OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

TBLeague Barbarian Soul Review (updated March 9)

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 2]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Extra photos in Post 16 and Post 27.

TBLeague Barbarian Soul Review (updated March 9) Tblbar10

Introduction: I knew it to be yet another fantasy figure by TBLeague (formerly Phicen), though perhaps not as egregiously sexploitative as some others, and thought I would be able to keep from buying the set. Perhaps I should have. But I didn't. Since this is an entirely fantasy character with little to compare to in terms of (known/recognizable) source evidence, I'm adopting a simpler format and will provide the score for the various categories at the end, following the brief comments and photos.

The figure comes in what appears to be the standard TBLeague packaging, in which the sides of the lid are attached by magnets, and you remove what is essentially a triptych. Some other companies (like DID) print images on the inside that you can use as backdrops for your figure. TBLeague continues to miss this opportunity. Otherwise, the packaging is perfect, with collector-friendly foam treys and nothing out of place. The product box ships inside a cardboard shipper with some information printed on it, and the logo for the product. If you are getting this from another retailer, it will probably be concealed in their shipping box.

TBLeague Barbarian Soul Review (updated March 9) Tblbar11

Here is the figure as it comes out of the box -- I have only attached the head. So far, so good, everything is functional and it looks like it is supposed to, according to the promotional photos.

TBLeague Barbarian Soul Review (updated March 9) Tblbar12

The sculpting is exquisite throughout the items that make up the set, from the head sculpt to the detail on the pieces of armor. It is a different matter whether one likes the head sculpt or the style of decoration and detail -- but the quality is top notch, as we have come to expect from TBLeague in this respect. The paint job is also excellent, with both precise fine details (like the eyebrows) and weathered treatment of the armor receiving the specific kinds of attention they deserved. Add to this the finely executed (perhaps too finely for a barbarian!) nordic-looking tattoo on the right (camera left) side of the chest. The head sculpt is a reasonably close match for the skin tone of the body (which is M35, I think), especially in hand, but there it does look a little warmer/darker.

TBLeague Barbarian Soul Review (updated March 9) Tblbar13

Note the tattoo on the right side of the back of the head. It is also finely executed, if sometimes partly concealed by the hair. The earrings are metal hops which can be adjusted.

TBLeague Barbarian Soul Review (updated March 9) Tblbar14

The accessories you would have to put on the figure yourself include the molded greaves, the modled vambraces, and the two different molded shoulder guards, as well as a system of three skulls hanging from different leather (or pleather) straps tied together. The vambraces and greaves match with each other, and all these pieces also feature one or more skull design. These are all nicely executed and appropriately weathered, but bother me to no end, in part because of how well they approach realism in all respects but one. The problem is size: except for the main skull on the shoulder guard that goes over the right shoulder, which is oversized, all the skull designs are undersized -- and so undersized that you would have difficulty pretending that even the skulls hanging from the straps belong to shrunken heads. I like my fantasy a little more plausible. The way to do this well, if they were going to be so skull-crazy in the first place, would have been to make any realistic skulls realistically-sized, and the rest a more abstract design, as if they had been carved as decorations out of bone by a barbarian culture. Then there is the single weapon accessory, the axe. It is a very impressive and finely executed piece, no doubt, but utterly preposterous in its design and size. Every aspect of it is implausible or impractical, to the point where it simply doesn't work very well with what is otherwise a relatively realistically proportioned and featured character; if it had been stylized, perhaps it might have been fine.

TBLeague Barbarian Soul Review (updated March 9) Tblbar15

As far as other wearable accessories go, the helmet is a piece of art. The horns are made to look like bone or possibly wood, with reinforcing meal tips and bands, and a series of helmet plates lines its surface; to the bottom is attached a section of "chain" mail to protect the neck. The front of the helmet is reminiscent of a faux Corinthian style, with a noseguard dividing the opening for the eyes and a narrow slit dividing the lower face over the mouth. While its "chain" mail (like the "chain" mail skirt) is made of a sort of fabric material, the helmet is molded in relatively thin and somewhat flexible plastic, which makes it pretty easy -- and safe -- to slide onto and off of the head. Well done, if quite fantastical. The same cannot be said for the shoulder guards. Besides their questionable visual design (what with mis-sized skulls and oversized spikes), these suffer in terms of functional design. There are four of push buttons sown onto the leather (or pleather) harness worn by the figure, which are supposed to attach to corresponding pieces inside the shoulder guards. While it was difficult enough to attach the hooks and straps of the greaves and vambraces and to slide them over the faux fur sleeves, snapping the shoulder guards onto these push buttons was well-nigh impossible, even after plenty of time and effort. In the end I succeeded in connecting one of each pair of push buttons, which made it possible to take a few photos for the review (by this point I realized that I will never want to use them again after this). I should also point out that the molded pieces of armor have a light, powder blue underside, an unfortunate choice when parts of those are exposed, as you might be able to see in some of the photos.

TBLeague Barbarian Soul Review (updated March 9) Tblbar16

When I put the cloak on the figure, the spikey shoulder guard unsnapped and I could not get it attached again. What to do with a detached shoulder guard? How about this?

TBLeague Barbarian Soul Review (updated March 9) Tblbar17

Or this? Actually either of these looks more plausible than the way it was intended to be used.

TBLeague Barbarian Soul Review (updated March 9) Tblbar18

But I suppose I will leave it to the side for now. At any rate, here is the figure with the cloak on. It is a tattered cloak with a fur-lined collar area. To put it on you have to remove the head. The cloak features a couple of wires concealed inside it, which can be used to get some positioning for wind or dramatic effect -- but nothing too over the top. The fur on the cloak matches the fur on the rest of the outfit, just like the faux leather of the harness and belt match that of the skirt.

TBLeague Barbarian Soul Review (updated March 9) Tblbar19

There are a couple of optional extra accessories that come with the set. One is a little package containing three extra straps, I assume for the purpose of replacement if those on which the skulls are attached should break. The other is a molded disk that is supposed to snap onto the ring at the center of the harness over the chest. Once again the concept was fine but the resulting functionality leaves something (a lot) to be desired. While I briefly managed to attach one of the two clasps of the disk onto the harness ring, the other proved too difficult -- especially as I did not want to risk damaging the harness or the TPE flesh in the process. So I gave up and snapped one end of the disk to one of the hoops hanging from the belt/skirt.

TBLeague Barbarian Soul Review (updated March 9) Tblbar20

I should also mention that the heft of the stainless-steel skeleton body and the relative weight of some of the accessories (though apart from a few hoops there is no additional metal here -- thankfully) help throw the figure off balance more easily than otherwise. Nevertheless, the articulation is largely unrestricted, including that of the shoes, and if the shoulder guards get in the way of the upper arms, I'm sure they will snap off quite easily. The shoulder guards, not arms. Smile This helps the figure assume relatively natural stances and keep relatively good balance. Or as much as can be expected wielding this sort of crazy weapon.

TBLeague Barbarian Soul Review (updated March 9) Tblbar21

Remember when I was talking about dramatic wind? Well I just realized I had captured it on camera! Smile

TBLeague Barbarian Soul Review (updated March 9) Tblbar22

Again, despite the several layers of clothing, the articulation is generally unimpeded. For example, the "chain" mail skirt is slit at the back (concealed beneath a layer of leather and fur -- I assume both of them faux), which allows the upper legs to move sideways or forward/upward with relative ease.

TBLeague Barbarian Soul Review (updated March 9) Tblbar23

So while our barbarian hero takes a break (unwittingly demonstrating that he can sit comfortably like a civilized person), let's consider the overall impression this set makes and the scores. If you have less expectation for realism (or rather plausibility) from your fantasy sets, you may be more forgiving. In fact I have so many issues with the visual design that I cannot blame you asking why didn't I just pick up a few parted out pieces and put together as much (or as little) of this as I wanted. Perhaps I thought it would sell out, or perhaps I thought I would like more of it. In fact, I have no major issue with what you see in the "right out of the box" photo, and that could work very well as a base for some kitbashing. The cloak and disk also have a lot of potential, and while the horned helmet is unabashedly fantasy, it is not egregiously implausible for a more ceremonial sort of piece. While beautifully executed, the shoulder guards are not only too fantastical (which is ultimately a matter of personal taste in cases like this) but functionally bewildering; much the same could be said of the greaves and vambraces, but at least those can be put on and will stay on. The axe is impossibly over-the-top for me, but what bothers me more is the absence of additional and alternative weapons -- a barbarian might be expected to be armed to the teeth. Perhaps an alternate, more realistic battle axe would have made sense. But certainly a dagger, some sort of sword, ideally a spear or javelin, maybe a bow and arrows, how about a shield (although I can just imagine what they'll do with that). I realize we cannot really expect to get all that in one set, but we ought to get some of it -- or at least something better than this axe. I suppose I will stop grinding it, except for the score. This will actually look a whole lot better than might be suggested by my complaints about aspects of this set above. One more positive to note is the value. Especially if you do not mind the flights of fancy and only have to worry about the functional problems, you will probably find that $164 (USD) for a higher-end set is actually not at all a bad price these days, when many companies have moved their product (which often has less to recommend it) well above $200.

Packaging - 4/4 stars
Sculpt - 4/4 stars
Paint - 4/4 stars
Articulation - 4/4 stars
Accessories - 1/4 stars (questionable functionality, limited and questionable weapons)
Outfit - 2/4 stars (questionable functionality)
Fun Factor - 3/4 stars (sometimes difficult to balance, limited and questionable weapons)
Value - 4/4 stars ($164 USD, plus shipping)
Overall - 3.25/4 stars

TBLeague Barbarian Soul Review (updated March 9) Tblbar24

Where to buy? While you can search the net on your own, my usual go-to places in the states would be:
Big Bad Toy Store $170
Cotswold Collectibles $170
Monkey Depot $170
Timewalker Toys this is where I got mine, but it looks to be sold out at present

Extra photos in Post 16 and Post 27.

As always, what do you think?

#tbleague #phicen #fantasy #warrior #barbarian #soul #male

Tjolnir

Tjolnir
thanks for the review.
apart from the fact that my wallet is being drained by other figures right now, the main reason i gave this one an easy pass is the fact that it wouldn't fit any "popular" barbarian scenario i could think off. to high fantasy for a conan diorama, not goofy enough for the 80s mockup with the two barbarian twins, nor copying any of skyrims style to go as an antagonist to the "recent" dragonborn character. with a lot of good will i'd put him between diablo 3 and the upcoming fourth part, even if he looks tiny compared to the version depicted in both.

as for armor and axe it could vaguely pass as a barbarian "set" given the overall cartoonish look and skull theme, wheras if someone disliked the idea of him proudly displaying the 3 children's skulls on his belt, they could have been goblins or some small humanoid critter you level up with in the first act or second.

still it looks like a thirteen year olds idea of a "barbarian" and even if the quality of the headsculpt was okay i don't think i would have gone for the love child of vin diesel and dwayne johnson.
if the intention was to copy or look akin to the diablo universe, the typical old, scarred look would have been endlessly more suitable, and copyright aside if they'd gone with the diablo 2 original look, head armor and stuff, i would have had a severe case of "shut up and take my money" Wink

Valiarde

Valiarde
Thank you very much for the review. This was also a figure I thought about getting because the price was good and it looked nice - but in the end I only ordered the helmet. Smile If I knew about the secret shoulder helmet, this version would have been cheaper haha

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Thanks for the review— now I have less interest in this figure as a whole. I think your presentation is fair. I like your solutions to all of the “snap on” elements better than their original purpose — particularly the shoulder piece now being a helmet.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

TBLeague Barbarian Soul Review (updated March 9) C8485110

Diana

Diana
@shoulder guard Laughing
Shame about the shoulder guard resisting re-attachment, but he looks amazing! I can forgive lack of realism quite easily and nothing in that regard bothers me in this figure. I've seen bigger axes in this genre of fantasy. Smile

I think many of these things/figures/character designs need to be viewed as being symbolic. Suspension of disbelief helps with the enjoyment. And such a big axe would be symbolic for his strength and brutality, naturally. He is such a beast of a man I am sure he wields it with great proficiency. Smile

The little skulls are clearly... uh... in this fantasy world they have these fierce and vicious little monkeys that attack in hordes! Very dangerous! And probably delicious, too!

Great review as always! Thank you!

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks for the review, GF. I had no personal investment in this one, other than maybe the tatoo'd body (but only if I'd had the funds to spare, which I did not).

I can see your gripes about realism, but things like skulls and the axe don't bother me as much as just the overall aesthetic, which feels just too....busy to me. For lack of better description. This seems to be an issue with tbleague at this present moment, as I had the same reaction to one of their recently announced armoured female figures. The parts on their own were kind of cool and were quite well done (intricately sculpted and nicely painted, etc), but put together it all just seems a bit too much. And in the case of this fellow, I am somewhat unconvinced by the use of all this 'Norse' aesthetic mixed with the more cheesy sword and sworcery barbarian stuff. It just doesn't work for me. I feel like this is a 'pick one aesthetic and stick with it' situation, but tbleague just decided to shove it all into a blender and hope for the best. Razz

But anyhow, the axe and the skulls should at least be fairly easy fixes, you can just cut the hanging skulls off and switch him to a more functional sword or something.

The faux fur actually looks quite well done, and more convincing than some (like the stuff on that Mr Toys Conan, for instance). So, there seems to at least be some quality here, even if several elements of the design leave a lot to be desired.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Illusion

Illusion
Thanks a lot for this review.
I had not seen anything of this guy before. Interesting figure - though not fully up my alley.
Quite a busy design, I agree.
But I would not mind. Neither do I mind non-functional stuff. As long as I like it, anything is allowed in "my world". That's the idea of it being "my" world. Laughing

Talking about axes... just thinking of this huge something the VTS Toys Bloodhunter is wielding. I made it a point to remember it whenever I should not be able to find my comb.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I'm thinking of posting a mock-up of how I plan to kit out/display this guy soon. As to specific comments, thank you (always nice to see what others think after a review),

Tjolnir wrote:thanks for the review. apart from the fact that my wallet is being drained by other figures right now, the main reason i gave this one an easy pass is the fact that it wouldn't fit any "popular" barbarian scenario i could think off. to high fantasy for a conan diorama, not goofy enough for the 80s mockup with the two barbarian twins, nor copying any of skyrims style to go as an antagonist to the "recent" dragonborn character. with a lot of good will i'd put him between diablo 3 and the upcoming fourth part, even if he looks tiny compared to the version depicted in both.

as for armor and axe it could vaguely pass as a barbarian "set" given the overall cartoonish look and skull theme, wheras if someone disliked the idea of him proudly displaying the 3 children's skulls on his belt, they could have been goblins or some small humanoid critter you level up with in the first act or second.

still it looks like a thirteen year olds idea of a "barbarian" and even if the quality of the headsculpt was okay i don't think i would have gone for the love child of vin diesel and dwayne johnson. if the intention was to copy or look akin to the diablo universe, the typical old, scarred look would have been endlessly more suitable, and copyright aside if they'd gone with the diablo 2 original look, head armor and stuff, i would have had a severe case of "shut up and take my money" Wink

Welcome. I looked it up, and I see what you mean about the diablo universe. There is some potential inspiration there, but if that's what they were going for, they ended up with something quite different (I post an image to illustrate what I'm thinking of below). Thank you for spotting the pedigree of the sculpt -- I was trying to think who it reminded me of, thought it had some of the Rock in it, but you may be right that the other "parent" was Vin. Smile It didn't even occur to me these could be children's skulls. Maybe he is a really harsh tutor in his village. You are right to point out the dissonance between this and other barbarian sets like the Dragonborn warrior or the ones by Mr Toys. There is some continuity in style to their fantasy female warriors, at least some of them.
TBLeague Barbarian Soul Review (updated March 9) 6xFW6ab

Valiarde wrote:Thank you very much for the review. This was also a figure I thought about getting because the price was good and it looked nice - but in the end I only ordered the helmet. Smile If I knew about the secret shoulder helmet, this version would have been cheaper haha

Welcome. That's how it started -- I thought, nah, I don't like the set as a whole enough to buy as such, but if I get the parted-out helmet, clothes, body, head, and... might as well get the set... Smile Glad you liked my alternative helmet (two looks).

Stryker2011 wrote:Thanks for the review— now I have less interest in this figure as a whole. I think your presentation is fair. I like your solutions to all of the “snap on” elements better than their original purpose — particularly the shoulder piece now being a helmet.

Welcome and thank you. Sorry to turn you off the set, but glad if it helps you save your money for something you'd rather have. Or focus on the pieces you might want. Glad you liked my alternative helmet(s) and groin-guard disk Smile

Diana wrote:@shoulder guard Laughing Shame about the shoulder guard resisting re-attachment, but he looks amazing! I can forgive lack of realism quite easily and nothing in that regard bothers me in this figure. I've seen bigger axes in this genre of fantasy. Smile

I think many of these things/figures/character designs need to be viewed as being symbolic. Suspension of disbelief helps with the enjoyment. And such a big axe would be symbolic for his strength and brutality, naturally. He is such a beast of a man I am sure he wields it with great proficiency. Smile

The little skulls are clearly... uh... in this fantasy world they have these fierce and vicious little monkeys that attack in hordes! Very dangerous! And probably delicious, too! Great review as always! Thank you!

Welcome and thank you. I fully confess my own limitations when it comes to this -- some lack of imagination or appreciation for the more fantastical stuff as a whole, and some realism-craving baggage that may color my review. I'm happy that you can look past these things that annoy me and appreciate the set for what it is. I think in and of themselves, many of these things look great, and are certainly very well done (except for the functionality of the attachments). I will try to keep in mind the fierce and vicious, yet delicious, monkeys for future reference when it comes to tiny skulls. Smile

skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks for the review, GF. I had no personal investment in this one, other than maybe the tatoo'd body (but only if I'd had the funds to spare, which I did not). I can see your gripes about realism, but things like skulls and the axe don't bother me as much as just the overall aesthetic, which feels just too....busy to me. For lack of better description. This seems to be an issue with tbleague at this present moment, as I had the same reaction to one of their recently announced armoured female figures. The parts on their own were kind of cool and were quite well done (intricately sculpted and nicely painted, etc), but put together it all just seems a bit too much. And in the case of this fellow, I am somewhat unconvinced by the use of all this 'Norse' aesthetic mixed with the more cheesy sword and sworcery barbarian stuff. It just doesn't work for me. I feel like this is a 'pick one aesthetic and stick with it' situation, but tbleague just decided to shove it all into a blender and hope for the best. Razz

But anyhow, the axe and the skulls should at least be fairly easy fixes, you can just cut the hanging skulls off and switch him to a more functional sword or something. The faux fur actually looks quite well done, and more convincing than some (like the stuff on that Mr Toys Conan, for instance). So, there seems to at least be some quality here, even if several elements of the design leave a lot to be desired.

Welcome. The tattooed body has been parted out (Monkey Depot at least) and was one of the first things to sell out the first time they did it. It's a perfectly good M35, only difference is that it is tattooed and you don't get some of the things you would get in a based body set (feet, male members). I see what you mean about the overall aesthetic looking overly busy. That is true. Not only overall, but sometimes even within a single piece (like the greaves and vambraces). I think this is exacerbated by the overly natural appearance they gave to things that didn't need to look natural -- like the strangely-sized skull elements integrated into the armor. And I agree this carries over to/from other TBLeague fantasy sets. It is not limited to this company or this scale. I think if you compare some of the old swords-and-sandals films with some of the new ones (like Troy, etc), you would see that there, too. Technically some of that is justified, but I don't think TBLeague has got the right balance. Unless of course it is just recreating some other design (like ARH's or Sideshow's) that happens to already look like that -- I don't think this is the case with this set. I also agree that there seems to be some mixing and matching (or mismatching) of different styles, which doesn't help me appreciate the set as much, but as we have established, I'm a bit short on fantasy. The skulls simply don't need to be attached, though now we have been given better explanations for them (children, monkeys). The faux fur is truly realistic (even to handle), sometimes a little hard to manage, but I appreciate it, too.

Illusion wrote:Thanks a lot for this review. I had not seen anything of this guy before. Interesting figure - though not fully up my alley.
Quite a busy design, I agree. But I would not mind. Neither do I mind non-functional stuff. As long as I like it, anything is allowed in "my world". That's the idea of it being "my" world. Laughing Talking about axes... just thinking of this huge something the VTS Toys Bloodhunter is wielding. I made it a point to remember it whenever I should not be able to find my comb.

Welcome. Glad you "discovered" it here. Busy design has a place, but has to be done right -- I think (partly subconsciously) it is the lack of a certain level of uniformity of style that throws us off here. Yes, I agree that there are very fantastical weapons, but again in my mind there is an off-putting lack of balance between the realism of the face, body, and some of the outfit, and what I would associate more with the exaggeration you might find in a comic book or video game. Speaking of which, that may be my problem -- I am not immersed in those, and they may be the driving inspiration for TBLeague. Before you get any ideas for using this axe as a comb, note that the little kinks on its edge all show a little bit of blood! I can't decide if throwing in this detail is neat or silly. Wink

Illusion

Illusion
I am perfectly with you.
Sometimes, the design just doesn‘t work. Might be different for someone else. But it is all about our personal feeling. And if there is a certain expectation of more or less realism, some things simply do not work. (I am just quite tolerant. I can like totally crazy stuff and dislike very realistic, straight designs of a similar theme.)

as for the comb: I was referring to this „saw“ (no axe - remembered that wrong. Sorry)
https://www.space-figuren.de/Archiv/1-6-Scale-Hunters-Saw-Cleaver-Blunderbuss-Arsenal-Set-Bloodborne-The-Old-Hunters::14867.html
My poor Hunter has not received a lot of attention yet. Crying or Very sad

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Illusion wrote:I am perfectly with you. Sometimes, the design just doesn‘t work. Might be different for someone else. But it is all about our personal feeling. And if there is a certain expectation of more or less realism, some things simply do not work. (I am just quite tolerant. I can like totally crazy stuff and dislike very realistic, straight designs of a similar theme.)

as for the comb: I was referring to this „saw“ (no axe - remembered that wrong. Sorry)
https://www.space-figuren.de/Archiv/1-6-Scale-Hunters-Saw-Cleaver-Blunderbuss-Arsenal-Set-Bloodborne-The-Old-Hunters::14867.html
My poor Hunter has not received a lot of attention yet.  Crying or Very sad

Ah, yes, an impressive piece, and I'd say arguably less fantastical than the TBLeague axe. Is the linked figure your creation? Or are you talking of another hunter?

Ovy

Ovy
Wow yeah that was one special figure, remember him from being announced. Mostly because of the weird children's heads he is wearing, very creepy.

Otherwise.....yeah it is exactly what you expect. I think the helmet can be trimmed down for two great drinking horns. And I wouldn't wonder about the tattoo, I mean look at his perfectly plucked eyebrows and waxed body. I think he will be a good side character to your Conan(s).

Illusion

Illusion
GubernatorFan wrote:...

Ah, yes, an impressive piece, and I'd say arguably less fantastical than the TBLeague axe. Is the linked figure your creation? Or are you talking of another hunter?

it is the VTS Toys Blood Hunter.
https://www.space-figuren.de/Archiv/1-6-Scale-Blood-Hunter::15937.html
Yesterday I tried to find a pic to him with his saw, but did not succeed. So, here is just another link to a sales entry.
I do have him, but he has not received much attention yet, though he is really cool and I am happy he is here.

Just chuckling at Ovy‘s withering remarks... the poor guy is only trying to look good...

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
Nice review, enjoyable read. Thanks.

Diana wrote:
The little skulls are clearly... uh... in this fantasy world they have these fierce and vicious little monkeys that attack in hordes! Very dangerous! And probably delicious, too!
lol! Don't underestimate the monkeys!

Valiarde

Valiarde
Illusion wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:...

it is the VTS Toys Blood Hunter.
https://www.space-figuren.de/Archiv/1-6-Scale-Blood-Hunter::15937.html
Yesterday I tried to find a pic to him with his saw, but did not succeed. So, here is just another link to a sales entry.
I do have him, but he has not received much attention yet, though he is really cool and I am happy he is here.

Just chuckling at Ovy‘s withering remarks... the poor guy is only trying to look good...

Blood Hunter is the best!

TBLeague Barbarian Soul Review (updated March 9) Dsc06714

But it is not the weapon I prefer on him lol

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ovy wrote:Wow yeah that was one special figure, remember him from being announced. Mostly because of the weird children's heads he is wearing, very creepy.

Otherwise.....yeah it is exactly what you expect. I think the helmet can be trimmed down for two great drinking horns. And I wouldn't wonder about the tattoo, I mean look at his perfectly plucked eyebrows and waxed body. I think he will be a good side character to your Conan(s).

Hmmm, now you got me thinking I should have gotten a parted-out helmet. Smile I was thinking of giving him a drinking horn, but didn't think of this as a plausible source.

Illusion wrote:it is the VTS Toys Blood Hunter. I do have him, but he has not received much attention yet, though he is really cool and I am happy he is here. Just chuckling at Ovy‘s withering remarks... the poor guy is only trying to look good...

Ah, thanks for the explanation. I actually happened to see some of this parted out just yesterday. Yes, Ovy, stop being so mean. Even barbarians have feelings and try to look good! Smile

TravelGuide wrote:Nice review, enjoyable read. Thanks. lol! Don't underestimate the monkeys!

Thank you very much, glad you liked it.

Valiarde wrote:Blood Hunter is the best! But it is not the weapon I prefer on him lol

Cool image.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
I haven't had time to come up with an elaborate and "final" upgrade to the set, but I think I like this toned-down version better.

TBLeague Barbarian Soul Review (updated March 9) Tblbar25

What do you think?

BAMComix

BAMComix
Great looking figure! Love the sculpt and all his kit! Thanks for sharing!

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I like the toned down version, Ian, but I would probably still use the helmet since it’s so cool (my favorite part of the whole set).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

TBLeague Barbarian Soul Review (updated March 9) C8485110

Valiarde

Valiarde
That looks like a great final image, good figure! I'm with Stryker, the helmet is my favourite part. But looks impressive overall! Cool background for the pic here too

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
He is already looking soooo much better! I feel like a 'real hair' job would be the perfect touch. But no pressure or anything. Razz

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
BAMComix wrote:Great looking figure! Love the sculpt and all his kit! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked it.

Stryker2011 wrote:I like the toned down version, Ian, but I would probably still use the helmet since it’s so cool (my favorite part of the whole set).

Valiarde wrote:That looks like a great final image, good figure! I'm with Stryker, the helmet is my favourite part. But looks impressive overall! Cool background for the pic here too

Thank you guys, glad you approve. And don't worry, I haven't given up on the helmet(s). The background is just my computer screen (glad I went big, should have gone bigger).

skywalkersaga wrote:He is already looking soooo much better! I feel like a 'real hair' job would be the perfect touch. But no pressure or anything. Razz

Thank you very much. You mean replace the (I presume) synthetic hair with real hair? Or you didn't realize this is "real" hair? It's a basic braid but I'm not sure my braiding skills even exist... Smile

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Looks good, I'm glad I wasn the only one that noticed the child skulls. He looks like a mixture between something from ESO and Warcraft, maybe a death knight nord of the imperial stormwind or something. 😀

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! TBLeague Barbarian Soul Review (updated March 9) 1f60e

BAD WOLF-787

BAD WOLF-787
Great looking figure and review!

I've been considering getting some lose parts from him (like the horned helmet) and the Sideshow Collectibles Wonder Woman to build a Wonder Woman the Goddess of War figure.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Theboo-bomb wrote:Looks good, I'm glad I wasn the only one that noticed the child skulls. He looks like a mixture between something from ESO and Warcraft, maybe a death knight nord of the imperial stormwind or something. 😀

Thank you. As usual, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to games, but I trust your expertise to find/make a connection.

BAD WOLF-787 wrote:Great looking figure and review! I've been considering getting some lose parts from him (like the horned helmet) and the Sideshow Collectibles Wonder Woman to build a Wonder Woman the Goddess of War figure.

Thank you very much. It is a very impressive helmet. Pretty tight, too, so it might not be too big for a Wonder Woman head.

csyeung

csyeung
Thanks for the detailed review! I like your toned down version. I wonder how they put the tattoo on the chest. Maybe a waterslide decal? Looks very clean.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 2]

Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum