a basket to make up a hot air balloon or something similar.
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Another of your very cool figures.  I love the huge Mauser pistol!  
Thanks ThePhotogsBlog, the mauser c96 and it's variants are one of my favorite guns, this one I got some months back after a lot of searching.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [Alt History] Knights of the Sky - Air force of the Republic  1f60e

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Theboo-bomb wrote:
Stryker2011 wrote:Excellent figure. And I really dig the alt history. It’s funny you mention “not being afraid of heights” to join the PR Air Force; I was in the USAF, and I am terrified of heights — thankfully I wasn’t a pilot, but I did have to jump out of a plane (I was actually thrown out the first time). Never did enjoy that aspect of it, but aside from hitching rides on cargo flights, I spent most of my time on the ground.
Thanks Stryker, I added the thing about heights because I thouhgt about how funny it would be to have some sort of hot air balloon test where some guy is told to get in and it goes up. I'm personally not that afraid of heights just so long as it isn't too far off the ground.

shazzdan wrote:Great figure. It is cool to see something a little different.

Thanks Shazzdan, air force related figures are not my strength, I'm more of an infantry figure guy. I'm not that afraid of heights however if it's a bridge or  roads like some of the ones we have over here and I'm not driving then I'll feel my stomach churn.

BAMComix wrote:Wonderful looking figure!
Thanks BamComix!

GubernatorFan wrote:Another fine alt-historical figure. I continue to be impressed with your ability to combine realism and imagination, and to end up with a design that is so well-put together. This is a fine example of that, with the choice of colors and accessories/outfit. And what a difference color makes -- although the B&W photograph gives it a certain historical quality, too.
Thanks Gubernator, I've enjoyed making these alt history figures a lot, I feel I've learned a few things along the way both historically and skill wise. I'm glad they are well received.

Ovy wrote:Really love how grounded your universe is, even the air force, haha. 

Thanks Ovy, I have something planned for that historical door though I don't know when I'll do something proper fun with it, it will be a bit silly I think.  I hadn't thought about using a basket to make up a hot air balloon or something similar.
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Another of your very cool figures.  I love the huge Mauser pistol!  
Thanks ThePhotogsBlog, the mauser c96 and it's variants are one of my favorite guns, this one I got some months back after a lot of searching.

I have two myself. A cheap one with no moving parts and a pleather holster and a much nicer one with moving parts and a combo shoulder stock / holster. I plan to issue both the future bad guys (or gals) as going forward, I will now be building up my bad guys more than the good guys.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum