OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Assault Tank Commander review

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Commander - Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Assault Tank Commander review Htatc010

Introduction

This new release from Hot Toys arrived from Sideshow yesterday. Hot Toys' coverage of Rogue One has been spotty, but they did show some love for imperial trooper types, producing the Rogue One Stormtrooper (in a couple of versions), Death Trooper (in three versions), and Shore Trooper (in a couple of versions?). All these have seen second release due to their appearances in The Mandalorian. The only Rogue One imperial trooper type left (they sorta covered the revised Imperial Ground Crew as Jynn Erso's disguise version) was the Imperial Assault Tank Commander (with Pilot variant). This is the product just released. It, too, has a Mandalorian version, of sorts, the Transport Trooper, a hybrid between Rogue One's Assault Tank Commander/Pilot and Solo's Mud Trooper. It seems like trooper figures keep on giving and multiplying and army-building should be easy... except, of course, for the price.

Commander - Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Assault Tank Commander review Htatc011

Packaging

The Assault Tank Commander comes in a long-familiar standard Hot Toys shoe box-type cardboard container with a colorful image of the product on the cover. Another colorful image is found on the card covering the single plastic trey (with transparent lid) containing the figure. Everything is snug, safe, and collector-friendly.

Commander - Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Assault Tank Commander review Htatc012

Sculpting

Sculpting a fully-armored figure with futuristic armor is, of course, a challenge, yet not quite the challenge of making a faithful, lifelike, and realistic representation of an individual's features. As usual, Hot Toys rose to the challenge, and created a very fine replica of what was seen on screen. The edges are suitably sharp and clean, the proportions quite accurate (for some minor issues see Source Accuracy below), the detail is rich and distinctive as needed. The figure stands just about 12 inches tall, and scales well among other Rogue One figures by Hot Toys (see last image below).

Commander - Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Assault Tank Commander review Htatc013

Paint

In principle, the paint work on a subject like this, need only be sharp, if the armor and clothing are in pristine conditions. But since the subject is meant to be dirtied up and weathered, there is still plenty of room for a complex and nuanced paint application. The armor has been supplied with the appearance of wear and tear, grime, scratches and stains. Overall, it is believable and appropriate. At the same time, the paint job is suitably sharp in the areas where it ought to be. Apart from the weathering, the paint is mostly black and white, with some details in red and brownish gray. The blaster rifle is also given a little weathering.

Commander - Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Assault Tank Commander review Htatc014

Articulation

Hot Toys used to lead in the field of hard plastic open-jointed bodies, which used to be available as base bodies. That no longer seems to be the case, but the bodies that come with most of their sets still tend to sport a good articulation. More often than not, however, this is compromised by the use of tight and stiff cloth for the outfit and, even more so, by the insertion of padded undergarments. These are ostensibly to improve the appearance of the figure, but do so only marginally, while at the same time significantly impairing articulation -- and this without additional limitations imposed by armor and accessories. This is exactly the case with this set. The apparent padding makes it difficult to achieve the full range of articulation; the outfit is not exceedingly restrictive, but also does not help. The armor is mostly out of the way, except for the vambraces in the wrist area and for the tabs (boxes?) handing from the armored utility belt. On the other hand, elbows, knees, and ankles have excellent articulation. As a result it is sometimes difficult but not impossible to achieve more dynamic poses. I have not yet explored this option with this set, but previous experience suggest removing the padding would greatly facilitate the articulation with almost no impact on the look.

Commander - Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Assault Tank Commander review Htatc015

Accessories

In this area, the figure is woefully short. There is, of course, an action figure crotch-grabber stand with an optional printed graphic card to cover the base, and an optional additional detail piece to add to the base. There are alternative parts, namely two additional sets of hands, for a total of three pairs (relaxed, gun-grip, and fists). There are spare parts, namely the two extra wrist pegs. But none of these are really accessories. The sole accessory is the E-11 blaster rifle with its Rogue One flashlight add-on. The blaster rifle is beautifully and precisely realized, with a folding three-position stock. Now, I realize we can't expect the Assault Tank Commander to come with an Assault Tank as his accessory, but this is exceedingly light. And it should be reflected in the price (see Value below).

Commander - Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Assault Tank Commander review Htatc016

Outfit

Apart from the molded hard or soft plastic armor (see Sculpting), the outfit consists primarily of the gray-brown cloth pants and some sort of black garment visible primarily at the elbows -- since I have not taken the body apart or seen the set parted out, I'm not certain if this is a whole top or even a whole bodysuit (perhaps unlikely). The belt combines cloth and molded plastic pieces.

Commander - Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Assault Tank Commander review Htatc017

Source Accuracy

The top part of the image below is for reference, from https://www.starwars.com/databank/imperial-combat-assault-tank-commander
On the whole, Hot Toys has rendered the character's appearance very well and quite accurately. It is possible that the helmet has become slightly vertically elongated, but it might be an effect of my camera lens. The only certain inaccuracy I spotted is the treatment of two of the recessed areas on either side of the segmented element in the middle of the abdominal area. The reference image shows larger recessed parts in dark gray, whereas in the figure they appear to be significantly narrower (see images in previous and succeeding sections).

Commander - Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Assault Tank Commander review Htatc018

Fun Factor

Without a tank and a couple of pilots (which would effectively be slight variants) to boss around, the Assault Tank Commander runs the risk of being a lonely figure. The presence of a single accessory (the blaster rifle) also does not open a huge field of possibilities for fun. However, one could pair him with any or all of the other imperial trooper types from Rogue One produced by Hot Toys. The Jedha patrol stormtrooper would be a particularly apt companion (I could not easily excavate mine, so I substituted a virtually identical regular Rogue One stormtrooper in the photos here).

Commander - Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Assault Tank Commander review Htatc110

Value

This is the tricky bit. Retailing at $230 (USD) before taxes and shipping, this figure is at once pricey and yet more affordable than so many other Hot Toys releases these days. I don't know if this is a nod to the dearth of accessories or to the potential for army-building (although one is unlikely to be looking for an army of Assault Tank Commanders, I suppose). Even so, "objectively" speaking, it seems difficult to justify such a hefty price tag for a figure this simple -- no detailed realistic human face, no extravagant bases or accessories (in fact, only one accessory), a trooper, reused or duplicate parts (from the Shore Trooper, Transport Trooper, Mud Trooper, and not even talking about the standard Rogue One blaster rifle) and so on. Yes, Hot Toys quality is (as it should be, but apparently not always) very good, the sculpt and paint are excellent, but I don't see why this figure is not almost $100 less than this asking price (and that prior to secondary market inflation). Other than, of course, Hot Toys' "ambition" and precedent. Some of the recent or upcoming trooper figures are actually slightly less expensive ($220). Of course, the thing about value is that its estimation varies based on a number of variables, most notably one's means and priorities.

Commander - Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Assault Tank Commander review Htatc111

Things to watch out for

Nothing much, the only readily breakable area is the folding stock of the E-11 blaster rifle.

Commander - Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Assault Tank Commander review Htatc112

Overall

When it comes to protagonists, certain secondary characters, and imperial trooper types, I'm a completist, and Rogue One is quasi-canon to me, so I'm happy I purchased this figure. It is a very fine figure, although I cannot really say I'm blown away by it. Then again, I got it to have a representation of the character (or rather type), not so much because I was specifically drawn to it. The execution is excellent, the functionality is good (without being perfect), the price is hefty (without being totally excessive). The design is cool, if repetitive (the most notable though not only point of comparison is the Shore Trooper design from the same film), and the figure fits in well with Hot Toys' other Star Wars figures, especially those from Rogue One. Given their usual practice, I'm surprised they did not offer the pilot variants, but perhaps they are uncertain of the degree to which this type and this movie would sell at this point.

Commander - Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Assault Tank Commander review Htatc113

Where to buy

I got mine for $230 (USD) from Sideshow, using some accumulated points. The secondary market is inflating prices, and I have seen it going for $275 to $542 on eBay. Among others (mostly on pre-order),

Cotswold Collectibles has it for $230;

Monkey Depot has it for $230;

Timewalker Toys has it for $230 (wait list);

Big Bad Toy Store has it for $245.

Commander - Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Assault Tank Commander review Htatc114

Other recent or relevant reviews

Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Director Krennic

Premier Toys PT0001 Wasteland Gladiator

Toys Headquarters Vol 003 Fighter

TBLeague Ramesses the Great

Figure Masters Vamp Lou

LDDoll Seamless Figure Body

SooSoo Toys Frozen Man

SooSoo Toys Mr Butcher

Sideshow and Hot Toys Star Wars Scout Troopers (comparison)

Thunder Toys Hell Detective

Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine

TBLeague Barbarian Soul

Hot Toys Star Wars Return of the Jedi Stormtrooper

ADD Toys War Wolves Back (muscle version)

World Box AT027 body

Hot Toys Star Wars Solo Mudtrooper

Sideshow Star Wars TIE Fighter Pilot

Woo Toys WO-004 Fat Thor

HH HY Rome Infantry

HH HY Rome Centurion

Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (He-Man)

Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (Conan the Barbarian)

Dragon and TBLeague Alexander the Great (comparison)

Kautic Plastik Roman Infantry 2019

JX Toys Peggy Carter

TBLeague 1:12 seamless male bodies

Hasbro Star Wars Rogue One Imperial Combat Assault Tank

Hasbro Star Wars imperials 2019

Hasbro Star Wars Jabba's Tatooine Skiff

CC Toys Unexplored Nate (summer version)

Jiaou Doll Boss Chair

Hot Toys Star Wars Solo Patrol Trooper

China Toys Teutonic Knight

Star Ace 300 Queen Gorgo

Black Box Toys Spectre Girl (Madeleine Swann)

Hot Toys Star Wars Royal Guard

VS Toys Bathroom

Coomodel Vikings Vanquisher Viking Ship

Coomodel Vikings Vanquisher Valhalla (double set)

TBLeague M36 body

Chinese wooden chairs and table sets A and B

HY Toys Armchair

TBLeague M35 body

Sideshow Jack Burton

Disney Star Wars Director Orson Krennic

TBLeague Spartan Goddess of War

AR Toys Hellman

Dragon Men in Black 3 Agent K 1969

Commander - Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Assault Tank Commander review Htatc115

I hope this has been useful. As always, what do you think?

#hottoys #starwars #rogueone #imperial #assaulttank #commander #male #scifi #fiction #film #movie

Randam Hajile

Randam Hajile
Thank you for the nice review, GF! Great pictures and highly informative, as always.

It's quite unlikely that I will buy this figure (would buy a Cassian Andor to go with my Jyn-Figure!), but it is good to hear that the quality is nice (as expected at such a price).

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
A thorough and good review, Ian. I don’t plan on getting this one myself, but your reviews are always fun to go over. I do,however, have something similar on PO, but from The Mandalorian, as I bought a unpainted Bill Burr sculpt (he was disguised as one of these guys in season 2).

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3587-new-product-hot-toys-star-wars-the-mandalorian-transport-trooper-1-6th-scale-collectible-figure?highlight=Transport+trooper

He who dies with the most toys wins!

Commander - Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Assault Tank Commander review C8485110

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Pretty nice, they have a good look to them and are probably one of my favorite modern star wars trooper types.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! Commander - Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Assault Tank Commander review 1f60e

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Randam Hajile wrote:Thank you for the nice review, GF! Great pictures and highly informative, as always.

It's quite unlikely that I will buy this figure (would buy a Cassian Andor to go with my Jyn-Figure!), but it is good to hear that the quality is nice (as expected at such a price).

Thank you very much, I'm glad you liked it. It would have made sense to make a Cassian, although I'm not personally fond of the character. Unless one is getting together the different trooper types or really loving the design, I doubt one would be drawn much to this product.

Stryker2011 wrote:A thorough and good review, Ian. I don’t plan on getting this one myself, but your reviews are always fun to go over. I do,however, have something similar on PO, but from The Mandalorian, as I bought a unpainted Bill Burr sculpt (he was disguised as one of these guys in season 2).

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t3587-new-product-hot-toys-star-wars-the-mandalorian-transport-trooper-1-6th-scale-collectible-figure?highlight=Transport+trooper

Thank you very much, Mark. Yes, as I mentioned, the Transport Trooper is a sort of hybrid between this and the Solo Mudtrooper. Before this product was announced, I was planning on ordering the Transport Trooper and kitbashing the Tank Commander and giving it a repaint. It is also a cool enough design, and all this borrowing is arguably continuity in style. Looking forward to your Transport Trooper, since I'm not getting one myself -- but perhaps I can live vicariously through you. Smile

Theboo-bomb wrote:Pretty nice, they have a good look to them and are probably one of my favorite modern star wars trooper types.

Thank you, I'm glad you like them. If so, this is definitely a good quality, fun product. Too bad Hasbro is no longer making fully articulated 12-inch Star Wars characters (or are they?), as they might have done a decent job on masked and armored military types like these. Their Interactech Stormtrooper was woefully under-articulated (just five points of articulation) but beautifully sculpted and painted decently enough.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Stunning addition Ian. He looks brilliant with his counterparts.

Ovy

Ovy
Beautiful on the point review as always, and now I see how many reviews you have done already.

Sad how they self restrict their figures' articulation, but on the other hand I don't think many of their target group collectors would pose them beyond standard standing poses.

I like that you made helmless versions. I imagine Jason Momoa when being asked by Leia if he isn't a bit too tall for a storm trooper, he would lift his helmet and shake his hair in slow motion with a wind machine nearby, with glittering stars etc.

A yes, a tank would have been a nice little gimmick.

And why would there be any need to justify the price?

Stryker2011 wrote:A thorough and good review, Ian. I don’t plan on getting this one myself, but your reviews are always fun to go over. I do,however, have something similar on PO, but from The Mandalorian, as I bought a unpainted Bill Burr sculpt (he was disguised as one of these guys in season 2).

I remember having posted in a thread about that transport trooper, but it seems like a whole different thread now, weird.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
BAMComix wrote:Stunning addition Ian. He looks brilliant with his counterparts.

Thank you very much, Dal, I'm glad you like him -- and them.

Ovy wrote:Beautiful on the point review as always, and now I see how many reviews you have done already.

Sad how they self restrict their figures' articulation, but on the other hand I don't think many of their target group collectors would pose them beyond standard standing poses.

I like that you made helmless versions. I imagine Jason Momoa when being asked by Leia if he isn't a bit too tall for a storm trooper,  he would lift his helmet and shake his hair in slow motion with a wind machine nearby, with glittering stars etc.

A yes, a tank would have been a nice little gimmick. And why would there be any need to justify the price?

Thank you very much, glad you liked the review. Yes, they have added up over time, haven't they. And this list did not include the ones from the Old Site, nor the ones I did as a guest reviewer for Michael Crawford/Captain Toy.

Glad you liked my goofing around with the figures, supplying imaginary under-the-helmet actor appearances. Had Leia already not committed to Officer Kavil, I would have been exceedingly tempted to act out your suggestion with the figures for another Star Wars story... I still might. It will be labeled "Blame Ovy," like the Gopniks (there have been a bit more since you last checked them out). Smile As you know, we have the tank, just not in this scale:

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t2213-star-wars-imperial-combat-assault-tank-from-rogue-one-by-hasbro

davidd

davidd
Excellent photography accompanying this review! I am impressed by your thorough analysis of the figure and by your knowledge of the source material.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
davidd wrote:Excellent photography accompanying this review! I am impressed by your thorough analysis of the figure and by your knowledge of the source material.

Thank you very much, Dave, I appreciate it. And given your photographic talents, that is high praise indeed!

davidd

davidd
I take it this figure does not have much armor below the waist because he is the tank commander, so he is only partially exposed through the turret hatch (based on what I can see in the link to the smaller scale tank model)?

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
davidd wrote:I take it this figure does not have much armor below the waist because he is the tank commander, so he is only partially exposed through the turret hatch (based on what I can see in the link to the smaller scale tank model)?

You are correct. Most of the body armor is comparable to the Shoretrooper's, except there is no armored skirt elements for the tank commander and pilots. They spend most of their time inside, and occasionally poking their heads or upper bodies through the hatches. Technically, if they wanted to be consistent with AT-ST drivers from ROTJ, they would not have needed any armor at all, except maybe helmets of some kind. Then again, AT-AT drivers on Hoth from ESB wore a version of the TIE Fighter Pilot armor... So consistency and rationale are a bit elusive.

davidd

davidd
GubernatorFan wrote:So consistency and rationale are a bit elusive.

The galaxy is a big place. There are bound to be regional variations on uniforms and equipment. Wink

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
davidd wrote:
GubernatorFan wrote:So consistency and rationale are a bit elusive.

The galaxy is a big place. There are bound to be regional variations on uniforms and equipment. Wink

True, although this is also (or mostly) their convenient excuse for either failing to pay attention to consistency, or deciding to change some details... On a somewhat related note, I am about to post a couple of comparison images of HT's same two Star Wars troopers from Rogue One and The Mandalorian. There it is a question of both film design and figure design, but the design has stayed very close to identical (which is presumably easy on the company's wallets).

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum