OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague s44-s45 (small bust body)

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 8]

DarthJ

I simply use bits of paper handkerchiefs or similar to fill gaps and tighten fits.  Plenty available, doesn't damage anything. If you feel artistic you could even make papier-maché out of that paper.

A trick from the model builders world would be to take the closest fitting peg, heat it (gently) and then squeeze it around the neck ball.
Note I didn't try this myself, I'm waiting for a guinea pig.

skywalkersaga

'Neck melt'?? Never heard of that.... do you have an example?

MeMyself&I

skywalkersaga wrote:'Neck melt'?? Never heard of that.... do you have an example?

Ditto. That seems like a rare occurrence?

DarthJ

Don't know about "neck melt" but "hip and other parts) melt" is very common for the Dusty figure from Kenner.

An ugly example borrowed from Ebay. Still $29.95.

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague s44-s45 (small bust body) - Page 8 S-l16010

MeMyself&I

MeMyself&I
DarthJ wrote:Don't know about "neck melt" but "hip and other parts) melt" is very common for the Dusty figure from Kenner.

An ugly example borrowed from Ebay. Still $29.95.

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague s44-s45 (small bust body) - Page 8 S-l16010

That’s, uh, wow. Dang. That’s terrifying  NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague s44-s45 (small bust body) - Page 8 1f601  NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague s44-s45 (small bust body) - Page 8 1f602 NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague s44-s45 (small bust body) - Page 8 1f605

davidd

davidd
skywalkersaga wrote:'Neck melt'?? Never heard of that.... do you have an example?

It is a common issue with Pullip fashion dolls when the original heads have been rebodied on to Obitsu bodies. At one point there was an online database cataloging instances of neck melt:

https://cauldroness.livejournal.com/64719.html

The hard plastic of the head dissolves, discolors, and "melts" where it is in direct contact with the body.

Here is a fairly detailed explanation of the cause, according to an interview with a chemist who specializes in plastics:

http://blythelife.com/index.php/2012/09/21/the-cause-of-doll-melt/

The issue is also known as "Mego Melt," as vintage Mego figures are particularly prone to deterioration where hard plastic is in contact with softer plastic:

http://megomuseum.com/community/archive/index.php/t-2758.html

csyeung

csyeung
Whoa! Thanks for the info Davidd! I never knew about this, interesting stuff!

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Interesting, I knew some plastics could melt and ooze (like what can happen with older kenner/hasbro action figures), but didn't realise they could affect the other plastics near them. Shocked

Ignoring current 'official' Star Wars content for my own sanity.

DarthJ

Not only plastics, it can burn holes through clothing too, see my picture.

blackpool

blackpool
geeez! Never feed your dolls with chili!

Diana

Diana
I gotta recommend blutack once again for the neck connector. Easy to portion, as you can always remove stuff easily if you put in too much. No mess either.

davidd

davidd
Continuing the off-topic discussion: here's an example of Mattel Monster High hard plastic accessories reacting with the plastic of a Ziploc bag:

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague s44-s45 (small bust body) - Page 8 50885978151_47bff2249c

Which kinda sucks because I have nearly all my dolls, toys, and action figures stored in Ziploc bags!

The accessory necklace on the Monster High doll dissolved in to a puddle of goo, and melted through the bag it was in and had begun dissolving the bag next to it. Surprisingly, there was no damage to the actual doll body.

Sounds like there should be a specific topic dedicated to "melt."

Back on topic, here's S45 getting ready for Halloween. (The face sculpts for the S44/45 are really cute!)

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague s44-s45 (small bust body) - Page 8 52405443644_c06f23d3d4

And here she is tracking zombies in The Wasteland:

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague s44-s45 (small bust body) - Page 8 51652198942_fb6859aee9

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Geez. That's awful. Idk how the 1/6 stuff compares but i'm thinking of changing some of my storage methods now...

ETA: Diana, I'm glad you've had good experiences with blu-tac, but I have avoided it myself ever since having a negative experience several years ago. It sort of 'sweated' and left a kind of oily stain on something. Perhaps it was just because of environmental reasons but it did give me pause from using it on any action figures that have fabric clothing.

davidd

davidd
skywalkersaga wrote:
ETA: Diana, I'm glad you've had good experiences with blu-tac, but I have avoided it myself ever since having a negative experience several years ago.

For action figure purposes, I sometimes use something called "museum wax." It is similar to blu-tac, but it is colorless and supposedly non-reactive.

I have never used it for "long term" purposes, but the museum wax is effective for getting figures to hold objects, or for temporarily securing clothing or costumes.

https://www.amazon.com/Quakehold-44111-13-Ounce-Museum-Wax/dp/B000FJQQHC/

Diana

Diana
davidd wrote:Back on topic, here's S45 getting ready for Halloween. (The face sculpts for the S44/45 are really cute!)
That face is indeed adorable! Very Happy

skywalkersaga wrote:ETA: Diana, I'm glad you've had good experiences with blu-tac, but I have avoided it myself ever since having a negative experience several years ago. It sort of 'sweated' and left a kind of oily stain on something. Perhaps it was just because of environmental reasons but it did give me pause from using it on any action figures that have fabric clothing.

davidd wrote:For action figure purposes, I sometimes use something called "museum wax." It is similar to blu-tac, but it is colorless and supposedly non-reactive.

I have never used it for "long term" purposes, but the museum wax is effective for getting figures to hold objects, or for temporarily securing clothing or costumes.

https://www.amazon.com/Quakehold-44111-13-Ounce-Museum-Wax/dp/B000FJQQHC/

Oooh! Interesting, thank you for the info! I was wondering why it wasn't the first answer to these questions. Laughing
But yes, I've not had any problems. It usually gets quite hard after it's been in there for a while, which is no problem at all. Must be environmental. Or you got a bad batch or something. My room gets anywhere between 15°C and 40°C, if I forget to turn off the infrared radiator over night Rolling Eyes , so I suppose that's not the factor. I can't say anything about high humidity though.

191NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague s44-s45 (small bust body) - Page 8 Empty I got mine in Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:12 am

Willmatron

I bought one listed as suntan. but in came in slightly off color. Now I'm experiencing a little buyer's remorse. NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague s44-s45 (small bust body) - Page 8 Img_2015

I'll get better pictures so I can show the skin tone off.

Willmatron

Here's the first of the newer pictures.

NEW PRODUCT: TBLeague s44-s45 (small bust body) - Page 8 Img_2016

I have a couple more, but I figured I would put one out right now. Maybe it's the lighting in here.

Spartan06

Spartan06
Willmatron wrote:

I'll get better pictures so I can show the skin tone off.

Wow, that photo really shows the size difference between the S45 and the other figure.  

I bought one to build into a 1/6 scale armed schoolgirl, similar to the 1/12 schoolgirl Verycool put out this year (VCF-3001), but I was surprised by how small she looks next to my S09, S23s and S43 lady soldiers and super-heroes.

Still the size is fitting for a "student" and that face is adorable IMHO.  Nice work on the settings for yours!

Willmatron

Thanks. That's the Super7 Ultimate's TMNT Baxter Stockman.

skywalkersaga

skywalkersaga
Regarding the skintone of the suntan figure, that looks like the usual tbleague 'suntan' skintone to me. Tbleague's idea of 'suntan' is itself not very tan, unfortunately. We often complain about this here on the fourm. If you are having a problem with it--- perhaps it seems too 'grey' and you'd like to change it?--- there are ways to 'warm' it up a bit.

See these threads:

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t6209-how-to-color-a-phicen-tbleague-with-shoe-cream

https://onesixthfigures.forumotion.com/t5224-kayla-s-experiments-with-phicen-tbleague-coloring-body-hands-and-feet

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum