OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague PL2021-180 Imperial Guardian 1/12 Scale figure (Part 1)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down  Message [Page 3 of 4]

TravelGuide

Thanks for the pics! They do look nice. Great detail for such small figures.

Diana wrote:
I'm not sure whether that white skirt was already dirty. That could have been my bad. But I like it so it doesn't matter. Laughing
I assume it was, because at the 1/6 version the skirt was also dirtied up.

suo76

Thanks for the pictures, Diana. That really helps with the decision to buy some of these. Laughing

Xavion2004

I was very surprised to return home last night from a visit to the in-laws and find a package from Giantoy at the front door.

I  wasn’t expecting them until Monday.   I got the same two that Diana did, so I really don’t have anything to add.  My in-hand impressions are pretty much the same as my initial impressions when I saw Diana’s pics.  The armor is very well done.  The pieces fit together beautifully while allowing a full range of motion.  The clothing is well made with proper hems and stitching.  The paint from the faces to the individual pieces of armor are nice and clean.

The size of the weapons (too big) and the hair (too short) are the only drawbacks for me.  With respect for the latter, I just gave the silver version a warm rinse and I’m allowing it to set.  I think I can get a look I’m happy with.

I definitely prefer the Golden version over the Silver.   She has a little more personality in her sculpt and her hair is a bit longer.  I also like black and gold color scheme better.   As Diana noted, the white skirt on the Silver version looks like she’s been making sandcastles at the beach.   TBL went for that same “weathered” look with the Silver Spartan Commander, so it must be intentional.

I’m happy with my purchase, but I don’t feel compelled to rush out and buy the rest.   I want to see some in-hand pics first.  If the head-sculpt, hair, and overall look on one or more of the others really stands out then I’m in.  Otherwise I’m happy with the two I have.

GeeWillikers

The ones I preordered are taking forever to reach me.

Shipped out by GianToy on the 3rd, and still not in the UK yet.  Evil or Very Mad

Also waiting impatiently on the Worldbox 'Butcher' figure and a custom piece from Etsy.

@###!!"@ this supply chain madness! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
Here’s a really nice look at all six head sculpts:

Imperial Guardians Head Sculpts

C and F look REALLY nice. Great news for Diana, and now I’m sorely tempted to get them as well.

GeeWillikers

GeeWillikers
Xavion2004 wrote:Here’s a really nice look at all six head sculpts:

Imperial Guardians Head Sculpts

C and F look REALLY nice.  Great news for Diana, and now I’m sorely tempted to get them as well.

F is very cute, but slightly undersized (or at least smaller than D which is the other Impy Guardian I bought). It ends up causing a slight 'giraffe neck' effect, but to be fair while it's noticeable it's nothing too extreme and actually adds to its cuteness.

(Yeah, they turned up eventually, along with the other missing stuff, after UK customs had had a nice long play with them for a fortnight Neutral )

Incidentally, the hair on both of mine isn't particularly 'choppy', certainly not as bad as in those pics.

Diana

Diana
Oooh! Good find! Thank you for the link!
Those photos really show off the differences between the sculpts. Nice!

I'm glad I skipped D and E now. I hope C will look better in hand and in costume. F does look gorgeous, even in these not very flattering photos! Smile

C and F were just delivered apparently, so pics will soon follow! Very Happy

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
Diana wrote:C and F were just delivered apparently, so pics will soon follow! Very Happy

YAY!!!!

I wonder how the hair is actually done? Is it cut before or after going on the head? (I’d guess after.). Is it cut by machine or hand (I’d guess by hand). There may be quite a bit of varation from figure to figure depending on how it’s done.

The two I have are fine. I would prefer the hair to be longer like the prototypes, but it’s not bad. I tried putting one of the helmets on last night, and found it to be very challenging. I gave up pretty quickly, because I don’t have any desire to leave the helmets on. I just wanted ti see what it looked like.

Diana

Diana
They have arrived. I clearly need to fix some hairs, but these were the first quick shots:

NEW PRODUCT:  TBLeague PL2021-180 Imperial Guardian 1/12 Scale figure (Part 1) - Page 3 0149
NEW PRODUCT:  TBLeague PL2021-180 Imperial Guardian 1/12 Scale figure (Part 1) - Page 3 0253
NEW PRODUCT:  TBLeague PL2021-180 Imperial Guardian 1/12 Scale figure (Part 1) - Page 3 0351
NEW PRODUCT:  TBLeague PL2021-180 Imperial Guardian 1/12 Scale figure (Part 1) - Page 3 0449
NEW PRODUCT:  TBLeague PL2021-180 Imperial Guardian 1/12 Scale figure (Part 1) - Page 3 0549
NEW PRODUCT:  TBLeague PL2021-180 Imperial Guardian 1/12 Scale figure (Part 1) - Page 3 0648
NEW PRODUCT:  TBLeague PL2021-180 Imperial Guardian 1/12 Scale figure (Part 1) - Page 3 0746
NEW PRODUCT:  TBLeague PL2021-180 Imperial Guardian 1/12 Scale figure (Part 1) - Page 3 0845
NEW PRODUCT:  TBLeague PL2021-180 Imperial Guardian 1/12 Scale figure (Part 1) - Page 3 0944
NEW PRODUCT:  TBLeague PL2021-180 Imperial Guardian 1/12 Scale figure (Part 1) - Page 3 1040
NEW PRODUCT:  TBLeague PL2021-180 Imperial Guardian 1/12 Scale figure (Part 1) - Page 3 1139
NEW PRODUCT:  TBLeague PL2021-180 Imperial Guardian 1/12 Scale figure (Part 1) - Page 3 1233
NEW PRODUCT:  TBLeague PL2021-180 Imperial Guardian 1/12 Scale figure (Part 1) - Page 3 1327
NEW PRODUCT:  TBLeague PL2021-180 Imperial Guardian 1/12 Scale figure (Part 1) - Page 3 1424

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
Thanks for the pics. They look good, the armour seems nicely detailed and weathered. The hair of the blackhaired one need some attention though.

The only thing I don't like about these figures is the tying lace on the back. It makes them stand out as small models on the pics.

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
Thanks for the pics, Diana! F is now a must buy.  I’m still on the fence with C.  I love the dark hair and light eyes, but it’s just not all coming together like it does on F.  That face on F is just gorgeous.

TravelGuide wrote:The only thing I don't like about these figures is the tying lace on the back. It makes them stand out as small models on the pics.

Yeah, it’s a little annoying. I really…REALLY…don’t like laces, so not having to deal with them is usually one of the big pluses of 1/12 for me.  I’m not sure why they used them here.  At least they’re done for you out of the box and there’s plenty of room to shorten them so that they’re not nearly as noticeable and more in scale.  I just haven’t felt like messing with them.

suo76

Thanks for the pictures again. The black armor doesn't look as nice as I thought, but the bronze armor is really good. I wonder how the 1/12 little humans look next to the 1/6 egyptian fantasy gods... scratch

Diana

Diana
The ties can actually be tucked back and keep their position really well! I just didn't pay attention until after the shoot.

Another photo shoot will follow soon with all four, as well as all four weapons. I also want to see one of those swords in the hands of a 1/6! Laughing

F is gorgeous, but I really like the black version (C), her look and "personality"!
I do wonder whether she'd look better with a grey or even black dress... but I actually don't care enough to mess with the costume.

davidd

davidd
These look impressively detailed for tiny 1/12 scale figures. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the two I finally broke down and ordered - the "D" and "E" versions - which are currently delayed in postal limbo somewhere in New York.

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
davidd wrote:These look impressively detailed for tiny 1/12 scale figures. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the two I finally broke down and ordered - the "D" and "E" versions - which are currently delayed in postal limbo somewhere in New York.
They probably want to do some sightseeing, or visit some bars.

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
davidd wrote:These look impressively detailed for tiny 1/12 scale figures. I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of the two I finally broke down and ordered - the "D" and "E" versions - which are currently delayed in postal limbo somewhere in New York.

D and E are the only ones we haven’t seen yet, so it’s cool that you’re getting them. It does take a few days for 4XP packages to get through that New York/New Jersey gauntlet, but they move pretty fast after that.

suo76

This is D then...

NEW PRODUCT:  TBLeague PL2021-180 Imperial Guardian 1/12 Scale figure (Part 1) - Page 3 20211215
NEW PRODUCT:  TBLeague PL2021-180 Imperial Guardian 1/12 Scale figure (Part 1) - Page 3 20211213
NEW PRODUCT:  TBLeague PL2021-180 Imperial Guardian 1/12 Scale figure (Part 1) - Page 3 20211214

Diana

Diana
WOW! I actually kinda really like her! I love how bright that orange is! Very Happy Laughing
And her expression doesn't look quite as soft as it did in the promos.

Not sure I'd be happy displaying her with the others. She shines so bright that she needs her own little universe. Wink

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Very nice for that scale. Looks like I imagine one of my neighbor did in her younger years.

Kallor8

Diana, or anyone with an Imperial Guardian 1/12 handy that has a free moment, would you mind taking off the shin and knee guard on one of yours and looking at what it says on the back regarding left/right leg instruction?  You'll probably have to shine a light inside the shin piece to see the R/L near the top inside.

My figure seems to be instructing me opposite to the promo pictures and how you would logically think they would go together, knee guard predominantly down and shins curving outward rather than inward:

[url=https://servimg.com/view/20375160/2]NEW PRODUCT:  TBLeague PL2021-180 Imperial Guardian 1/12 Scale figure (Part 1) - Page 3 20220110

I'm just curious if mine are uniquely mislabeled or TBL manufacturing is on a different page than their photographers haha.

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
Interesting. I never know they were marked in any way. I took the knee and shin guards off the left leg of one of my Imperial Guardians (Gold) and sure enough, they had little “L”s inside them. I needed a light and a magnifying glass getting old sucks. Razz

One good rule of thumb on the shin guards is that the buckles should be on the outside of the legs.

Kallor8

Xavion2004 wrote:Interesting.  I never know they were marked in any way.  I took the knee and shin guards off the left leg of one of my Imperial Guardians (Gold) and sure enough, they had little “L”s inside them.  I needed a light and a magnifying glass getting old sucks.  Razz

One good rule of thumb on the shin guards is that the buckles should be on the outside of the legs.

Oh I know how to get them looking right, I was just surprised to see that the markings on mine were telling me the opposite. I was just curious how widespread it was.

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
Kallor8 wrote:
Oh I know how to get them looking right, I was just surprised to see that the markings on mine were telling me the opposite.  I was just curious how widespread it was.

Got it. That is odd. I wonder if it’s version specific?

Diana

Diana
I just checked my black guardian. The parts I placed on her left leg are labeled "R".
I also remember struggling mildly, because the parts that were placed on her left side in the box are the ones I eventually placed on her right leg, or similar. I don't remember whether that was with all of them or which one, because after the first (gold) I just went by design and stopped relying on the placement in the box.

davidd

davidd
I wonder if the parts are labeled by how the user looks at the figure - from a front view, the figure's left side is to the user's right. Perhaps the labeling is for "screen right, screen left" as opposed to "right arm, left leg."

davidd

davidd
Finally got around to opening one of my two Imperial Guardians. This is the "D" version. TBLeague calls it "blue" – go figure. (There is a slight blue cast to the armor.)

NEW PRODUCT:  TBLeague PL2021-180 Imperial Guardian 1/12 Scale figure (Part 1) - Page 3 51946894181_df23128d13_z

This is a heavily app-centuated photo. The light was not great when I snapped this pic, so I tried to salvage it by cheating with iPad apps.

The figure is okay, I guess. I mean, it's nicely detailed. It actually looks like the promo pictures. The pieces all went together with nothing breaking.

But... it cost me nearly a hundred bucks, and... it's a tiny little thing that just stands there. Sure, it looks kinda cool, but... maybe I'm really starting to get old. A hundred dollars used to be a significant amount of money. I realize that today it's not; a trip to the grocery store for "a few items" can easily punch a major hole in a C-note. I think I've mentioned before that McDonald's used to advertise "and change back from your dollar," but now it's "a twenty might not cover it."

The list price for even relatively simple 1/6 scale seamless figures now seems to start in the $180+ range, with more detailed new releases having list prices in the $300 and even $400 range. Compared to prices like that... a hundred clams still seems like kind of a lot for such a tiny little doll with plastic parts and nylon hair.

If I could get past the price, I'd be pleasantly impressed by the level of detail in this figure, and that the helmet actually fits on the head without looking ginormously out of scale.

The issue, then, is with me and my old-fashioned perceptions of value. What do I think a figure like this should cost? I dunno - forty bucks? But a playline doll in Walmart costs thirty bucks now.

I think the reality is that I'm getting too old for this hobby. I'm feeling foolish for spending a hundred dollars on a tiny doll that... I mean... what am I going to do with it?

I'm glad I didn't buy all six of them. While an "army" of Imperial Guardians would certainly look cool, I'd have a hard time seeing them as anything other than "that's over half a grand!"

Because I remember when a thousand dollars also meant something.

Is anyone else starting to feel overwhelmed by 'sticker shock' these days, or am I the only one whose income is seemingly not keeping up with the prices of things?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Personally I'm not a fan of the set(s), but your photograph, Dave, is very cool. And the pun was cute too. Smile

davidd

davidd
GubernatorFan wrote:Personally I'm not a fan of the set(s)....

We each have our own "hang-ups" when it comes to figures, don't we? Razz Mine is price. Yours is historical accuracy, or lack there-of, on "historical" figures. I will admit to finding the topics about armored figures and historical figures on this forum highly entertaining, and occasionally educational, as various members weigh in with critiques and opinions on the historical accuracy.

TravelGuide

TravelGuide
davidd wrote:
Is anyone else starting to feel overwhelmed by 'sticker shock' these days, or am I the only one whose income is seemingly not keeping up with the prices of things?
Luckily I live in the Netherlands, where all the prices were reset (halved) in 2002 with the introduction of the Euro. So I've just got to cope with 20 years of inflation Smile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 4]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum