OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition)

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 8]

ukshaun

(cont.)

Behind the black apron, Asami Yamazaki wears a beige pleated skirt, medium length, that ends just below the knee area.

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 2 XXXXXX-Audition-Beige-Skirt
Audition - Asami Yamazaki - Beige pleated skirt

I searched online not thinking for one minute I stood any chance of locating a 1/6th scale beige pleated skirt.
I found one! ..all be it a Barbie skirt. It was not 100% perfect, but it would do.
The $20 price tag seemed high. I went a head and ordered it.

On arrival, I can confirm that the price was high given the low quality of the product.
The biggest issue was the join at the back. The lower part (hem?) was not aligned 100%.
It was about 3mm off, which is a lot. I had no option but to unpick the stitches, and hand sew both vertical edges (to stop fraying) then stitch the two sides together.
This took me 2hrs! ..it was worth it.

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 2 XXXXXX-Beige-Skirt
Seller's Image (left) Fixed beige pleated skirt (right right right)

The shade of beige is correct, give or take. The length is correct. The fabric could be more dense.
The black band at the top is incorrect, but this is covered by the white shirt.
The fact remains, most of the beige skirt will be covered, at the front atleast, by a black apron.
There is room for improvement. Especially in the fabric, weight.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmPNvCoky6KhyaPUd25EHgw/videos?

skywalkersaga

Very unique and interesting project, and you've made a great start. I never remember to document  my progress in such detail, so kudos for that! I hope all the parts and pieces you are gathering will work together, but if not, don't worry... that is a common part of the 1/6 hobby as we all know too well. ;p

You might appreciate this, but, hilariously, I just got an automated email from ebay, one of those that is tailored to your search history, and it said 'like Barbies and horror films? then check out [x, y, z]'. Laughing

Speaking of which, I had to go and read and spoil the ending of this movie for myself so I could better understand the context of your project. I'm glad I did, since it then saves me from watching. I'm a huge fan of horror, but lean more toward old-fashioned subjects like gothic horror, hammer horror/occult horror, and folk horror. Body horror and torture-related stuff is just not for me. No  Nevertheless, your project is fascinating and I look forward to further updates! Smile

AlKelAstra91

I agree this is a unique subject to tackle, I don't see a lot of horror-related kitbashes on here. Remember hearing about the movie a while back but never watched it, kind of sounds like Hard Candy starring Ellen Page - but I guess that one was more 'psychological torture' than anything.

ukshaun

skywalkersaga wrote:Very unique and interesting project, and you've made a great start. I never remember to document  my progress in such detail, so kudos for that! I hope all the parts and pieces you are gathering will work together, but if not, don't worry... that is a common part of the 1/6 hobby as we all know too well. ;p

You might appreciate this, but, hilariously, I just got an automated email from ebay, one of those that is tailored to your search history, and it said 'like Barbies and horror films? then check out [x, y, z]'. Laughing

Speaking of which, I had to go and read and spoil the ending of this movie for myself so I could better understand the context of your project. I'm glad I did, since it then saves me from watching. I'm a huge fan of horror, but lean more toward old-fashioned subjects like gothic horror, hammer horror/occult horror, and folk horror. Body horror and torture-related stuff is just not for me. No  Nevertheless, your project is fascinating and I look forward to further updates! Smile

The ending raises a number of questions. Even if you have read about the ending, Audition is worth checking out.

ukshaun

ukshaun
AlKelAstra91 wrote:I agree this is a unique subject to tackle, I don't see a lot of horror-related kitbashes on here. Remember hearing about the movie a while back but never watched it, kind of sounds like Hard Candy starring Ellen Page - but I guess that one was more 'psychological torture' than anything.

'kitbashes' that's a new one to me. I did not know there was a word for it.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
That's interesting and you from what we have seen so far you've done an excellent job in matching the images. For the skirt you could try giving her a half slip to try and make the skirts fabric a bit more dense.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 2 1f60e

ukshaun

ukshaun
Theboo-bomb wrote:That's interesting and you from what we have seen so far you've done an excellent job in matching the images. For the skirt you could try giving her a half slip to try and make the skirts fabric a bit more dense.

That's an idea. Thanks.
It might bulk things out more than need be.
The black rubber apron will have the added bonus of blocking out light.

ukshaun

ukshaun
(cont.)

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 2 XXXXXX-Audition-Black-Rubber-Apron
Audition - Asami Yamazaki - Black Rubber Apron

Asami Yamazaki wears a type of black rubber slaughter-house/butchers apron that ends just above the knee area. The left and right sides of the apron are held in place by black straps that wrap around and connect up at the back. Around the neck area appears to tan colored straps. They are either made from leather or rubber? All straps both black and tan appear to be held in place by silver metal studs.

Maybe the apron exists in the real world, or maybe the apron is a prop designed for the movie?

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 2 XXXXXX-Black-Rubber-Apron-Components
Black Rubber Apron - Materials

I had some idea of how to approach re-creating such an item in 1/6th scale.

Searching ebay I found:
1mm Sheet of Black Rubber
Action Man Water Bottle
1mm/0.8mm Micro Dot Rivet Nail Art Decoration
0-6/0-8 mm Tan Color Leather (not pictured)

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 2 XXXXXX-Black-Rubber-Apron
Black Rubber Apron - 90% complete

Using reference photo’s, the height/width of the apron was calculated. The left & right angles were calculated by using the neck and side strap positions. The 1mm black rubber feels thicker than anticipated. Thinner rubber might have worked better. 1mm black rubber was the thinnest I could find.

The black side straps were taken from an Action Man water mottle. They are glued in place. For added strength I used a needle and cotton where the silver rivets would be located.

The neck straps were cut from tan Color leather and glued in place. I noticed in the reference photo’s the straps enter through slots in the Apron. I added both slots and pulled the Tan Color Leather straps through the slots. This has the benefit of added strength.

To complete the Apron the plan is to add silver rivets. I found something called:
1mm/0.8mm Micro Dot Rivet Nail Art Decoration
I think these will do the trick. For the moment they are on the slow plane from China.
Once they arrive, the plan is to glue them into position. X mark the position(s).
If the Micro Rivets fail to work, then a new direction will have to be taken.

Once the Apron is complete, the plan is to clean it up using silicone rubber spray, as it keeps rubber alive and smells better.
The 1mm sheet of rubber I am using stinks of chemical.

The Action Man water bottle has another use. It came with 4x metal strap slider components, which are ideal to be used on the 4 arm straps.
Attempting to located such metal sliders on their own proved impossible.

ukshaun

ukshaun
Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 2 XXXXXX-Fan-Art-02
Audition - Asami Yamazaki - Fan Art

Found some more Fan Art.
This sort of thing keeps my motivation going Smile

Maybe Audition is more popular than i first thought?

It is interesting to see how others believe what they might, might not have seen?
What is on each end of the wire? ..does the wire attach to the tops or bottoms?
How many straps were there around the waist area? one artist appears to have seen 5?
Are the arm straps above or below the elbow?

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
I don’t know what she had on the ends of her garrote, but most modern-day ones have either metal rings or small wood handles — makes it easier on the users hands, as pulling wire tight around a persons neck can hurt your hands just as much as it hurts the victim (well, not entirely... but it is pretty painful).

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 2 C8485110

ukshaun

ukshaun
Stryker2011 wrote:I don’t know what she had on the ends of her garrote, but most modern-day ones have either metal rings or small wood handles — makes it easier on the users hands, as pulling wire tight around a persons neck can hurt your hands just as much as it hurts the victim (well, not entirely... but it is pretty painful).

Having looked and looked as much as possible at the all too few moments the movie offers a view of what is attached to the end of each end of the (piano?) wire, appears to be made of not so new metal, possibly silver with paint chipped off.. ..rusty? ..old?
If i am correct, they are some sort of handle, possibly door handles?

One thing is for sure, the way she holds them, means the wire is attached at the bottom end, not the top end.

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 2 XXXXXX-Audition-Wire
Audition - Wire (weapon)

ukshaun

ukshaun
(cont.)

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 2 XXXXXX-Audition-Arm-Straps
Audition - Asami Yamazaki - Arm Straps

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 2 XXXXXX-Arm-Straps-x4
4x Tan Leather Arm Straps

Small (easy) job today. 4x arm straps. Made using strips of tan leather.
I think the strips in the movie are made from rubber.
4x metal strap slider components were ideal, and came from an Action Man water bottle
(the same water bottle mentioned in one of the posts above).

The straps are 90% complete. They need to be cut shorter.
Once the 1mm/0.8mm Micro Dot Rivet Nail Art Decoration’s arrive, the plan is to add 2 to each strap to look like rivets.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Yep. The garrote looks to be attached to drawer/cabinet handles.

ukshaun

ukshaun
Stryker2011 wrote:Yep. The garrote looks to be attached to drawer/cabinet handles.

I have found some mini door handles i plan on customizing.
While they are not 100% accurate, they do have the pointy top and bottom design. I figured the middle part will be out of view, as it will be hidden by the hand(s).

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Oh wow, where did you find such tiny 'rivets'? I have been looking for some myself for a while...

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

ukshaun

ukshaun
skywalkersaga wrote:Oh wow, where did you find such tiny 'rivets'? I have been looking for some myself for a while...

Ebay

I stumbled across them by accident.
Given their name, they appear to be a product used in nail bars.
They cost very little for a bag of 100
I still do not know if they are made from plastic or metal?
..or if they are solid or hollow?

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Thanks, I'll have a look! Smile

The outfit for your figure is coming together really well. It's very satisfying to see people's creativity on this forum, and what can be done with what are sometimes unexpected supplies and materials.

ukshaun

ukshaun
Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 2 XXXXXX-Fan-Art-03

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 2 XXXXXX-Fan-Art-04
Audition - Asami Yamazaki - Fan Art

More Fan Art.

The Garrote appears to be the most popular weapon, followed by the Syringe.
Sometimes the Spikes make an appearance.

ukshaun

ukshaun
skywalkersaga wrote:Thanks, I'll have a look! Smile

The outfit for your figure is coming together really well. It's very satisfying to see people's creativity on this forum, and what can be done with what are sometimes unexpected supplies and materials.

Thanks.

I am still working on a solution to the black arm coverings.
I have looked online, but there did not appear to be anything quite like that available.

My 1st idea was long black balloons cut down to size.
This idea did not work out. The balloons were too narrow.
I tried filling them with water to stretch them. This had some effect, but not enough.

My 2nd idea involved cutting up some black rubber and stitching it together to form a tube.
This idea failed also. It looked too bulky.

My 3rd idea was to source some black tubing.
Searching on ebay all i could find was tubing that was too thick walled.
I spotted something called heat-shrink-tubing 12mm in diameter. It was cheap, so i ordered 1 meter of that.
Only once it arrives will i be able to tell if it is suitable?

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Regarding the black gloves.... I'm thinking you could get black-gloved female hands, and then make the sleeve part of the glove a separate piece.... using whatever you feel works best. Either faux leather, some kind of black plastic, or whatever else you have access to. I have seen black disposable examination gloves, which you could cut two small pieces out of to use as the sleeve part of the gloves. Don't know how readily available those will be though, given how 'in-demand' almost any form of PPE is right now, but it's worth a try?

ukshaun

ukshaun
skywalkersaga wrote:Regarding the black gloves.... I'm thinking you could get black-gloved female hands, and then make the sleeve part of the glove a separate piece.... using whatever you feel works best. Either faux leather, some kind of black plastic, or whatever else you have access to. I have seen black disposable examination gloves, which you could cut two small pieces out of to use as the sleeve part of the gloves. Don't know how readily available those will be though, given how 'in-demand' almost any form of PPE is right now, but it's worth a try?

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 2 XXXXXX-Hands
1/6th Scale Black Gloved Hands

These black gloves were the best i could locate.
They are a pre-order. 8 weeks wait atleast.

If i can join the arm sections onto these gloves, then the results should look ok.
I hope to be able to cover the straps on the gloves with the arm sections, as they are supposed to look like one piece.
I went with these gloves, as they almost look like rubber.

The hand position/pose is ideal to hold the Garrote weapon.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Those definitely look the part -- frustrating about the wait. Are there any less-accurate black glove hands you could use as stand-ins in the meantime?

ukshaun

ukshaun
skywalkersaga wrote:Those definitely look the part -- frustrating about the wait. Are there any less-accurate black glove hands you could use as stand-ins in the meantime?

I have some Hot Toys - Deadpool hands Very Happy

ukshaun

ukshaun
(cont.)

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 2 XXXXXX-Audition-Wire
Audition - Wire (weapon)

Project - Asami Yamazaki (from Audition) - Page 2 XXXXXX-Garrote
Seller's Image (left) Assembled repainted (right)

This is about the best I can come up with at the moment when it comes to the Garrotte handles.

The Garrotte handles are made from 1/6th scale metal door handles.
The hole at the top of each handle was drilled to make it wider.
I cut the threaded bar in half and screwed each half into each of the newly drilled holes.
I bent the door plates to add curvature. The hands to hide the middle part of the handle.
The gold was painted black. Over the black, silver paint was added to highlight some of the details and make the surface look aged.

Once the Micro Dot Rivet Nail Art Decoration's arrive, i might add one to each handle in place of the silver dot currently painted onto each door-knob.

All I need to do now is added wire. The length of the wire cannot be worked out until I have fitted both hands. I don’t have the wire yet. I could use cotton.
I spotted during the movie, during one scene, the wire is obviously string (probably in the name of safety).

It has entered my mind that the hands (which are currently on pre-order) are solid.
I might have to cut the handles down and insert the top and bottom into the hands.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Good find for the handles. Might I suggest vinyl for the arm sleeves (and possibly even the apron). There is really thin vinyl out there (used by the fetish community) that should wrap tighter (you’d have to sew them yourself (or use glue).

https://www.etsy.com/listing/633477836/glossy-stretch-fetish-patent-vinyl?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=vinyl+fetish&ref=sr_gallery-1-2&col=1

ukshaun

ukshaun
Stryker2011 wrote:Good find for the handles. Might I suggest vinyl for the arm sleeves (and possibly even the apron). There is really thin vinyl out there (used by the fetish community) that should wrap tighter (you’d have to sew them yourself (or use glue).

Thanks.

I will give that more thought, once the heat-shrink-tubing arrives.
The heat-shrink-tubing cost next to nothing. If it's too plasticky / non flexible enough, then it won't be any good.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Good call on the vinyl, Stryker. Didn't even occur to me... ;p

And ukshaun, your attention to detail is admirable. So far everything is really looking the part.

Ovy

Ovy
Your dedication to accuracy is outstanding, really like the doorknob idea. I think the wire can be rolled onto the knobs?

ukshaun

ukshaun
Ovy wrote:Your dedication to accuracy is outstanding, really like the doorknob idea. I think the wire can be rolled onto the knobs?

When held, the 'door knobs' are at the top pointing towards the body.
The wire is attached at the bottom through the small hole(s).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 8]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum