OneSixthFigures
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
OneSixthFigures

An online community to discuss and share news about sixth-scale figures, with an emphasis on either custom or commercial articulated figures.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Newer LDDoll Bodies 27M and 32BOY (NSFW?)

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
For a previous LDDoll review, see HERE.

More photos HERE.

Introduction

I finally got around to writing up a new LDDoll review, occasioned by the acquisition of a couple of new bodies. As a result of some deal incentives, I got another male body, which came in a deathly pale complexion (labeled "normal"), then found a female body I liked better than the ones I had seen before, being shorter and curvier, and a nice "wheat" color, and finally got the new male body in the more reasonable "wheat" color as well.

Note on model numbering and naming. Female bodies are generally given a number that corresponds to the approximate/rounded-up height in cm, followed by a letter to indicate S(mall), M(edium), L(arge), and X(tra)L(arge) breasts. So, 27M means a female body nominally 27 cm tall, with medium breasts. Male bodies are given a number corresponding to the approximate/rounded-up eight in cm, followed by the word "BOY." So, 32BOY means a male body nominally 32 cm tall. The referenced heights include the heads, which are not sold with the bodies. Color options include "Beautiful White," "Semi-White," "Normal White," "Normal," "Pink," "Soft Red," and "Wheat." Special feature coloring is available at different levels: "Simple Makeup," "Full Makeup," and "Real Makeup." One can also choose between poseable ("finger bone") and unposeable finger options. For some female bodies there are apparently regular and advanced elbow joints (not sure what the difference between them, I got the regular and it works fine as far as I can tell). It is not clear to me whether all body models and skin tone, make up, and finger combinations have actually been produced. What is available at different sellers may differ, and with so many variables, one should look carefully at the options, as the promotional images might not reflect the precise version that is listed. That is how I ended up with that very pale ("normal") body, for which I ended up having to custom paint a blank resin head.

Newer LDDoll Bodies 27M and 32BOY (NSFW?) Ldd0110

Packaging

The packaging is exactly the same as in the previous review, apart from the use of a matte rather than glossy finish on the cardboard of the box. So I will not review it in any detail. The boxes are not distinguished in any way between models or sexes, but the specific details are indicated on a series of checkboxes printed on one side of the box's exterior.

Newer LDDoll Bodies 27M and 32BOY (NSFW?) Ldd0210

Comparison of LDDoll bodies to each other.

The 32BOY bodies I got are identical, both without "makeup," with "finger bones," one "wheat," the other "normal" (which is very pale). Since I didn't like the "makeup" on the 30BOY body (reviewed previously), I didn't select this option and painted the nipples myself. Which reminded me how much I hate working with silicone. The 30BOY body is "wheat," with "finger bones," and with "makeup." The 27M body was ordered in "wheat" and with "finger bones," but also came with at least "Simple Makeup" that I never specified.

Newer LDDoll Bodies 27M and 32BOY (NSFW?) Ldd0310

Comparisons to other bodies

The female 27M body is nicely short (in fact less than 27 cm with the head, the way I placed it) and has more curves than most of my go-to TBLeague bodies. It is also more anatomically correct/explicit than TBLeague and perhaps even Jiaou bodies (pre-censorship). Here is a comparison to TBLeague's S25B, which is a little taller. (Perhaps I should have compared to S27B instead.)

Newer LDDoll Bodies 27M and 32BOY (NSFW?) Ldd0410

The 32BOY bodies are naturally taller than the 30BOY body reviewed previously. They are also leaner and younger looking, as opposed to more muscular and more mature. They are also anatomically correct, but with a permanent mold similar to the pre-censorship Jiaou bodies, and without the swappable options that were available with 30BOY. Here is how they compare to some similar Jiaou and TBLeague bodies.

Newer LDDoll Bodies 27M and 32BOY (NSFW?) Ldd0510

Articulation

The articulation is very extensive and generally excellent, rivaling or in some instances surpassing that of TBLeague bodies. That said, the movement is a little less precise. The real problem remains the inability to stand unsupported -- and supporting the bodies involves the additional issue of them being oily (even after some treatment with silicone finishing powder) -- with these seamless ankles. The elbows and knees bend a little more naturally (sharply) than with the 30BOY body, but the more delicate and shorter fingers are perhaps a little harder to pose naturally or functionally. While I still wouldn't leave these figures in extreme positions indefinitely, I am under the impression that the silicone skin/flesh is more resilient to stretching and temperature and humidity variation than the TPE material used by TBLeague and Jiaou Doll.

Newer LDDoll Bodies 27M and 32BOY (NSFW?) Ldd0610
Newer LDDoll Bodies 27M and 32BOY (NSFW?) Ldd0710
Newer LDDoll Bodies 27M and 32BOY (NSFW?) Ldd0810
Newer LDDoll Bodies 27M and 32BOY (NSFW?) Ldd0910
Newer LDDoll Bodies 27M and 32BOY (NSFW?) Ldd1010

The figures can be made to stand by supporting them on each other or against a sufficiently heavy piece of furniture or wall backdrop. If you do that, keep in mind the oiliness of the material, which may leave temporary or permanent marks on whatever it touches. Treating the body with silicone finishing powder helps, but it gets worn off (or more likely absorbed) faster than on TPE, especially when handled. The flexible fingers can hold reasonably light weapons, tools, and accessories reasonably well, especially if the handles are thin enough to allow substantial wraparound.

Newer LDDoll Bodies 27M and 32BOY (NSFW?) Ldd1110
Newer LDDoll Bodies 27M and 32BOY (NSFW?) Ldd1210

Improvements

From my limited experience with LDDoll action figures, it would seem like these newer products (or newer production runs) have improved the range and appearance of the articulation (for example, the elbow and knee bends), and also have virtually undetectable seams. By contrast, the seam on the 30BOY body previously reviewed was much more obvious. Visible seams are a frequent problem with silicone seamless bodies, which makes this all the more impressive.

Newer LDDoll Bodies 27M and 32BOY (NSFW?) Ldd1310
Newer LDDoll Bodies 27M and 32BOY (NSFW?) Ldd1410

Clothing

LDDoll products do not come with any included clothing. With non-detachable hands and feet, they can be expected to be more difficult to clothe than more conventional action figures. Nevertheless, provided sleeve and pant-leg openings are wide enough, it is possible to dress them. Naturally, skimpy clothing is easiest, and since this is a body review, that's what is mostly shown here. Gloves are practically impossible, and footwear options are limited. I haven't really tried yet. If you do manage to get the feet in footwear that encloses the ankles and the lower leg, it might be theoretically possible to get the figure to stand on its own, although its jiggly nature might still get in the way of achieving stability.

Newer LDDoll Bodies 27M and 32BOY (NSFW?) Ldd1510
Newer LDDoll Bodies 27M and 32BOY (NSFW?) Ldd1610
Newer LDDoll Bodies 27M and 32BOY (NSFW?) Ldd1710
Newer LDDoll Bodies 27M and 32BOY (NSFW?) Ldd1810

Head matching

The skin tones are not completely consistent, with the "wheat" of the 30BOY body being considerably darker than the "wheat" of the 32BOY body; that is possibly just a little bit darker than the "wheat" of the female 27M body. The female "wheat" skin tone is rich and a welcome option for matching darker heads than would match TBLeague's female "suntan." There might be some female heads to match the "normal" skin tone, but I can't imagine any male ones would -- I had to custom paint a head to make this body usable (painting the whole body was too big a challenge). Here are some alternatives.

Newer LDDoll Bodies 27M and 32BOY (NSFW?) Ldd1910

Overall

Retailing at c. $200 to $280 (on eBay) and not being able to stand on their own or work with much footwear, these bodies are no functional substitutes for TBLeague or Jiaou Doll ones. On the other hand, they are almost completely seamless (the exception being the swappable head), and seem to have improved in function and appearance from past models or production runs. The price point and ineffective ankles are disappointments, but otherwise I'm pleasantly surprised by these products. Depending on one's specific needs or preferences, they might well be worth it.

Newer LDDoll Bodies 27M and 32BOY (NSFW?) Ldd2010

I hope this has been helpful. As always, what do you think? Meanwhile, tickle fight:

Newer LDDoll Bodies 27M and 32BOY (NSFW?) Ldd2110

More photos HERE.

Some other recent reviews:

Iconiq Studios Muhammad Ali

Maha 1/6 scale modular body

NBA Real Masterpiece Luka Dončić 1/6 Scale Limited Edition Figure Review and more

ANT Flexible Female Seamless Body Review

Hot Toys Star Wars Cobb Vanth

Hot Toys Star Wars Luke Skywalker Bespin Review and Fun

Hot Toys Star Wars Return of the Jedi Scout Trooper and Speeder Bike

Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Assault Tank Commander

Hot Toys Star Wars Rogue One Director Krennic

Homelander on a Budget (review of Toys Works' The Republican and comparisons to the others)

TBLeague Female Seamles Bodies S24A-S27B

Jiaou Doll Male Bodies

Kamisoul MAF Extreme Seamless Body with Jiaou and TBleague comparison

World Box AT030 Body

Six New-ish Bodies comparison

HH Model & Haoyu Toys Dragon Banner Bearer

Premier Toys PT0001 Wasteland Gladiator

Toys Headquarters Vol 003 Fighter

TBLeague Ramesses the Great

Figure Masters Vamp Lou

LDDoll Seamless Figure Body

John Constantine (Thunder Toys Hell Detective)

SooSoo Toys Frozen Man

SooSoo Toys Mr Butcher

Sideshow and Hot Toys Star Wars Scout Troopers (comparison)

Thunder Toys Hell Detective

Hot Toys Star Wars Emperor Palpatine

TBLeague Barbarian Soul

Hot Toys Star Wars Return of the Jedi Stormtrooper

ADD Toys War Wolves Back (muscle version)

World Box AT027 body

Hot Toys Star Wars Solo Mudtrooper

Sideshow Star Wars TIE Fighter Pilot

Woo Toys WO-004 Fat Thor

HH HY Rome Infantry

HH HY Rome Centurion

Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (He-Man)

Mr Toys Barbarian Set B (Conan the Barbarian)

Dragon and TBLeague Alexander the Great (comparison)

Kautic Plastik Roman Infantry 2019

JX Toys Peggy Carter

TBLeague 1:12 seamless male bodies

Hasbro Star Wars Rogue One Imperial Combat Assault Tank

Hasbro Star Wars imperials 2019

Hasbro Star Wars Jabba's Tatooine Skiff

CC Toys Unexplored Nate (summer version)

Jiaou Doll Boss Chair

Hot Toys Star Wars Solo Patrol Trooper

China Toys Teutonic Knight

Star Ace 300 Queen Gorgo

Black Box Toys Spectre Girl (Madeleine Swann)

Hot Toys Star Wars Royal Guard

VS Toys Bathroom

Coomodel Vikings Vanquisher Viking Ship

Coomodel Vikings Vanquisher Valhalla (double set)

TBLeague M36 body

Chinese wooden chairs and table sets A and B

HY Toys Armchair

TBLeague M35 body

Sideshow Jack Burton

Disney Star Wars Director Orson Krennic

TBLeague Spartan Goddess of War

AR Toys Hellman

Dragon Men in Black 3 Agent K 1969

#lddoll #27m #32boy #male #female #body #review

Stryker2012

Stryker2012
Founding Father
Hmmm. Thanks for the detailed review, Ian. I have to say, however, that I don’t find these bodies all that great. With the limbs bent, they kind of remind me of the rubber Gumby figures of my childhood.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who dies with the most toys wins!

Newer LDDoll Bodies 27M and 32BOY (NSFW?) 1f10

Visisonor

Visisonor
Great to see a review of female LDDoll body from you, Gubernator.

Your articulation shots remind me a picture of Luke tied up literally in a knot with Yoda standing nearby and saying something along the lines of "Look like a great warrior do I now, hmm?".

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll say that it's nice that realistic details are a configurable feature, but inability to stand renders these bodies unusable for me.

Also, there is something off with the sculpting of floppy feet. They just don't look right. And I guess the joints at extreme bends look off too, as Stryker noticed. On the other hand, muscles on the newer male bodies look more symmetrical than on the old one.

As for the price, it should be lower when ordering directly from LDDoll. But that may require some Chinese skills or advanced translate-fu.

madnug

madnug
the seamless hands and feet when posed seems to look like fantastic four plastic man.

somehow the proportion of the arms feet and fingers are on the swollen side, like Popeye the sailorman.

anyways thanks GF to hv it reviewed for us.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Stryker2012 wrote:Hmmm. Thanks for the detailed review, Ian. I have to say, however, that I don’t find these bodies all that great. With the limbs bent, they kind of remind me of the rubber Gumby figures of my childhood.

You are very welcome. You have a point -- although I think there has been improvement on that front (I don't know whether it is slightly better design or the different body type that is responsible), the curves at the joints still appear a little soft. Mind you, it is possible that I haven't figured out how to pose it to best effect or futzed enough with it in particular shot. 

I think the interior skeleton is made of intertwined wires, threaded through metal tubes for the parts that are not supposed to bend, still leaving a fairly smooth curve in the areas that do bend. But this is just my conjecture.

Visisonor wrote:Great to see a review of female LDDoll body from you, Gubernator.

Your articulation shots remind me a picture of Luke tied up literally in a knot with Yoda standing nearby and saying something along the lines of "Look like a great warrior do I now, hmm?".

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'll say that it's nice that realistic details are a configurable feature, but inability to stand renders these bodies unusable for me.

Also, there is something off with the sculpting of floppy feet. They just don't look right. And I guess the joints at extreme bends look off too, as Stryker noticed. On the other hand, muscles on the newer male bodies look more symmetrical than on the old one.

As for the price, it should be lower when ordering directly from LDDoll. But that may require some Chinese skills or advanced translate-fu.

Thank you. I'm always impressed when these seamless bodies allow good or even superior articulation compared to the more traditional ones. The inability to stand on their own annoys me even more than the price. I won't be "army-building" with these, and the only reason I got more after the initial one was a combination of curiosity (about new body types) and financial incentives -- leave something in your eBay watchlist long enough, and the sellers might start sending you offers, and then you might be able to haggle out a significantly lower price. But even so, it is still much more than a TBLeague body.

The feet's design gives them a somewhat high ankle, which does not look quite right in certain positions. Again, I might not have spent enough effort on every area in every shot, but the design is not necessarily perfect. You are right about the symmetry on the new male body's musculature, and this is another area of improvement over the old one.

Thanks for your suggestion: I just checked out the official LDDoll store (at least their storefront on eBay), and ironically the selection did not seem to be complete and the options are limited. I was looking at the female 28 body (now that I can expect to be actually a little shorter than 28 cm) as another one I might be interested in getting (can't figure out the bust size but the one they are showing is not as extreme as the ones I won't consider). If you select the flexible fingers option (which is tied to something they call "mechanical elbow" -- presumably the advanced elbow type, or do they mean an actual jointed elbow that would produce a sharper bend?), the body comes out to $245 (USD). This might be a little less than at other sellers, but still more than three TBLeague bodies.

madnug wrote:the seamless hands and feet when posed seems to look like fantastic four plastic man.

somehow the proportion of the arms feet and fingers are on the swollen side, like Popeye the sailorman.

anyways thanks GF to hv it reviewed for us.

Thank you very much, and also for bringing it up and providing more information on these bodies earlier/elsewhere.

I suppose it would be difficult to avoid the bendy rubber/swollen effects altogether with this type of design. On the other hand, between that and the silicone skin/flesh, there is less of a chance for something tearing and poking through. To be honest, I'm so amused with the poseability of the fingers that I'm less bothered by their limitations in appearance or the difficulty of manipulating them into as realistic a state as possible for every shot (which requires a good eye and patience). I also think there has been some improvement with the newer bodies, although clearly they could benefit from more improvements in design.

Zes

Zes
The long-awaited LDDoll review: excellent work!

I must say those pictures in the articulation sections are incredibly cursed. The stuff of nightmares Laughing

I'd like to add that the price is the cheapest when buying from LDDoll on Taobao.

https://lovely-doll.taobao.com/
https://shop410440695.taobao.com/

This also gives the full array of options when purchasing a body. Though, as Visisonor mentioned, one will need a Taobao account and be able to understand or translate Chinese. Another benefit of buying on Taobao is that you can get any skin tone you want. LDDoll allows you to send them a head sculpt so they can color match the silicone of the body.

French

French
Thanks for your detailed review, some positions remind me of horror movie characters moving around. That said, they are some serious contortionists.

Spoiler:

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Zes wrote:The long-awaited LDDoll review: excellent work!

I must say those pictures in the articulation sections are incredibly cursed. The stuff of nightmares Laughing

I'd like to add that the price is the cheapest when buying from LDDoll on Taobao.

https://lovely-doll.taobao.com/
https://shop410440695.taobao.com/

This also gives the full array of options when purchasing a body. Though, as Visisonor mentioned, one will need a Taobao account and be able to understand or translate Chinese. Another benefit of buying on Taobao is that you can get any skin tone you want. LDDoll allows you to send them a head sculpt so they can color match the silicone of the body.

Thank you, I'm glad you liked it. As for the articulation, I think I approached this with lowered expectations and am less horrified than you guys. But the ability to stand, to bend sharper at knees and elbows, and the price definitely still give an advantage to TBLeague and Jiaou. On the other hand, these are indeed more seamless, and you get different body types and theoretically even more skin tone options. Thanks for the Taobao links. Perhaps I should figure this out, but so far Aliexpress is as adventurous as I've gotten in online shopping. Smile

French wrote:Thanks for your detailed review, some positions remind me of horror movie characters moving around. That said, they are some serious contortionists.

You're very welcome, and funny. Yes, I was impressed with both "new" bodies. TBLeague and some (of the newer?) Jiaou bodies can do about as much. For the most part it is the traditional hard plastic bodies that end up being more limited. But there are seamless bodies, like ADD (they made Wolverine and Khal Drogo figures), which are very limited in articulation.

Diana

Diana
Hah! That was awesome and super useful, thank you!! Very cute photos and posing here and there, beyond what would have been useful. I much appreciate the care you put into these reviews. I love you

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Diana wrote:Hah! That was awesome and super useful, thank you!! Very cute photos and posing here and there, beyond what would have been useful. I much appreciate the care you put into these reviews. I love you
Thank you very much, Diana, I'm glad you liked it and appreciate your kind words. I love it when they can do so much in terms of articulation, even if goes beyond the useful or practical.

Ephiane

Ephiane
aha, this post is hidden here, I was already looking for it. No criticism of the clarity of the forum, unfortunately I'm a bit scatterbrained. Smile
Thank you Ian for your pioneering work, it is always very insightful for me. As always, you posed the new bodies beautifully. Hiding the wrists on the TBL bodies has always been annoying for me because I always like to depict the figures not as figures, but as close to real people as possible.
Thank you for your effort in showing all of this for us in such great pictures.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
Ephiane wrote: 
Thank you Ian for your pioneering work, it is always very insightful for me. As always, you posed the new bodies beautifully. Hiding the wrists on the TBL bodies has always been annoying for me because I always like to depict the figures not as figures, but as close to real people as possible.
Thank you for your effort in showing all of this for us in such great pictures.
Thank you very much, Ephiane, I'm glad you enjoyed it and found it informative.

angryboot

Thanks for the in-depth review. As usual, extremely helpful.

Would you mind sharing what head you used on the 27M? I don't think I've seen that headsculpt before.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
angryboot wrote:Thanks for the in-depth review.  As usual, extremely helpful.

Would you mind sharing what head you used on the 27M?  I don't think I've seen that headsculpt before.
You are very welcome.

The head used on the 27M in the majority of the photos was one of those many Jill Valentine heads that cropped up in the last couple of years. This one was purchased in February 2023 and was apparently by AF Toys, but I don't seem to be able to find the proper product listing. Here is the actual parted out head listing (out of stock by now) on Monkey Depot:

https://www.monkeydepot.com/Head_AF_Lila_p/aftl0001.htm

I pried off the molded hair, gave her an ear on her left side (not that it was going to be noticeable, but it's the principle of the thing), and rehaired her myself.

angryboot

Ah okay. Thanks! I like how it's small enough to not look out of place for a short fig. Still looking for a head for a small phicen body myself.

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
angryboot wrote:Ah okay. Thanks! I like how it's small enough to not look out of place for a short fig. Still looking for a head for a small phicen body myself.
You are very welcome. It is definitely small enough, that's why I picked it. I have been using this and other Jill Valentine heads (except the big Super Duck ones) with the petite S25B bodies (like the Valentine character in the previous LDDoll review), not just here.

angryboot

Found it. Monkey Depot goofed on the item's name. It's apparently a DAFTOYS F017 even though their cover photo shows a slightly different head.

Ebay item link

GubernatorFan

GubernatorFan
Founding Father
angryboot wrote:Found it.  Monkey Depot goofed on the item's name.  It's apparently a DAFTOYS F017 even though their cover photo shows a slightly different head.

Ebay item link
It certainly looks like it. I was wondering if it was the same or just very similar.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum