OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Pre-Orders -- How bad is the damage report?

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Diana

itt wrote:Hmm, good to see so many fellow addicts in here… Doesn’t make me feel so bad. Smile

Nice one! Excitingly different to mine, but roughly the same length. Definitely in good company. Laughing

Xavion2004

Xavion2004 wrote:My open preorders:

- Q4 2023 GAMETOYS GT007 (L from Death Note - DEPOSIT ONLY)
- Q4 2023 GAMETOYS GT008 (Light Yagami from Death Note - DEPOSIT ONLY)
- Q4 2023 GAMETOYS GT009 (Tifa from Final Fantasy - DEPOSIT ONLY)

I cancelled all three of these preorders yesterday.  I’m feeling both sad and relieved at the same time.   Even after my deposits, I was looking at 430 USD when the Death Note figures dropped and another 300 USD when Tifa dropped.  It was like waiting for a bomb to go off.

If I only collected 1/6, I probably wouldn’t feel so guilty, but on top of my 1/12 spending, I just can’t.

I’m not getting out of 1/6 completely.  I still have a lot of nice figures that I truly enjoy and appreciate, including the Super Duck Tifa which I still love.  I’m also not opposed to adding to my collection in the future, but I just can’t justify going much higher than 200 USD for a single 1/6 figure anymore, and at today’s prices, that definitely limits the playing field.

skywalkersaga

Aww, sorry for that. Though if it makes you feel any better, I had to cancel some of mine, too. I may have to cancel more when they come up if things don't look up for me, financially, soon. :/

lurpdog101

Yeah, I just went and pre-ordered 5 flagset Ukrainian figures...but think means will probably cancel my Hot Toys Ahsoka ones. Will also need to sell off a few bits too

https://www.hellblazerbiz.com

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
skywalkersaga wrote:Aww, sorry for that. Though if it makes you feel any better, I had to cancel some of mine, too. I may have to cancel more when they come up if things don't look up for me, financially, soon. :/

I hope you don’t have to cancel any more of your preorders. You’re always been very disciplined with your 1/6 spending as it is.

It’s hard with prices being what they are, though. Everything is going up. My wife and I went to Target last Saturday for cat litter, dog treats, batteries, and picture hanging hardware. 75 USD. It’s just insane, and I know it’s even worse outside of the States.

Don’t get me wrong. I consider myself very fortunate that I make a good living, and believe me, I still find money to spoil myself, but something has to give, and 350 USD action figures seems like a good place to start.

There are still good values to be found in 1/6, though. The Lara Croft I got earlier this year for something like $180 shipped is a very nice figure.

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
lurpdog101 wrote:Yeah, I just went and pre-ordered 5 flagset Ukrainian figures...but think means will probably cancel my Hot Toys Ahsoka ones. Will also need to sell off a few bits too

I need to sell off quite a few 1/6 figures and accessories that I no longer want or need as well.

I think this is where many of us are at now, though. The good news is that we can still buy toys. The bad news is that we just can’t buy as many (or as expensive) as we used to.

lurpdog101

lurpdog101
Xavion2004 wrote:
lurpdog101 wrote:Yeah, I just went and pre-ordered 5 flagset Ukrainian figures...but think means will probably cancel my Hot Toys Ahsoka ones. Will also need to sell off a few bits too

I need to sell off quite a few 1/6 figures and accessories that I no longer want or need as well.

I think this is where many of us are at now, though.  The good news is that we can still buy toys.  The bad news is that we just can’t buy as many (or as expensive) as we used to.
Yeah exactly. For me, I love the Hot Toys, I truly do, but I can (and do) enjoy military ones so much more as I can do more with them, create dioramas etc. Plus 5 flagset Ukrainians (who I've wanted to have figures of due to all the russian ones out there haha) ...2 of those shipped is still cheaper for me than one hot toys without shipping

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Xavion -- yeah, the constantly rising cost of living is really awful , especially in the UK.

So far I only cancelled the extra Vader, but I hope I don't have to cancel anything else. Fingers crossed.

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

Visisonor

Visisonor
I've also cancelled three preorders recently (though this "recently" actually spans a year or so).
All of them happen to be Mezco figures.

The first is the Snyder Cut 3-pack. In-hand pictures of The Flash were so disappointing that I've forfeited the deposit (bulky armor pieces completely limiting torso articulation, and that on top of exposed elbow and knee joints). Superman and Batman from this pack look decent, but the version from BMS with custom head ticks the black suit cinematic Superman checkbox for me, and Affleck Batman ("Batfleck") is already represented on my shelf by tactical suit figure also from Mezco.

The other two - Doctor Doom and The Batman portrayed by Robert Pattinson ("Battinson") - were placed through a store which went out of business (nor NRD for them, at least). There was enough time to preorder them again, but I didn't, which hints then I can live without them.

Doom is out now. Seems to look great, featuring metallic armor pieces and several heads. But I don't have strong enough attachment to this character.
And the Batman - Mezco makes great Batman figures, but with so many of them I feel like that's sufficient for now.

Diana

Diana
I am resisting the cancellation of L and Light for now, but mostly because I hope that selling them once they get here will save me the loss of the deposit. I don't think I'll keep them and I'd rather go through the hassle of selling them than lose the deposit. -.- 

Overall my life is taking a turn in the near future (moving house, starting a business type stuff) and I'll be rearranging my priorities. I will keep collecting, but I'll be even more picky. L and Light, sadly, don't make the cut. Aragorn, Ahsoka, Mace Windu... they do. Smile

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
Visisonor - I only have two Mezco figures:   Dr. Fate (best birthday present ever from my kids) and the Crow.  I really like both of them, but I know Mezco can be very hit or miss.  I didn’t know Doom was out.  I don’t plan on picking him up, but I would like to watch some reviews.

I know what you mean about the Mezco Batman figures.  There’s always a new and/or better version of popular characters being released, but after a while, you just have to be able to say “I’m good.”  That’s kind of where I’m at with Tifa.  The GameToys version looks to be definitive, but I just can’t justify spending $350 for “definitive” when I already have “pretty darn good”.

Diana - I don’t think you’ll have any problem making your money back on L and Light, even in today’s economy.   Whatever stock online sellers have left of GameToy figures after filling preorders sells out immediately, and then prices skyrocket on the secondary market.  I remember trying to get a GameToys Cloud for a decent price, but I couldn’t find one.

I tried to sell myself on the “don’t forfeit your deposit, just flip the figures” strategy, but I know myself too well.   My lazy butt is already sitting on a pile of figures that I need to sell.  Adding more to the pile would just do more harm than good in terms of motivation.

It’s too bad, because Death Note is my favorite anime.  I do have very nice versions of Light and Ryuk from a defunct figma style 1/12 line called Figutto, but they didn’t last long enough to get to L.  I’m hoping that with Death Note’s enduring popularity, another line like S.H. Figuarts will pick up the license at some point.

Best wishes for your future plans! Sounds exciting!

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
I have, like many of you, also scaled back (not that I had a ton to start). I'm limiting myself to a single line for 1/6th (the IconiQ Street Fighter line), and only pre-ordering other 1/6th things if the price is right (like a head sculpt here, a clothing set there, a body I will use for a custom). I have shifted my pre-ordering to more figurines than anything, but that works out well because they average $40 and not $240 if you shop the right brands. The Yotsuba figurine I showed in the latest purchase thread was only $140 and is by far my most expensive pre-order not named Ken Masters for the foreseeable future. I get to enjoy my fav characters, and not make my wallet cry.

It catches up though in my "oh, I can use this ___________ in a custom!" purchases though  Pre-Orders -- How bad is the damage report? - Page 4 1f605

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
I still (wisely or not) make POs, though considering a recent events in my life… it’s probably a waste of time and money; but I have scaled back on any miscellaneous purchases to the point of them being nonexistent. The rising costs are making it hard to justify buying toys for $300 +. I’ll pay that for something like the InArt Gandalf, which is more like a custom, but once HT figures reach the $300 mark, I’m probably out. The manufacturers in this hobby are clearly catering to people with a LOT of disposable income, or the very foolish willing to go into debt.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Pre-Orders -- How bad is the damage report? - Page 4 1f10

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
* hugs * Stryker. Sorry things in your life are so rough. Sad I get what you're saying though. There reaches a point where the price is just too high for a mass produced collectible. After I finish this run of POs, I would ideally like to shift away from Hot Toys to solely making custom figures that I can create at my own pace when I can afford the parts, materials, and/or commissions.

This hobby should be fun, and PO's are just getting too stressful in these uncertain times.

davidd

davidd
Hmmm... it seems that finances and circumstances have become trying for a number of us on the forum. This is unfortunate.

Perhaps we can hold out hope that if this apparent trend is more generalized, the law of supply and demand will kick in at some point and prices will soften. More likely, quality will decline instead.

I was recently able to scrounge up the funds to pay off a pre-order that has not yet been released and for which I had only put down a deposit. Giantoy generously allowed me to pay the balance in full. I decided to do this now, even though the release date is in some nebulous and undefined future, because I do not trust myself to hold the funds in reserve and it is becoming increasingly challenging to accurately calculate future expenses.

That leaves one more deposit-only pre-order, with a release date nearly a year out from now. By current prices it's relatively inexpensive, so I should be able to deal with it when it comes due. If I even care by that point.

davidd

davidd
Didn't I just say I had paid off an outstanding pre-order?

Haven't I been saying that I'm done with pre-orders?

But... this one was just toooo cuuuuute to pass up... and I had a ten dollar credit at Giantoy so the deposit only cost me nine bucks. (I'll worry about the other $140 next year! Embarassed )

Pre-order 1/6 Flagset FS-73051 Sharp Shooter Action Figure

https://giantoy.com/products/1-6-flagset-fs-73051-sharp-shooter-action-figure

lurpdog101

lurpdog101
davidd wrote:Didn't I just say I had paid off an outstanding pre-order?

But... this one was just toooo cuuuuute to pass up... and I had a ten dollar credit at Giantoy so the deposit only cost me nine bucks. (I'll worry about the other $140 next year! Embarassed )

hahaha I was exactly the same and about to put down a PO for the mini times US figure as comes with a javelin missile launcher which looks so sweet and would be very nice with my upcoming Ukrainian figures haha

davidd

davidd
lurpdog101 wrote:

hahaha I was exactly the same and about to put down a PO for the mini times US figure as comes with a javelin missile launcher which looks so sweet and would be very nice with my upcoming Ukrainian figures haha

Razz We are a weak and sorry lot, aren't we? Easily manipulated, easily tempted by New Shiny Things! Embarassed

lurpdog101

lurpdog101
davidd wrote:
lurpdog101 wrote:

Razz  We are a weak and sorry lot, aren't we? Easily manipulated, easily tempted by New Shiny Things! Embarassed

Laughing Laughing Laughing yup. Though I want to hold off to get the piece loose, but not seen much new mini-times stuff broken down recently

Scighera

2 pre orders at the moment... we will see what Damtoys will bring in the second half of the year...

÷÷÷Bravo Two Zero SAS Leader (Damtoys 78098)÷÷÷ Q1-24
÷÷÷Russian FSB Alpha Sniper (Damtoys 78100) ÷÷÷Q2-24

Potentially interested in de Sabine Wren Hot toys, but need to find a shop with a good price. 270-350 euro is a lot for, Also, with the larger production amounts of HT, is pre ordering necessary, or wait for a sale?

Xavion2004

Xavion2004
davidd wrote:Hmmm... it seems that finances and circumstances have become trying for a number of us on the forum. This is unfortunate.

I think what happened with me was “Well, I paid $200.  What’s another $25?  Then it’s $225.  Then it’s $250.  Then it’s $275.  Then it’s $300.  Then it’s $325.  Then it’s “OMG.  I’m about to pay $350 for a figure!  Am I insane?!?  Did the armadillos hit oil when they were digging up my back yard?!?”

Prices have been sneaking up on us across the board when it comes to consumer goods in general, and I think a lot of us are still trying to get our bearings.

collectorofmany

collectorofmany
I’m totally getting what other folks are saying regarding the out of control pricing and the need to taper pre-orders.

As for me, besides a BTTF Doc Brown head sculpt preorder (shipping soon, finally) and (my latest down payment due probably 2025 at the rate Mars has been releasing) BTTF Biff figure, the remainder of my figure or vehicle preorders, down payments and/or payment plans are solely for the 89-95 live action Batman run and even that’s almost too much at this point. (Sorry I don’t count that 97 monstrosity and have no desire to collect from it.) Granted, Keaton’s Batman is riding a huge nostalgia wave these last few years (Kilmer as well) and maybe that’s partly to blame why so much is coming out, but even my highly-segregated slice of 1/6 scale collecting pie is almost becoming too much.

I couldn’t imagine how Star Wars collectors are feeling right now, even if they limit their SW collecting to a specific trilogy set. I’d have gone mad by now!

I think after this current wave get paid off/paid when released, I’m going to be even more selective of future pickups.

Looking at the thread title, I wonder if “and when does it stop?” might need to be added! 😂

Scighera

Indeed, but especially Hot Toys prices are getting out of hand.
Local precorder prices in the Netherlands of 310 euros for a trooper, 360 for a main character and an 380 euros for ahsoka herself...

Luckily I am able to order figures from other country's, and I am very sective due to shelfspace.

ukshaun

ukshaun
Having just checked my pre_orders, the picture is not pretty.
Hot Toys x4
Sideshow x1
Blitzway x2
IconiQ Studio x1
Premier Toys X Three Steps x1
Custom x1

I did have 7 pre_orders with TW. I managed to get my money back on 2 pre_orders using the PayPal claim my payment back. Sadly the other 5 payments are outside the claim back window. I have requested TW cancel the remaining 5 pre_orders in exchange for store credit. The plan is to use the strore credit to purchase non Hot Toys items. I get the imprssion TW are have problems obtaining Hot Toys stock. Or TW are in financial difficulty. Who knows? ..one thing is for sure, i do not think they are being very transparent. Some on YouTube have hinted the owner of TW could do a runner? ..i hope not.

5 of my Hot Toys pre_orders with TW have since been placed with Popcultcha. All 5 figures have shipped. Popcultcha had a 20% off all in stock Hot Toys figures. Compared to Hong Kong, Popcultcha international shipping appears to be about three times lower.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmPNvCoky6KhyaPUd25EHgw/videos?

davidd

davidd
So much for my being "done with pre-orders."

It's just too easy, y'know? Especially when the pre-order deposit is only five or ten bucks.

I don't know when, or even if, any of this stuff will be released. But the list is getting a little bit out of hand at this point, at least for my comfort level.

In order of date placed:

1/6 Lucifer LXF2309 Clarion Call at Dawn - Giantoy - (paid in full)

1/6 Facepool FP014A The Red Baron - OneSixthKit - deposit only

1/6 Flagset FS-73051 Sharp Shooter Action Figure - Giantoy - deposit only

1/6 Executive Replicas Vampira Color Version - BigBadToyStore - deposit only

1/6 ThreeZero GI Joe Cobra Commander - BigBadToyStore - deposit only

1/12 DiD 3R TG80001 WWII German Party Leader - Monkey Depot - deposit only

Valiarde

Valiarde
I wanted to preorder less and sell more this year, because I need SPACE, but still plenty on the list...Smile  Evil or Very Mad

List:
Coomodel Archbishop of Empire
Coomodel Hernan Cortez (already on the way)
InArt Gandalf (already on the way)
InArt Aragorn Premium
Dragon Play Sauron
Poptoys Silent Hound
Poptoys Genoese Crossbow Captain
Hot Toys Padme
MrZ Duweime Horse

Looks like mainly expensive stuff, too  Pre-Orders -- How bad is the damage report? - Page 4 1f605

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
That's a pretty substantial list, Valiarde! Enjoy! Smile

Valiarde

Valiarde
skywalkersaga wrote:That's a pretty substantial list, Valiarde! Enjoy! Smile

thanks
Sure very enjoyable stuff, but do I need it all? Razz ah well...

Diana

Diana
Ugh. Time to update. I wanted to cut down but I've bought as much as I have received...  Pre-Orders -- How bad is the damage report? - Page 4 1f648
I did manage to sell a couple. Very Happy
I still got L, Light and Aragorn coming in...  Shocked

- Q4 2023: JXK Arctic Wolf (on the way)
- Q4 2023: GAMETOYS L and Light (DEPOSIT ONLY)
- Q4 2023: INART Aragorn Premium Edition (DEPOSIT ONLY)
- Q1 2024: BROTOYS 1/12 Female Samurai
- Q1 2024: AUG TOYS Paul Atreides in Distillation Suit
- Q1 2024: NOUNKEY The Wife Deluxe
- Q2 2024: POP COSTUME The Crow Girl Deluxe (ADDED)
- Q2 2024: HOT TOYS Mace Windu
- Q3 2024: PLAY TOY Sexy Robot Female Warrior (ADDED)
- Q3 2024: LUCIFER 1/12 Michael Archangel ("Dawn Wings") (ADDED)
- Q3 2024: HOT TOYS Daredevil (She-Hulk)
- Q4 2024: PLAYTOY Fighting Goddess

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 4 of 6]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum