OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

[Alt History] Batallon de Cazadores, the elite troops of the nation.

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
Hello!

I know, I wasn't planning on more alt history figures, specially not army ones since I wanted to concentrate more on some rebels but you know how it is with creativity and ease of access to what you need to make something. Anyway this figure draws its inspiration from the real Cazadores that existed in Puerto Rico by 1898, cazadores where for a lack of a better word troops that used natural cover in order to fight, basically like a hunter would. Puerto Rico had a total of four cazador battalions, those being Colon nº23, Alfonson XIII nº24, Patria nº25 and Valladolid nº31. The cazadores much like the Guardia Civil and many other institutions disappeared after the treaty of  Paris.

And now for the alt history!

Batallon de Cazadores nº2, Capitan Antonio de los Reyes

It was no secret that Puerto Rico's military was always looking for ways to improve and better itself, it was during the first world war that the idea of bringing back the cazadores first arose. Originally thought of as voluntary force to be used for raiding trenches it soon evolved  to involve sappers and chemical weapons, it wouldn't be until the 1920's military reforms that the cazador battalions where finally established as a standalone unit of the military, separating the sappers into the sapper batallions and the chemical weapons division into it's own thing. During this period the cazadores would received additional training in the form of jungle warfare, climbing, hand to hand combat and saboteur techniques. As it stood the cazadors where one of the most elite units and one of the most difficult ones to enter.

The gear of the cazadores was not that different from that of the standard army, unlike it, the cazadores made use of submachine guns, more specifically the MP-18 adopted locally as the Pistola Automatica Modelo 1930 or the PA-M30, the use of the c96 was also common, sniper rifles usually using the Gewehr 98, other weapons included grenades and chemical weapons such as gases.  The helmet where the standard stahlhelm and it's locally made copies, the uniform was of the four pocket variety which was more rare, their boots where tall canvas boots with leather reinforcements though some troops also made use of tall leather boots used normally used by the cavalry and puttees. Perhaps more interesting was the issuing of either a shovel or a machete, cazadors however made use of both in hand to hand combat as they would often sharpen the shovels to be used.

The cazadores would soon see combat during the 1930 to 1931 riots in the form of clandestine missions in order to find the people responsible for organizing and starting the riots. Again they would see service after the 1937 Vieques uprising as they combed the rural parts of the island in search of rebels. However it is perhaps their involvement of the 1937 to 1942 "Grito Nacional" in which the units carried out raids on suspected rebel hideouts, their tactics where considerably heavy handed  involving not only machine guns, but also mortars, explosives and even chemical weapons.

[Alt History] Batallon de Cazadores, the elite troops of the nation.  XLsq5Zp
[Alt History] Batallon de Cazadores, the elite troops of the nation.  HlzvyMJ
[Alt History] Batallon de Cazadores, the elite troops of the nation.  ISeDPxf
[Alt History] Batallon de Cazadores, the elite troops of the nation.  68ovu0F
[Alt History] Batallon de Cazadores, the elite troops of the nation.  6AvEHN5
[Alt History] Batallon de Cazadores, the elite troops of the nation.  JaaQH4p

Overall a very simple figure but fun one to put together. The boots I painted brown in the canvas area after not really liking how the "canvas" looked. I don't really know what else to say really, this figure sort of pop into existence in a couplue of hours. Just in case anyone wants to see the other figures I'll post links to them bellow:
-Civil Defense Officer
Civil Defense Volunteer
National Army LMG
National Police of P.R.
National Naval Infantry
National Navy of P.R.
National Army of P.R.
National Air Force Pilot

And well, that's that really, I hope everyone has a good week ahead, that you are all able to have some fun and to above all stay safe out there.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [Alt History] Batallon de Cazadores, the elite troops of the nation.  1f60e

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
There is an Alfonso XIII battalion? Cool. He turned out very professional looking, ready to hunt some rebels.

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
Great looking figure — and I dig the submachine-gun and all his gear. Interesting alt history as usual.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

[Alt History] Batallon de Cazadores, the elite troops of the nation.  C8485110

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
GubernatorFan wrote:There is an Alfonso XIII battalion? Cool. He turned out very professional looking, ready to hunt some rebels.

Thanks Gubernator. There used to be an Alfoson XIII batallion, the new ones have different names though they are still based around historical figures that defended the motherland. I'm glad you liked him, he was a rather quick bash considering I did him while putting together other figures.

Stryker2011 wrote:Great looking figure — and I dig the submachine-gun and all his gear. Interesting alt history as usual.

Thanks Stryker. I'm glad you enjoyed it, the submachine guns is an MP-28, I thought it would be cool to use one for an althistory bash.

All of my alt-history themed figures in one convenient link! BooBomb's alt history figures! [Alt History] Batallon de Cazadores, the elite troops of the nation.  1f60e

ThePhotogsBlog

ThePhotogsBlog
Neat, alternate history figure.

Ovy

Ovy
Another great Magic door guard.
I like the thread around his helmet a lot, makes him look... professional, if that makes sense. He probably puts foliage in there I guess. Tony also has the perfect face for the character/job

But you have to admit, while his stylish sharpened shovel is effective, he would look great with a machete.

What's the meaning of the letters on the helmet?

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
ThePhotogsBlog wrote:Neat, alternate history figure.  

Thanks ThePhotosBlog!

Ovy wrote:Another great Magic door guard.
I like the thread around his helmet a lot, makes him look... professional, if that makes sense. He probably puts foliage in there I guess. Tony also has the perfect face for the character/job

But you have to admit, while his stylish sharpened shovel is effective, he would look great with a machete.

What's the meaning of the letters on the helmet?

Thanks Ovy, I used thread instead of a wire armature since the wire I have is too stiff to shape. As you said it's for foliage. I wanted to give him a machete but the ones I have are too childish, they are more like paddles in how thick they are.

The letters on the helmet stand for Frente Unido Revolucionario, or united rebel front which are the rebels I've been putting together.

BAMComix

BAMComix
Another wonderful creation! great detailing!

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
BAMComix wrote:Another wonderful creation! great detailing!

Thanks BAMComix!

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
This is just awesome, like just about all of your alt history stuff! Not only do you construct a convincing history with lots of detail, the figure is terrific too! I have a total soft spot for WWII German unis and gear, and this actually reminds me of the several Chinese Nationalist divisions which wore basically full German pre war unis and helmets and carried a mix of German/American/Brit gear (and that's not alt history!).

Not to get all "stitch Nazi" on you  (budumbum!Rolling Eyes) but it looks like you've got him in an M43 tunic, and by that point in the war it's unlikely the Germans were sending anything to anyone other than their allies like Finland or Hungary. Probably much more likely in an M36 or even M28 Reichswehr tunic (don't think that's ever been made in 1/6), since the most likely time frame for military export would be 1933-1939 for Germany.

Anyway, love the figure and your customs on it! cheers

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
tankgirlfuzzy wrote:This is just awesome, like just about all of your alt history stuff! Not only do you construct a convincing history with lots of detail, the figure is terrific too! I have a total soft spot for WWII German unis and gear, and this actually reminds me of the several Chinese Nationalist divisions which wore basically full German pre war unis and helmets and carried a mix of German/American/Brit gear (and that's not alt history!).

Not to get all "stitch Nazi" on you  (budumbum!Rolling Eyes) but it looks like you've got him in an M43 tunic, and by that point in the war it's unlikely the Germans were sending anything to anyone other than their allies like Finland or Hungary. Probably much more likely in an M36 or even M28 Reichswehr tunic (don't think that's ever been made in 1/6), since the most likely time frame for military export would be 1933-1939 for Germany.

Thanks Tankgirlfuzzy, I'm happy that you enjoyed the story and the figure too. I also have a soft spot for WWII german uniforms and helmets which is one of the reason my alt history guys wear them. And as you said I drew inspiration from the Chinese nationalists but also from post-war era militaries that made use of the stahlhelm too like Afghanistan and the Dominican Republic. There was also a pre-WWII conflicts in the americas like the Chaco War which I  also drew inspiration from.

Oh don't worry about that, I chose the tunic for it's looks not for the accuracy, I call it hollywood style where cool/style is above accuracy. I don't think those tunics have been made however, I know there are WWI tunics around which I did consider getting originally but the price of the ones I found sent me in the opposite direction. 😁

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Theboo-bomb wrote:
tankgirlfuzzy wrote:This is just awesome, like just about all of your alt history stuff! Not only do you construct a convincing history with lots of detail, the figure is terrific too! I have a total soft spot for WWII German unis and gear, and this actually reminds me of the several Chinese Nationalist divisions which wore basically full German pre war unis and helmets and carried a mix of German/American/Brit gear (and that's not alt history!).

Thanks Tankgirlfuzzy, I'm happy that you enjoyed the story and the figure too. I also have a soft spot for WWII german uniforms and helmets which is one of the reason my alt history guys wear them. And as you said I drew inspiration from the Chinese nationalists but also from post-war era militaries that made use of the stahlhelm too like Afghanistan and the Dominican Republic. There was also a pre-WWII conflicts in the americas like the Chaco War which I  also drew inspiration from.

Oh don't worry about that, I chose the tunic for it's looks not for the accuracy, I call it hollywood style where cool/style is above accuracy. I don't think those tunics have been made however, I know there are WWI tunics around which I did consider getting originally but the price of the ones I found sent me in the opposite direction. 😁
"Soft spot" is putting it mildly for me--I grew up in Taiwan where all the WWII TV and movies about our "heroic resistance" v. the Japanese depicted the soldiers wearing exactly such outfits, usually in some form of Panzer Grey too, which is not quite accurate, but once again subtly burrowing its associations of heroism/patriotism/strength deep into my subconscious. So when I became interested in WWII European theater not long after, I naturally thought of the Germans as awesome because they looked just like the Chinese heroes I'd been brainwashed into idolizing. Took me a long time to get out from under all that propaganda and learn the true history of WWII. But, that soft spot still remains. I forget where I read this, but "if WWII were a fashion show, the Germans would have won without firing a shot," or something like that!

And yeah, Hollywood style over accuracy. You know which movie was probably most egregious, but we all still love it? Raiders of the Lost Ark. There they were, in 1936, showing Germans in Egypt with full Afrika Korps kit/insignia/uniforms a full five years before it existed, carrying stuff like mp-38s (3 years before they existed), and rocket launchers 7 years too early. And the real doozy was the full concrete U-boot base "somewhere in the Mediterranean!"  Rolling Eyes Laughing

Anyway, great job again. Keep it up!

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
tankgirlfuzzy wrote:"Soft spot" is putting it mildly for me--I grew up in Taiwan where all the WWII TV and movies about our "heroic resistance" v. the Japanese depicted the soldiers wearing exactly such outfits, usually in some form of Panzer Grey too, which is not quite accurate, but once again subtly burrowing its associations of heroism/patriotism/strength deep into my subconscious. So when I became interested in WWII European theater not long after, I naturally thought of the Germans as awesome because they looked just like the Chinese heroes I'd been brainwashed into idolizing. Took me a long time to get out from under all that propaganda and learn the true history of WWII. But, that soft spot still remains. I forget where I read this, but "if WWII were a fashion show, the Germans would have won without firing a shot," or something like that!

And yeah, Hollywood style over accuracy. You know which movie was probably most egregious, but we all still love it? Raiders of the Lost Ark. There they were, in 1936, showing Germans in Egypt with full Afrika Korps kit/insignia/uniforms a full five years before it existed, carrying stuff like mp-38s (3 years before they existed), and rocket launchers 7 years too early. And the real doozy was the full concrete U-boot base "somewhere in the Mediterranean!"  Rolling Eyes Laughing

Anyway, great job again. Keep it up!

I get you, I grew up with whatever little snippets my grandfather would share with us about WWII and Korea, most of it was about the uniforms, or the vehicles or about the guns and the strategies. Most of what he shared seemed to be the little happy moments of the conflicts he was in, sharing a cup of hot chocolate or seeing snow fall for the first time, he would talk about the cultures he saw and the people, rarely did he ever talk about his experiences in the war. He did talk about what the nazis did though my grandma always shushed him when he would stray into further details, did learn about all that later on.

And yeah, everytime I remember the Raiders of the lost ark RPG I just, laugh in my mind, it just looked out of place and the first time I watched the movie it actually threw me off, I was like "Wait... is it WWII times or is it cold war times?" But hey, that's how hollywood goes, at least they didn't leave modern coffee cups on set or something like that. 🤣

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Wow, you're the descendant of a WWII and Korea vet! At least he told you some things and seemed open about it. Must have been some experience to hear him tell you those stories. And it's actually interesting he wanted to tell you about the bad stuff but was shushed by your grandma! It seems from anecdotal evidence most didn't or wouldn't talk about it even if you asked them.

I didn't meet too many WWII vets in my life, but they were mostly very reticent. I have at least one story which I find heartbreaking, but I won't go into that here.

Yeah, that RPG!  Razz

Stryker2011

Stryker2011
Founding Father
My maternal grandfather served in WWII, but sadly I never knew him -- nor did my mother. He was captured near the tail end of the European campaign, sent to a POW camp, and when he and 3 others tried to escape, was shot and killed, all while my grandmother was pregnant, and gave birth to my mom. I never knew any of this until after my grandmother passed, but very little was actually told to me outside of the above from one of my aunts -- my grandfather's oldest. I just know that my middle name was his first -- something I hated as a kid since my middle name is "very old fashioned", but now I proudly own that middle name. My father-in-law is a Korean War vet, but he never talks about it. Ever. (Maybe it's why he's been a functioning alcoholic for most of his 85 years...). I often wish my grandmother had lived long enough to tell me about him, but she passed when I was 15 and I honestly didn't care much about "ancient history" at the time. I also found out my grandmother, back in the late 20s, who was raised in Chicago, dated one of Al Capone's "Boys"; my mom showed me a picture of her with him in a "speak-easy" -- another footnote in my family's history I wish I had been able to ask her about.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Theboobomb.

He who dies with the most toys wins!

[Alt History] Batallon de Cazadores, the elite troops of the nation.  C8485110

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
tankgirlfuzzy wrote:Wow, you're the descendant of a WWII and Korea vet! At least he told you some things and seemed open about it. Must have been some experience to hear him tell you those stories. And it's actually interesting he wanted to tell you about the bad stuff but was shushed by your grandma! It seems from anecdotal evidence most didn't or wouldn't talk about it even if you asked them.

I didn't meet too many WWII vets in my life, but they were mostly very reticent. I have at least one story which I find heartbreaking, but I won't go into that here.

Yeah, that RPG!  Razz

I had two veteran grandparents but I spent more time with my maternal one since I lived basically next door, my other grandpa served in Korea but again, He was far more silent about his service and rarely talked about it. My grandma wouldn't let grandpa talk about the horrors of war, she was quite a pacifist person, she didn't like violence even in movies. However one of the main reasons my grandpa avoided it was because of his own loses, his younger brother was killed in Korea to enemy mortar fire, according to my Mother who is the one that knows more about it my grandfather saw his brother and a handful of other guys be blown up by a mortar round that landed in their position, after that he basically bottled all the horrible parts of his service away and would avoid talking about the true face of war, you could tell when a story would start to get heavy when he would stop and rub his head.

However, while his stories planted the seed of my interest in history I feel that it was more his life after the military that made me admire him more, he built houses for free, giving people homes at a time when poverty was an all time high, he was a firefighter and later Firechief too, he lived through the rather historical moment of when the Insular Firefighters simply became the Puerto Rico fire department. In his own words "I had nothing and the army gave me something, it gave me a reason and a footing to get ahead and in doing so we helped so many." I should note that he was opposed to me and my brother joining the military, he didn't want us to have to experience war, I still remember when 9/11 happened and how he said that he would not allow my brother (eldest at the time) to get drafted and that if he had to report to the army he would do it.

Stryker2011 wrote:My maternal grandfather served in WWII, but sadly I never knew him -- nor did my mother. He was captured near the tail end of the European campaign, sent to a POW camp, and when he and 3 others tried to escape, was shot and killed, all while my grandmother was pregnant, and gave birth to my mom. I never knew any of this until after my grandmother passed, but very little was actually told to me outside of the above from one of my aunts -- my grandfather's oldest. I just know that my middle name was his first -- something I hated as a kid since my middle name is "very old fashioned", but now I proudly own that middle name. My father-in-law is a Korean War vet, but he never talks about it. Ever. (Maybe it's why he's been a functioning alcoholic for most of his 85 years...). I often wish my grandmother had lived long enough to tell me about him, but she passed when I was 15 and I honestly didn't care much about "ancient history" at the time. I also found out my grandmother, back in the late 20s, who was raised in Chicago, dated one of Al Capone's "Boys"; my mom showed me a picture of her with him in a "speak-easy" -- another footnote in my family's history I wish I had been able to ask her about.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, Theboobomb.

Don't worry about hijacking anything Stryker, like yourself I also considered WWII and it's history "things of the past" I would really like to go back in time and slap myself into asking questions instead of thinking history is just out there on the internet, people are history. It's sad your grandfather met such a fate. Your grandma also sounds like she led an interesting life too, can't imagine the sort of stories that she would have told of such times

tankgirlfuzzy

tankgirlfuzzy
Boo-bomb,

What you said about your grandpa has been very moving and he sounds like an amazing man who lived a full life dedicated to the service of others, a life very much to be proud of, and that you must be justifiably proud of. What a privilege it is for me to hear even a snippet about him and his life, as well as those of your other relatives you mentioned. Thank you for sharing it, truly.

Theboo-bomb

Theboo-bomb
tankgirlfuzzy wrote:Boo-bomb,

What you said about your grandpa has been very moving and he sounds like an amazing man who lived a full life dedicated to the service of others, a life very much to be proud of, and that you must be justifiably proud of. What a privilege it is for me to hear even a snippet about him and his life, as well as those of your other relatives you mentioned. Thank you for sharing it, truly.

I'm happy to share and glad that you enjoyed some of his life story.  [Alt History] Batallon de Cazadores, the elite troops of the nation.  1f600

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum